Sponsored by:

TPMS Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:15 PM
myronf
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TPMS Questions

I have a new to me 2011 911s. 997-2. When I picked up the car the previous owner said that the TPMS worked fine until the car battery went bad and he jump started it. Now the TPM inactive light is always on. Reprogramming it and driving may miles did not help. When I took the car in for a PPI, they told me that all wheel sensors showed 20 mo of life left in them and that I would need a control module. He claimed that it would cost approx $600 to replace. He also said that the module was under the car and in the middle between the cooling pipes.

I have done some research and while there is not much available it looks like the control module is in the Frunk near the brake fluiid reservor. Correrct??

There is one sensor in each wheel.
One antenna at each wheel.

Also is there a digital central antenna? Or is that part of the control module in the Frunk?

Is there anything else?

I have a Durametric Pro being loaned to me next week and hope to troubleshoot this.

I see modules on line from parted cars at reduced prices. Would one of those be plug and play?

If the fix is too expenseive, I would like to shut the system down with the Durametric. How difficult is that to do? What is the proccess?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Porsche tech could probably verify this 100% but you should only have the control module. That talks directly to the TPMS. Antenna at each wheel was when TPMS first came out.

I would really try new TPMS first. I have RARELY seen the module go bad. Also scanner to test TPMS life is really not all the accurate. Sort of a gimmick added because there is no real way to test and the longevity of TPMS is all over the board. With those TPMS being 9 yrs old chances are the TPMS are bad not the module.

It is a way easier and cheaper way to trouble shoot.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Z130
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd agree with trying to replace the TPMS sensors in the tires. Have a 2011 Maserati (car the same age) that was giving an error on the dash saying the system was malfunctioning. When I scanned the sensors they showed OK battery life but when I scanned the ECU it was giving low sensor voltage error codes. Wasn't sure if it was sensors or ECU since the the scan tool was showing OK battery life yet the ECU was saying the sensor voltage was low.

Changed the TPMS sensors and everything is now working.

Wasn't that expensive either $35 ea for the OEM Huf sensors (was for a Maserati but think Porsche is the same OEM) and $30 per wheel to mount them at the local tire store.

Have a 2011 911 as well and figuring I'll soon be going thru the same exercise soon on it too as the batteries are probably about the end of life.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:09 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

https://www.tpmsbargains.com/Porsche...-9008-05-4.htm
Old 05-08-2020, 09:34 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine weren't reading but tire center said they showed adequate battery life from remote reading. Changed out sensors and all worked fine. Can disable TPMS system with Durametric and check your own pressures like the good old days.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought these in late February and had them installed when I replaced all 4 tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Even though the old sensors worked just fine on my 2009 C2 and the car only has 24K miles, I decided that after 11 years they were destined to go at any time.

I liked the fact that I could order them in Grey since they match my wheels that are a Gun Metal color with polished highlights and lip.
The following 2 users liked this post by Astur:
goin2drt (05-09-2020), harry4159 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 11:27 AM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 110 Posts

The past few weeks my 2011 c2s has displayed the low tire pressure warning, due to right rear tire pressure reading “-“. I can get it to reset, but it only last a few days. Big-O used their scanner wand which indicated 20 months left. Heres the thing, I had the left rear changed last year while still under CPO, and at that time they reported that the RR was within spec and not yet needing replacement, but probably within a year or two. So the moral of the story is that I know I need a sensor in the RR, even though the Big-Os magic wand tool indicates otherwise. I will be ordering from TPMS Bargains soon.

OP, you are going to need new in-wheel sensors soon anyway so I recommend starting by replacing them first, and see if that solves your issue.
The following users liked this post:
goin2drt (05-09-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2020, 02:13 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

OP,

If you have not already done so, read the operator's manual. There are a number of reasons for the warning light that you will want to consider. TPM saved me a rear rim and tire.

You might check any and all fuses, especially the one that provides power to the module. Crazy stuff can happen during a jump start. My TPMS control unit fuse is Row B, fuse F3

If all fuses are good, you should considered disconnecting the battery negative cable for a few minutes, reconnect, wait a few minutes for the modules to do their boot ups and then go through the relearn process in the owner's manual? Be sure and remove the ignition key before disconnecting the battery.

It can not hurt anything and with so many "modules" (really computers) in our cars, there might be a bit that was set wrong during the boot up of the modules.

For relearn, my manual has it listed under "Putting vehicle into operation", page 263. Steering, electric window adaptation and of course the TPMS.

Good luck!

Last edited by CAVU; 05-09-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:09 PM
myronf
Rennlist Member

fuses are good, so I will see what the Durametric has to say for itselft midweek when I get it.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:15 PM
myronf
Rennlist Member

The durametric gave me a code 8015 - antenna tpm center. Is that the tpm module which is in the frunk?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:58 PM
myronf
Rennlist Member

My tire guy said that all of my tire pressure sensors were alive and well, so it mut be the tpms module.

Quick Reply: TPMS Questions