Rear PASM shocks Bilstein B4 or B6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 09:05 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
Clutch failure today....
Any warning symptoms, noises or did it just fail all of a sudden?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

No warning, took off in 1st gear from stop sign and found stick shift meeting brick walls for all gears. No reverse, 2nd or any gears left. Unable to shift out of neutral, Never experienced anything like it before, been driving manual transmissions for years!
Old 05-21-2020, 11:57 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
No warning, took off in 1st gear from stop sign and found stick shift meeting brick walls for all gears. No reverse, 2nd or any gears left. Unable to shift out of neutral, Never experienced anything like it before, been driving manual transmissions for years!
Could it be the shifter cable and not the clutch?
Usually you'd experience slipping on a worn clutch.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Could it be the shifter cable and not the clutch?
Usually you'd experience slipping on a worn clutch.
Possibly, it is the cable.

Had similar experience with my 996. One day, during a commute, became stuck in neutral and would no longer get into gears. Turned out that the cable became ever so slightly out of adjustment due a broken cable clip (near the transmission). I cannot recall why, but I did not have the part replaced - the small part was either unavailable or the P-tax too great. My indy fastened the shifter cable back in place using stainless wire looped neatly. It worked, and will outlast the OE clip.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:13 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

My independent, Rennsport, Sealy Texas said something to the effect of a stuck throw out bearing, fixed with clutch kit. So new clutch it is
Old 08-22-2020, 01:23 PM
gilevans
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any longer-term thoughts on these shocks on your GTS?
Old 05-22-2023, 09:11 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Thread revival

Recently purchased a used 2010 997.2 C2S (30k miles, manual, PASM) that came equipped with H&R springs (too low in the front/too raked for my liking). Took the car in to have the springs swapped out for Eibach's and learned that both oem rear shocks were leaking. As the car is my daily driver (no track), the service advisor and I came to the agreement to have Bilstein B6 damptronic shocks/struts replaced all around along with new bump stops and tower mounts. It was the advisor's thought that B6's were better suited for the Eibach lowering springs as opposed to the B4s, and that the B8 (shorter units) may have kept the ride height too low. Will post up some thoughts as to the change in ride quality and change in height when I pick it up later this week.

Regards,

Last edited by oalvarez; 05-22-2023 at 09:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by oalvarez:
EVOMMM (06-02-2023), VT Blue (05-23-2023), waterpanda (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 12:35 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by oalvarez
Thread revival

Recently purchased a used 2010 997.2 C2S (30k miles, manual, PASM) that came equipped with H&R springs (too low in the front/too raked for my liking). Took the car in to have the springs swapped out for Eibach's and learned that both oem rear shocks were leaking. As the car is my daily driver (no track), the service advisor and I came to the agreement to have Bilstein B6 damptronic shocks/struts replaced all around along with new bump stops and tower mounts. It was the advisor's thought that B6's were better suited for the Eibach lowering springs as opposed to the B4s, and that the B8 (shorter units) may have kept the ride height too low. Will post up some thoughts as to the change in ride quality and change in height when I pick it up later this week.

Regards,
@oalvarez thanks for your post. I have some Eibach's I'm waiting to install on my 2011 C2S (58K miles, manual, PASM plus DSC) because I have endlessly debated whether to replace the B4s and change to B6s. Frankly, I want the improved aesthetics from a slightly lowered car, but I do not want to sacrifice the great blend of comfort/handling I have now with the B4s. In addition, I live at the end of a mile-long dirt road, so clearance can be an issue (seasonal car).

There are varying degrees of opinion out there, including a majority of people stating that the B6s are better suited to the Eibachs. Am curious what you think happens to ride comfort...too much of a sacrifice, or just right?

I am looking forward to your judgement.

Thx!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
oalvarez (05-23-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 11:34 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

@VT Blue
-2010 C2S w/PASM......the car had H&R springs when purchased, 30k miles on the odometer
-Ride height super raked/low in the front, less than pleasant when traversing bumpy/uneven roads in town
-Rear OEM shocks were found to be leaking
-New Bilstein B6 and Eibach springs including bump stops (rear) and shock/strut tower mounts all around

-First blush (two miles all in-city driving): sits balanced, nothing like it did with the H&R springs....I mean, perfectly balanced front and rear, zero rake...definitely sits higher than before, will provide measurements in short order. The car rides entirely differently than with the oem pasm units and h&r springs, feels more like a new car if you will (fresh valving), steering and simple cornering/braking is a felt difference. No more scraping going in and out of driveways (this is my daily driver) and I'm all for that. I don't know how much the suspension will settle (it's all of a few hours old), but if I could wave a wand and say presto-magico, drop another 1/4 inch, I would.

Will try and provide more info in time.

Regards,

Last edited by oalvarez; 05-25-2023 at 12:00 AM.
VT Blue (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 02:49 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Awesome @oalvarez and thanks so much, very helpful.

Let us know what you think once the car gets settled/if you're opinion changes.

Bob
oalvarez (05-25-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 03:16 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

quick update: weeks since items being installed.....rear sits the same, 26.75-26.875", but with approx five additional gallons of gas (now 3/4 full), the front sits 26.375".....my thought is that the lower front is simply due to the additional fuel weight and nothing else. Will probably go the route of coilovers to get the exact stance and ride I'm looking for and put the B6 and Eibach springs up for sale.

the one major positive up to now? I truly never worry about scraping when traversing driveways or the like.

edit: @VT Blue the more I drive it the more I think it is now stiffer than oem original pasm dampers when new.

Last edited by oalvarez; 06-03-2023 at 04:05 PM.
VT Blue (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 03:45 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Thanks @oalvarez .

Anything to add about the ride and handling since your previous post? Any degradation in comfort versus the B4s?

Thx!
Bob
oalvarez (06-03-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 06:11 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Thanks @oalvarez .

Anything to add about the ride and handling since your previous post? Any degradation in comfort versus the B4s?

Thx!
Bob
nothing new to add.....it is noticeably more firm than oem.....definitely handles a bit better around turns, a much more planted car, but one that you can definitely feel the bumps a bit more. plusses and minuses if you will. still trying to understand why lowering springs had no effect on ride height versus PASM oem springs.
VT Blue (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:35 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Thanks @oalvarez . I'm still debating what to do in my head...

Bob
oalvarez (06-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Rear PASM shocks Bilstein B4 or B6?