Sponsored by:

Mega Rock Chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 09:55 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Mega Rock Chip

Looking for some advice here (2007 TT). This morning, I got a massive chip on my hood from some object on the road. I thought it was on my windshield but it was my hood - about 6 in from the windshield, dead center.

I am slightly concerned about value hit (I mean my car has 27k miles... not 5k), but it’s a fairly pristine example. I was due for PPF (has partial clear bra). So are there chip repair methods that work well or is this a respray? The chip is more than a regular rock chip...the paint has puckered up 1/4 inch.

I’m worried on the hood, there isn’t a clean masking point so it’s going to leave a witness mark from the new paint, which is never as hard as OEM....

Also would take a long time before PPF can be applied. And I know I’m fretting over a chip so I guess the big question is if I can get a chip repair that can make it 97% vs respray at 100%... what would you do?

Old 03-06-2020, 10:35 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 264 Posts

Well do not respray. Thats an absolute last resort. Just have someone good fill and fix. Then apply ppf. You will never notice it.

The following 2 users liked this post by repcapale:
Icegrill (03-17-2023), myw (03-07-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 10:44 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Chip repair. If it looks horrible then maybe consider a respray but I’d avoid that if at all possible.

Maybe it’s time for a carbon fiber hood
Old 03-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by krautmeister
Looking for some advice here (2007 TT). This morning, I got a massive chip on my hood from some object on the road. I thought it was on my windshield but it was my hood - about 6 in from the windshield, dead center.

I am slightly concerned about value hit (I mean my car has 27k miles... not 5k), but it’s a fairly pristine example. I was due for PPF (has partial clear bra). So are there chip repair methods that work well or is this a respray? The chip is more than a regular rock chip...the paint has puckered up 1/4 inch.

I’m worried on the hood, there isn’t a clean masking point so it’s going to leave a witness mark from the new paint, which is never as hard as OEM....

Also would take a long time before PPF can be applied. And I know I’m fretting over a chip so I guess the big question is if I can get a chip repair that can make it 97% vs respray at 100%... what would you do?

This is definitely repairable without respraying. I've done repairs like this myself. You'll need the following:

1) OEM touchup paint (color and clear)
2) Small tipped artist paintbrush
3) 1000g, 1500g, and 3000g sandpaper
4) Pencil
5) Single hole punch
6) Quick dry adhesive

Here are some photos - before / after on one of the more serious repairs that I did recently. Also the items above that I used.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
myw (03-07-2020), tegraphile (05-12-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 10:19 AM
krautmeister
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Ironman, I read your post and saw your incredible results in the what did you do thread.

i do want to try this and I’m not afraid to... but it is a huge crater. I’m just concerned about getting the paint and clear flush... obviously you fill over and sand down.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krautmeister
Ironman, I read your post and saw your incredible results in the what did you do thread.

i do want to try this and I’m not afraid to... but it is a huge crater. I’m just concerned about getting the paint and clear flush... obviously you fill over and sand down.
It's not tricky at all. It just takes time; repeated applications of paint (carefully applied within the chip) to build it up. I sanded it lightly between each application. It's important to wait until each paint application is fully dry prior to sanding. When I had the paint built up to just slightly below the surrounding area I began using the clear. When it was fully built up, I used the 3000g sandpaper (it was really a foam-like paper) to blend the chip with the surrounding area.
Then I polished it out with a lighter compound. I think the only way that someone could fail to get good results is if they gave up early in the process. It is tedious.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Hindsight2010 (04-03-2020), myw (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 12:01 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

You might consider mixing the paint with some clear as well with metallics. If the chip went to metal you might need to apply a primer first. As an alternative to the artist brush I've seen two other options to get the paint into the area. 1) the faber castell paint pen is good on horizontal surfaces 2) application with a hypodermic needle works on both horizontal and vertical.

But I also like a fine artists brush. They give alot of control and are intuitive to use.

I would recommend you test the touch up paint in an area where it wouldn't be seen that will give you a good gauge that it matches well before applying it on the center of the hood.

Also with finish sanding - consider masking around the sanding area with something used for airbrushing called frisket. You can accurately cut the frisket to match the touch up spot and avoid sanding the clear around the touch up area. It is available in sheets or rolls.
The following users liked this post:
Ohio Performance (03-07-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 03-07-2020, 12:46 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

just get a dr color chip kit, its pretty simple and decent results.
The following 2 users liked this post by aaks38:
Gregory Stiel (03-07-2020), myw (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aaks38
just get a dr color chip kit, its pretty simple and decent results.
I would not count on the Dr. Color Chip process to correct the damage in question. Dr. Color Chip works best on small "road rash" types of damage (far smaller, less deep.) A significant chip in a prominent area such as the one shown by the OP will require a different solution.

Old 03-07-2020, 05:00 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

His chip is very minor and smaller compared to what you had to repair. Although nothing will be as good as respray , ive used dr colorchip with good success on arctic silver and less hassle, it will actually work on much larger repairs. You can get dr color chip to level out and very easy for the layman.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aaks38
His chip is very minor and smaller compared to what you had to repair. Although nothing will be as good as respray , ive used dr colorchip with good success on arctic silver and less hassle, it will actually work on much larger repairs. You can get dr color chip to level out and very easy for the layman.
I've used Dr. Color Chip many times also - but thanks for the intended education on it. Let's just resolve that we disagree on the optimum utilization of Color Chip. I would not use it on the repair in question.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:33 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

ironman, amazing results. have u ever posted a tutorial on this process? thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Ironman88
It's not tricky at all. It just takes time; repeated applications of paint (carefully applied within the chip) to build it up. I sanded it lightly between each application. It's important to wait until each paint application is fully dry prior to sanding. When I had the paint built up to just slightly below the surrounding area I began using the clear. When it was fully built up, I used the 3000g sandpaper (it was really a foam-like paper) to blend the chip with the surrounding area.
Then I polished it out with a lighter compound. I think the only way that someone could fail to get good results is if they gave up early in the process. It is tedious.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by myw
ironman, amazing results. have u ever posted a tutorial on this process? thanks in advance.
Thanks myw.
I have not posted one. I'll photo-document the process on my next rock chip of any significance and post them with a step-by-step.

The following users liked this post:
myw (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Having a chip on your car is not really going to affect resale. That is expected on a car with 30k miles. Respraying would raise questions and potentially affect resale, but with proper documentation should be minimal if any.

I would recommend touching up the chip with the method described above. Then put the PPF on top. What you are trying to do with the PPF is prevent any more chips and preserving what is currently there. Also if you touch it up the only risk with putting PPF on is removing the paint from the touchup at some point whereas if you repaint the entire hood you could remove paint with PPF.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Ironman88 (03-08-2020), myw (03-09-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing your procedure I’ve have not been happy with Dr Color Chip results. Was just searching for new chip repair method. .

Quick Reply: Mega Rock Chip