Seeking Help! 997 Crankshaft Position Senor replacement DIY

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 10:43 PM
joheb911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Seeking Help! 997 Crankshaft Position Senor replacement DIY

Hi Rennlisters-

My 2006 997.1 Carrera S threw a check engine light after some spirited driving. The car runs 100% fine, as it did before. Starts right up and no lack of power or misfiring...
Code says crankshaft position sensor fault. Seems like it needs to be replaced, does anyone have additional info on where the sensor is located for the 997.1? Does anyone have any videos they used to help them with the DIY job?
Lots of info about 986/987 Boxster but not much on the 997.

For those of you who have done the job yourself, which company did you buy your crankshaft position sensor from? I have seen the OEM Genuine Porsche sensor go for $280, but other sites like FCP-Euro are $60 and Bosche is around $85 on pelican parts.

What do you recommend? Any help/advice would be appreciated, please attach your DIY videos or other useful information.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:12 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine failed because wire severed by a rodent. It would cruise fine but I could feel some hesitation around 3k rpm when accelerating and starting car was more difficult. Buy the cheapest you found with matching #s. I think even Rock Auto carried it. Search the Pelican technical section, they used to have instructions with pictures.
The following users liked this post:
joheb911 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

The attached shows you the location of the .1 engine sensors.

Attached Files
joheb911 (04-22-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 03:35 PM
joheb911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Update: I was able to locate the sensor and unbolt it from the side closest to the transmission. Now trying to dismantle from the other side of the sensor and I’m having a lot of trouble.
Im trying to push the clips of the sensor and pull down, but it seems that it is stuck in place and I’m unable to pull it out. Any idea how to detach the sensor? Do I need to hold down on the black piece to pull out the white sensor?
Photos attached.
Thank you all for the help!

Old 01-25-2024, 11:43 PM
hheavykevy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joheb911
Update: I was able to locate the sensor and unbolt it from the side closest to the transmission. Now trying to dismantle from the other side of the sensor and I’m having a lot of trouble.
Im trying to push the clips of the sensor and pull down, but it seems that it is stuck in place and I’m unable to pull it out. Any idea how to detach the sensor? Do I need to hold down on the black piece to pull out the white sensor?
Photos attached.
Thank you all for the help!

Trying to awaken this thread from its hibernation. What did you eventually do to disconnect the sensor connector? I believe there is a screw holding that little bracket on, which you can remove, but I’m wondering if it’s easier to just somehow pry the connector out of the clip without removing the screw. I know there’s limited space and so that may be an issue there.

Planning on doing mine on Saturday, so all help is appreciated. This particular repair on the 997.1 specifically has no love out there…
Old 03-08-2024, 01:33 AM
Francis Campos
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did this go? Is this on the left or right rear of the engine?
Old 03-08-2024, 11:04 AM
hheavykevy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Francis Campos
how did this go? Is this on the left or right rear of the engine?
This was actually a really easy job for me. The hardest part was jacking up the car properly, not having done it before.

This sensor is on the left hand (drivers side in US) side for my 06 C2S. I got the Bosch part off Amazon.

You’ll need a few long ratchet extensions to get all the way back in there. Once you get the wheel off, it’s a straight shot in with the ratchet, maybe 1.5 to 2 feet deep.

My sensor was easily removed from the block after I took the screw out, but I’ve seen some videos where it was a bit harder to pull out. Detaching the sensor at the connector was a bit tricky, but doable if you watch the videos on the 996 repair. It will show you how.

I did not remove the bracket that holds the connector clip. I removed the clip from the bracket and disconnected it with one hand on the clip and the other using a small pick.

Once I put the new sensor in, it was pretty tricky to connect the new sensor connector with one hand back up in there, but figured it out. Then I just popped that re-attached clip back into the bracket.

The car runs wayyyyy better following this. I had a few hard starts, frequent episodes of the car just randomly dying at idle, at a slightly rough idle. Haven’t had any of these happen in 200 miles or so since I replaced. Highly recommend doing this yourself, as the part I believe was only $85. I’ll attach a link. This one worked for my 06 997.1 S.

Amazon Amazon
joheb911 (03-08-2024)

Quick Reply: Seeking Help! 997 Crankshaft Position Senor replacement DIY