Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Backup Camera for 997.2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1188316-backup-camera-for-997-2-a.html)

jdswell 04-03-2020 05:35 PM

Backup Camera for 997.2

Rennlisters, I have a 2012 Turbo and would like to add a backup camera. Has anyone done this and what did you use? I asked my usual installer a while back and he quoted me $1,500 installed. Since I have this feature on two other cars I miss it in the 911. What to do?

ManoTexas 04-03-2020 07:01 PM

Solutions ranked in increasing cost order:
- don’t ever back up. I did this for a while but wife got tired of pushing me out of the garage
- QuickVu. I did this to avoid any mod to car. Works great, only negative is finding place to mount monitor, but really like it. https://quickvucams.com/shop/quickvu-digital-product/
- replace pcm and add cam/run wiring.
- buy newer 911 with back up camera

max540i 04-03-2020 08:28 PM

FWIW, I've been using the Pearl RearVision, by no means perfect, but does the trick for me.

Wayne Smith 04-03-2020 10:51 PM

That looks pretty sweet. How long have you had yours? Any thoughts to pass on?

Iceter 04-04-2020 11:19 AM

That Pearl Vision is an interesting solution but only works for people who immediately clip their phones into a mount every time they drive. I keep my phone in my pocket. Still, it’s better than nothing.

Upscale Audio 04-04-2020 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by max540i (Post 16523367)
FWIW, I've been using the Pearl RearVision, by no means perfect, but does the trick for me.

They say it runs solar? The issue is some Porsches are garage queens, so how does that work out when you want to use it?

acr89 04-04-2020 02:16 PM

I replaced my PCM and installed a Kenwood with wireless CarPlay, plus both front and rear cameras. It’s awesome.

mchrono 04-04-2020 02:22 PM

Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX head unit with Android Auto / Apple CarPlay (huge upgrade from PCM) with optional Pioneer wired rear view camera which uses a lead tapping off the reverse lights to automatically switch to rear view. Hardest part is routing the camera wire to the back. My installer ran it like this including a quick detach plug so easy to take rear bumper cover off in the future :

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2ebd4dcb48.jpg

ManoTexas 04-04-2020 02:39 PM

Pearl Vision defunk. Not sure where you can get, and if any tech support available. Downside it’s built into license plate frame which covers upper/lower parts of plate. Illegal in Tx and gives cop simple reason to pull you over. Main reason went different option, glad it works for you.

max540i 04-04-2020 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith (Post 16523586)
That looks pretty sweet. How long have you had yours? Any thoughts to pass on?

Some quick (hopefully accurate) impressions:
  • High quality Silicon Valley-developed product. Due to insufficient demand (perahps too expensive?) original company went bellyup and product ended up w/ different company.
  • Three components: (1) PearlVision OBD dongle, (2) PearlVision rear license plate with video and xmiter (along w/ mounting hardware) (3) SmartPhone
  • I've had it for 3+ years and I'm currently using an iPhoneXmax mounted w/ proclip "Angled Dash Mount", I believe there is an android app, but I have no experience with that.
  • Required an hour or so of fidgeting to get it all setup, installation leaves car in stock condition (eg no holes to drill).
  • My routine is: get in my car, mount my iPhone, launch waze. I adapted that routine to add "launch PearlVision" before the "launch waze". After coming out of reverse, PearlVision app permits launch of Waze (or any other app).
  • Video xfer from camera works via a (fallback) bluetooth connection.
  • Prefered xfer of video is via WiFi (as opposed to bluetooth). WiFi connects automatically, that is unless you have situation like mine where my iPhone is connected to my home network and is unwilling to drop that connection and pickup the PearlVision connection. So, when leaving home, i have to go to iPhone WiFi setup and manually select the PearlVision connection before i launch the PerlVision app. (This may not be an issue w/ android app)
  • WiFi video quality is quite good, more than adequate to navigate my moderately difficult driveway.
  • License frame battery will recharge from sun, but if you spend your daytime in a garage, you'll have to remove the license plate unit (one bolt, make sure it's tight!) and usb-charge it for a couple of hours every month? or so.
  • If you don't use it once every couple of weeks it shuts down and you have to reinsert dongle into OBD port and then fiddle w/ stuff for a minute or so to get it back into a working state. Since I always use a battery tender, this "feature" is not necessary and bugs me.
  • Another minor downside is that you have to worry about dealer misplacing OBD dongle when left for overnight service (i remove mine).
  • I recall a few reports concerning the license plate frame obscuring too much of the license plate, but I didn't find this to be an issue w/ my NY plates.
  • So far the app has survived 3 years of iOS upgrades, but there is always the concern that it'll quit working after an update. Perhaps the new company will update app, but not sure one can count on that.
In summary, for me, the two biggest drawbacks are (1) the time it takes to change the iPhone WiFi network and (2) rebooting it after it shuts down after sitting for a week + (my 911 is becoming more and more a garage queen). If I was buying today, I guess I would also be concerned about app support for an iOS update.

RacerWannabe 04-05-2020 09:31 PM

That does look like a nice solution. May give it a shot.

JVinPortland 04-05-2020 09:40 PM

I've been researching the options. Here's the thumbnail of what I've found in addition to the above (there are at least a couple of threads about this in the 997 forum, btw):
--a "clip on" monitor that goes over the rear view mirror
--navtool PCM interface + camera + install by local shop (that doesn't focus necessarily on high end cars), roughly $500
link to interface: https://www.navtool.com/porsche-911-...interface.aspx
--NAV-TV PCM interface + camera + install by local high end shop, roughly $2K
--replace PCM head unit with Sony model that includes CarPlay + camera + simpler NAV-TV interface + install by local high end shop, roughly $2.1K

I'm leaning toward the Navtool interface. Don't really want to replace PCM head unit. I'm away from home for work for another month or more, so I have some time to ponder.
Please post what you decide on & install.
Cheers,
JV

Ripking 04-05-2020 10:12 PM

my PCM is replaced with an Alpine head unit and rear camera. Works fine enough when I need it.

Wayne Smith 04-05-2020 10:25 PM

Pam gave me a mirror clip on unit as a gift a few years ago. Both the roof and the windshield mount prevented it from fitting in the 997. Well, the visors too.

So I installed it in the F250. It was OK but didn't work very well in the dark. I finally gave up on it.

That was a few years ago so I imagine (hope) they've gotten better.

scadams 04-05-2020 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ManoTexas (Post 16524525)
Pearl Vision defunk. Not sure where you can get, and if any tech support available. Downside it’s built into license plate frame which covers upper/lower parts of plate. Illegal in Tx and gives cop simple reason to pull you over. Main reason went different option, glad it works for you.

Only if it covers more 1/2 more of the “Texas” name up top. The bottom lettering can technically be covered but as someone with a DV plate it’s rather important that that lettering be visible.

Texas Transportation Code
Sec. 504.945. WRONG, FICTITIOUS, ALTERED, OR OBSCURED LICENSE PLATE.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person attaches to or displays on a motor vehicle a license plate that:...

(7) has a coating, covering, protective substance, or other material that:

(B) alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or

(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/TN.504.htm