Sponsored by:

Engine Flush - Builders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Bump....... c'mon.... I thought this thread would generate a ton of comments... vitriol..... something??

How about this: does anyone know anyone who used a flush product on a Porsche? Maybe that will open things up.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-20-2020, 12:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Sorry Wayne, missed that post of yours from a few days ago.

Uh, no, not going into my 997 motor. Since I don't believe in snake oil type products or really adding anything to my oil - I'd rather just use an oil that has what I need in it already - I'm not the one stepping up for this test for you guys - and no, all of you stepping backward that makes it look like I stepped forward isn't going to work either Plus, from the photo of my 997 engine, I don't see that there's any build up to remove.

When I reinstalled a different 928 motor into my 928 about a year ago and did the oil pan gasket, this is what that motor looked like inside.

Because of the sludge buildup, in this motor I ran 2 oil changes adding a bottle of SeaFoam to the crankcase for 100-200 miles before draining and changing the oil. Surprisingly, I did not see a lot of gunk in the oil filter pleats like I was expecting to, so I'm not sure how effective those 2 SeaFoam treatments were, but the car is running great. That's the only time I've ever added anything to the oil on any of my cars and seemed warranted in this case. I ran Driven GP-1 oil in this motor as the 928 needs a heavier viscosity oil and doing a couple oil changes with only a couple hundred miles on each, didn't want to pay the $12/quart for Driven DT50, which is my normal heavier weight oil (928, 914, and boat). The GP-1 is a synthetic blend and uses the same base stock as the DT50 so completely compatible according to Driven which means I don't need to do a flush when I switch from GP-1 back to DT50. After about 600 miles (no SeaFoam in this batch), the oil is staying nice and clean and I don't have any drips or leaks from anywhere. I'm actually thinking about staying with this oil in this car, it's working so well and I think maybe the traditional oil part of the blend may be helpful to the older engine seals in this older motor. The oil is an unusual green color when new and still is, unlike Royal Purple where the purple dye burns off quickly.

That engine is currently in the car and not easy to pull the oil pan like it is in a 997, so I also can't tell you what difference that may have made with before and after pictures - and hope I never will.

Big difference in what the 997 engine looked like with the sump removed at 60,000 miles vs this older 928 motor that probably has 150-200k miles on it already, and unknown history, but these 928 engines are far more robust than the newer motors.

It's a lot prettier on the outside than it was on the inside.

Quick Reply: Engine Flush - Builders?