Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uneven level of soot on exhaust tips! (997.2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020 | 02:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
You're 1,500 miles past when you should have already changed the oil again if you want to keep oil consumption on that engine low like it is now. Yes, I know the manual says 10,000 miles or something ridiculous like that. If you do UOA you'd know just how ridiculous that interval is based on metal wear, viscosity, and TAN/TBN numbers.
I'm a proponent of the 5K max miles between changes. But all of the 997.2 Blackstone analysis I've done (limited data, I'll admit) come back with the statement that longer durations are advised. FWIW I'm sticking with 5K.
Old 05-04-2020 | 02:50 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I'm a proponent of the 5K max miles between changes. But all of the 997.2 Blackstone analysis I've done (limited data, I'll admit) come back with the statement that longer durations are advised. FWIW I'm sticking with 5K.
The secret to the Blackstone analysis is knowing how to read the actual numbers and data and pretty much ignoring the comments in the top section. They are some of the most positive outlook people I've encountered and I see things in the analysis that they have either glossed over or missed.

Here's a perfect example. From the numbers, this oil was run too long. Flashpoint is too low and with a TBN number of only 3.2, the TAN number (which they forgot to run in this sample) would probably be closer to 5 or 6, so the oil is more acidic than basic - that's bad. Yet, in the comments, they say that things look good and I could shoot for an even longer change interval of 8,000 miles next time.

In every UOA I've done on any vehicle - Porsches, boat, pickup, Japanese SUV, etc I see significant degradation in the oil anywhere from 4,000 miles to 5,500 miles. I use the uOA to determine the proper change interval for that specific oil in that particular car. I never want to see double digit wear metals of any type, viscosity needs to be above the minimum, both Zinc & Phosphorous levels need to be above 1,000 ppm (for the oils I run) or maybe just a hair below if the other numbers look good), low or no fuel dilution, no anti-freeze presence, and a TBN number that's higher than the TAN number. If an UOA fails any of these benchmarks, I lower the oil change mileage interval until they're all where I want them to be. Based on my experience, no one should run any oil longer than 5,000 miles, and in some cases, even that's too long.

I don't know what oil was in this car when I bought it, but that's the change that was at 28k miles. The one below is Driven DT40, but the first oil change with it, so not representative of future ones.

Here's another example where the oil was run too long, so even 5,000 miles on this oil in this car is too long - TAN exceeds TBN and flashpoint is still low. I'll be moving this car to a 4,000 mile interval and seeing what that UAO looks like, specifically looking for a better flashpoint and lower fuel dilution. Since my AFR #s when driving the car are good, if I still see a fuel dilution trend, I'll replace all the injectors. That's exactly what doing this type of UOA is used for - to catch potential issues as they're developing before they become major issues and cause major engine damage.

But, see, the comments on this report is still pretty positive, even though I don't particularly like these results.

Old 05-04-2020 | 07:24 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Great info to summarize all in one place. Thanks ... Wayne
Old 05-09-2020 | 04:40 AM
iipod
Track Day

Thank you all for the responses.

Last edited by iipod; 08-09-2021 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2020 | 06:12 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

I'll bite. I bought my car and was concerned initially about a scored bore. There was a concerning sound that sounded like every scored bore I'd ever heard online. I had it scoped above/below - no score. I have noticed slightly uneven sooting on sides since I've had it. I've now had 2 Speediagnostix oil analyses done, changing the oil every 5k (3rd coming up in 1k miles) and both have been totally clean for abnormal wear particles. YMMV but perhaps start with an oil analysis? Hard to believe I will have put 15k miles on my car in 1 year of ownership.
Old 05-09-2020 | 07:53 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

My 24k miles 09 4S. Left tips are always a bit dirtier than the right ones.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2020 | 09:05 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

It has something to do with condensation in the exhaust mixing with soot, as I see some small little droplets on my bumper mainly on the left side of the car, left side exhaust tips are slightly darker than the right side. But it does pretty much disappear during Summer and into the season running. 24k miles 09 c2s.

See above photo for lhs floor markings
Old 05-10-2020 | 03:25 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

This brings up the question ... Does one side develop more condensation than the other?

This could explain the preponderance for the heavier soot on the left side that seems to be almost universal in the .2 cars from what I've observed.

I don't see why one side would be different but maybe someone else does.
Old 05-10-2020 | 09:20 AM
iipod
Track Day

Wow

Last edited by iipod; 08-02-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2020 | 05:32 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
I'll bite. I bought my car and was concerned initially about a scored bore. There was a concerning sound that sounded like every scored bore I'd ever heard online. I had it scoped above/below - no score. I have noticed slightly uneven sooting on sides since I've had it. I've now had 2 Speediagnostix oil analyses done, changing the oil every 5k (3rd coming up in 1k miles) and both have been totally clean for abnormal wear particles. YMMV but perhaps start with an oil analysis? Hard to believe I will have put 15k miles on my car in 1 year of ownership.
Forgot to say that the sound ended up being a noisy high pressure fuel pump

Quick Reply: Uneven level of soot on exhaust tips! (997.2)