GTS PDK Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 07:29 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts
Default GTS PDK Driving

Hello friends

I read the forum for many years and learn a lot.
This is undoubtedly the professional forum I know, especially thanks to the amazing people who use it.

For our cause:

I finally fulfilled a dream and recently regenerated in the amazing GTS (my second Porsche). I'll upload photos at the weekend =)

Now, I have a small question - how to drive correctly in PDK (in manual mode)?
(In Reliability and Proper Maximum Utilization of PDK).

- What is the correct use with the statement (in use with the pedals) and the braking when lowering gear?

- Do you switch to first gear for a stop (in manual mode) or do you let the car download "auto" for first gear (even though you are in manual mode)?

Of course, if anyone has anything to add I would love to hear

Thanks
Old 05-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

That is entirely a matter of choice. The PDK will not allow you to do anything that would harm the engine.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:31 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSpure
Hello friends

This is undoubtedly the professional forum I know, especially thanks to the amazing people who use it.

For our cause:

I finally fulfilled a dream and recently regenerated in the amazing GTS (my second Porsche). I'll upload photos at the weekend =)

- What is the correct use with the statement (in use with the pedals) and the braking when lowering gear?

- Do you switch to first gear for a stop (in manual mode) or do you let the car download "auto" for first gear (even though you are in manual mode)?

Thanks
Not sure if I understand your 1st question.
For the 2nd question - I like downshifting myself, typically earlier than it would have if it were in auto, just so I can hear more rev-matching and exhaust burble
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Originally Posted by Balr14
That is entirely a matter of choice. The PDK will not allow you to do anything that would harm the engine.
In a manual vehicle it is simple. Before a complete stop you step on the clutch and combine first gear with a complete stop, or, almost a stop.
In PDK is it "healthy" to step into first gear before stopping? I know that in other automatic models this can cause a "blow" (braking the transmission system)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:43 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I drive my 2011 GTS in "Sport" mode after a brief warm-up. However, I turn off the stiffer suspension button to keep the ride smoother. Interestingly, the "Sport" setting will not normally shift into 7th gear unless your speed is very high or the cruise control is engaged.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:47 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Originally Posted by byroncheung
Not sure if I understand your 1st question.
For the 2nd question - I like downshifting myself, typically earlier than it would have if it were in auto, just so I can hear more rev-matching and exhaust burble
It's clear to me that while upshifting the foot on the pedal (like LC)
What happens in the downshift? Is it recommended to lift the accelerator pedal leg like a real manual?
Old 05-19-2020, 01:05 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

You are over-analyzing this.
The following users liked this post:
lamacan (05-19-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 05-19-2020, 01:42 PM
GTSpure
Racer

You are over-analyzing this.
Possibly. LOL
I'm just curious that this is the first time with a dual clutch and without warranty (and no warranty).
I'm sure there are a number of ways to drive a PDK (like regular manuals) that may keep the gear system and assemblies more in PDK.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Hello friends

For our cause:

Thanks
In M mode one shifts up and downshifts down at will.

When braking to a stop let the transmission downshift by itself. No need to downshift to 1st and change the lever to N.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

It's clear to me that while upshifting the foot on the pedal (like LC)
What happens in the downshift? Is it recommended to lift the accelerator pedal leg like a real manual?
No need to change the throttle actuation while the PDK shifts - that is a key advantage PDK offers.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:29 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

I am in the same boat. PDK in a car with no warranty. Just drive the car in sport mode until you get used to it. The dang thing is so intuitive you may find you don't need manual. It will upshift and downshift to keep revs in the range you select (normal, sport, sport plus). I hardly ever drive mine in manual mode becaue the car just seems to know what I want. To quote the Brits it's brilliant! The more aggressively you drive, the more aggressive the car becomes. It's frankly very refreshing after driving so many "dumb" cars.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:14 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Thanks all! I am so happy with my choice of GTS PDK. I'll share photos soon ... Cheers!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:38 PM
Risk3233
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't downshift to "1" when coming to a stop. I am usually in manual with sport on. I don't lift to upshift. This is for my 2012 GTS 4.

I found that my mpg is better in sport mode than regular. Shifting at 1,700 rpm in this engine is less efficient.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:23 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

There were some problems related to excess heat build-up in early year PDKs. They improved cooling, but I can't recall the year (2011 -2012?).
Old 05-19-2020, 10:41 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

There were some problems related to excess heat build-up in early year PDKs. They improved cooling, but I can't recall the year (2011 -2012?).
It's the addition of a 3rd "center" coolant radiator up front. Apparently it was a standard item for 997.2 PDK models sold in hot climate markets (UAE, etc.). Then it was added as a standard item in the US in (I think) 2011.

My 2010 didn't have it, but I had it added. However, I paid the 'full-fat' price for the upgrade kit: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...710603702kt10/

But you can build your own kit with the individual parts for way, way, way less if you assemble the parts list yourself.

Karl.

Quick Reply: GTS PDK Driving