Sponsored by:

Time or mileage based maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020 | 03:56 PM
UnoMas
Instructor

Default Numeric and Semi Solid Mounts

Originally Posted by muvment
My 997.1 C2S is in the shop right now for it's [roughly] 60k service. I bought it at 55k and while everything was up-to-date, I figure I'll give it a clean slate.
I am doing:
Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Coil Packs
Blake Flush
Transaxle fluid

and for good measure:
Numeric short shifter
Semi-Solid motor mounts (Function-First)
Let me know what you think after you install those. I installed the FF mounts and I am on the fence. I definitely noticed more noise. I also replaced the nylon bushings with aluminum on my shifter and am happy with the change. It will be interesting to see how big of an improvement the Numeric makes.
Weird that it makes a difference, but shifting is a bit better after I changed the fluid. Gets better as it warms up. I used Mobil lube PTX
Old 02-19-2020 | 04:12 PM
muvment
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UnoMas
Let me know what you think after you install those. I installed the FF mounts and I am on the fence. I definitely noticed more noise. I also replaced the nylon bushings with aluminum on my shifter and am happy with the change. It will be interesting to see how big of an improvement the Numeric makes.
Weird that it makes a difference, but shifting is a bit better after I changed the fluid. Gets better as it warms up. I used Mobil lube PTX

My research on the FF on this board said there was not a noticeable increase of NVH. Bummer that there might be an increase here.
The numeric seems to be the best, according to the rennlist consensus.
Old 02-21-2020 | 12:26 PM
3rd-World
Intermediate

About to replace water pump, belt & thermostat.
Should i just replace the pulleys talked about here anyway ?
plan to keep car for another 50k miles & currently has 78k miles.
Does those pulley / tensioner all eventually fail?
i’m inclined to do it if answer is yes they WILL fail at some point.

thx.
Old 02-21-2020 | 12:39 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3rd-World
About to replace water pump, belt & thermostat.
Should i just replace the pulleys talked about here anyway ?
plan to keep car for another 50k miles & currently has 78k miles.
Does those pulley / tensioner all eventually fail?
i’m inclined to do it if answer is yes they WILL fail at some point.

thx.
Everything is "eventually" going to fail. My wife's car with 105k miles on it still has the original tensioner and all the pulleys. I have a spare set in the parts cabinet if one of ours eventually lets go, but I doubt they'll all also fail at the same time. Obviously your call, but seems they could last another 30k miles or so.
Old 02-22-2020 | 03:43 AM
roman944
Drifting

I am more of a "if it isn't broken, then don't fix it" type of person

but I think you need to be aware of what's going on, if there are signs of trouble, don't let it get too far and fix it before it causes OTHER major problems and a simple easy fix becomes super expensive
Old 02-22-2020 | 08:26 AM
door2416
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Everything is "eventually" going to fail. My wife's car with 105k miles on it still has the original tensioner and all the pulleys. I have a spare set in the parts cabinet if one of ours eventually lets go, but I doubt they'll all also fail at the same time. Obviously your call, but seems they could last another 30k miles or so.
Hey Petza914 , what's your guess on why so many of our water pumps go out at around 50k? Mine gave up at 55k. I've driven millions of miles in work vans and have never had even one pump replaced. Could it be spirited driving of the line puts too much force on the bearing?

Quick Reply: Time or mileage based maintenance