Sponsored by:

Backup Camera for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 12:29 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Thanks for the post. I'm trying to understand what the $799 feature is that adds 3 video inputs...is it a harness? Does it plug 'n play into our current PCM?

Not a cheap date but I really like that functionality. Looks great.

Thx!

Bob
Not sure about the tech hardware involved. As I said, it was installed when I bought the car.
I do have, and posted above, the receipt for parts and installation. Give the shop a call and see if they can answer your question.

I had a 997.1 with no b/u camera- the Park Assist beeps are better than nothing, but won't warn you of a low hazard or a threat that is outsidea certain distance. I never parallel park in a tight enough spot to set it off and my garage is spacious.

Good luck in your research.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Looks like the NavTools option is no longer an option as they are out of stock and said there is no plans to make more as they cannot get the parts.
I would also add that NavTools' solution turned out to be very sensitive to the use of battery maintainers. If ever the battery was a bit flat and you plugged in the battery maintainer into the center lighter port (where one does), I found that this recharging of the battery (a typical use case for the car) would cause a component failure inside the NavTools unit that wouldn't fully switch over the video signal when reverse is selected - so the video switch circuit had a failure. Every once in a while if the car sat for a while the switch over would work fine, but then again not. So I'm guessing a capacitor on the board blows out. NavTools didn't really stand behind the product at that time and apparently just decided to abandon it.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:46 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Solutions ranked in increasing cost order:
- don’t ever back up. I did this for a while but wife got tired of pushing me out of the garage
- QuickVu. I did this to avoid any mod to car. Works great, only negative is finding place to mount monitor, but really like it. https://quickvucams.com/shop/quickvu-digital-product/
- replace pcm and add cam/run wiring.
- buy newer 911 with back up camera
How long do the batteries in the camera last?
Old 01-12-2023, 11:13 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipE
How long do the batteries in the camera last?
I use it couple times/week, they last me 8-12 months. Use more frequently prob less. Also dependent on using fresh batteries when replacing, old batteries don’t last as long. Very easy to replace.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:56 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

I use it couple times/week, they last me 8-12 months. Use more frequently prob less. Also dependent on using fresh batteries when replacing, old batteries don’t last as long. Very easy to replace.
Great! I thought maybe they ran down just sitting in the car parked in the garage.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:21 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

- QuickVu. I did this to avoid any mod to car. Works great, only negative is finding place to mount monitor, but really like it. https://quickvucams.com/shop/quickvu-digital-product/
Thanks for the tip!

from another thread:
===
Finished installing front plate frame and a QuickVu camera system.

Cayman had the Porsche plinth already installed. Without a frame, the edges of the license plate threatened to catch people or their trousers. Simple metal frame didn't play well with the ~38" radius of the Porsche plinth. I made a couple of plywood tools and beat it into submission.

The rear camera went on in a couple of minutes. The monitor mounted up easily with a RennLine mount. I used a spring-clamp that fit on the Rennline ball instead of the magnet.

Front camera was more-complicated. Mounted it to the Porsche fake grill with a couple of homebrew brackets.

Front plate shown here is from my former Caterham Super Seven. Personalized plate for the Cayman will be seen when the driving season starts here.

Old 02-02-2023, 12:38 PM
carbonduc27
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty much any added backup camera will require a separate screen or replacing/modding the stock PCM/stereo. I do have an aftermarket android stereo but I also installed the Audiovox V5-PRO rear mirror (
Amazon link Amazon link
)

The stock "window ball mount" is a little too small so I ended up cutting the socket off the stock mirror and fitting that INTO the larger socket of the Audiovox. It was a tight fit but now this aftermarket mirror with built-in front dash cam fits on the stock mount. The image is clear and the mirror is a touchscreen so you can change brightness and move the image up and down depending if you are looking at a curb or just looking backward (a la corvette C8 digital rear view).

Pros: dual cameras with g sensor to record any accidents.
I can now see behind me for parking or driving (I have a gt3 spoiler which has now blocked my view out back so the camera helps)
No need to mount an ugly separate dash cam.
It can be turned off so you can just look up and see a reflection like a normal mirror
It is not much bigger and looks pretty OEM.

Cons: It is pretty bright when driving at night even with brightness turned all the way down (but you could just turn it off)
Objects are much closer than they appear. Takes some getting used to
It can get SUPER hot when parked in 110 degree heat with my reflective sunshade. Has frozen up on me or shut down and was very hot to touch.

not my image:

Quick Reply: Backup Camera for 997.2