997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOFTRONIC IS NOW ON RENNLIST

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020 | 06:57 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Quick update: So far, so good with the Softronic Tunes on my 997 and 987. They both feel healthy, strong, and eager to pull to redline. Only downside is that I will need new rear tires sooner than expected!
I am especially happy to report that I had my California smog inspection done last week and passed with flying colors. I was worried about 2 things. One, my PSE Hack with downpipes not passing inspection, but they did not even notice it. Two, I wondered if the Softronic Tune would trigger any errors at the Smog station. Relieved and happy that there were no CA Smog emission OBD issues with the Softronic tune installed. Thanks again Scott for the nice tune!
Old 06-04-2020 | 07:25 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Quick update: So far, so good with the Softronic Tunes on my 997 and 987. They both feel healthy, strong, and eager to pull to redline. Only downside is that I will need new rear tires sooner than expected!
I am especially happy to report that I had my California smog inspection done last week and passed with flying colors. I was worried about 2 things. One, my PSE Hack with downpipes not passing inspection, but they did not even notice it. Two, I wondered if the Softronic Tune would trigger any errors at the Smog station. Relieved and happy that there were no CA Smog emission OBD issues with the Softronic tune installed. Thanks again Scott for the nice tune!
Any change in exhaust sound? Did you opt for the pops and bangs?
Old 06-04-2020 | 07:52 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Any change in exhaust sound? Did you opt for the pops and bangs?
Unfortunately I did not opt for the pops and bangs. I think I am just not in that phase right now. Just my opinion, but I have noticed a lot of "young" kids in my neighborhood with bmw's, mustangs, or camaro's of all model years suddenly having these "pops and bangs" on demand at the push of a button. For some reason they always want to "pop and bang" every time they drive by me in the Porsche or pull up next to me at a stop light. It does not matter what speed or rpm they are at... it's like "pops and bangs on demand"... Maybe I am just getting to be an old fart and it's just me, but I did not want to be a part of that group so much. Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds great on a Porsche and at certain times, but not sure I would want it on every time I took my foot off the gas. Again, that's just me and the phase I am at now.
The following users liked this post:
kru911 (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020 | 10:32 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Unfortunately I did not opt for the pops and bangs. I think I am just not in that phase right now. Just my opinion, but I have noticed a lot of "young" kids in my neighborhood with bmw's, mustangs, or camaro's of all model years suddenly having these "pops and bangs" on demand at the push of a button. For some reason they always want to "pop and bang" every time they drive by me in the Porsche or pull up next to me at a stop light. It does not matter what speed or rpm they are at... it's like "pops and bangs on demand"... Maybe I am just getting to be an old fart and it's just me, but I did not want to be a part of that group so much. Don't get me wrong, I think it sounds great on a Porsche and at certain times, but not sure I would want it on every time I took my foot off the gas. Again, that's just me and the phase I am at now.
I hear you. A Cup car going into the brake zone is a good sound, a 997 GT3 decelerating, good sound. The coffee can muffler cars going off like fire crackers, not my thing. That’s why I was curious what it sounded like. I’m not quite in the old fart camp yet but I’m getting there.
Old 06-05-2020 | 02:11 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

I hear you. A Cup car going into the brake zone is a good sound, a 997 GT3 decelerating, good sound. The coffee can muffler cars going off like fire crackers, not my thing. That’s why I was curious what it sounded like. I’m not quite in the old fart camp yet but I’m getting there.

Hahaha... Yeah, I am still a very young 49 most of the time, but I have my moments where I dip my toe in the old fart camp and start yelling at kids to get off my lawn, pull their pants up, pick up their dog poop, and to put a proper muffler on their car!

The video is gone of @Dk27 who had the burbles and pops from Softronic. I remember it was subtle, but sounded good. Should have asked if it could be turned on/off with the sport button.
Old 06-05-2020 | 06:29 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

What would a Softronic tune do for a base 997 2005 3.6 that would be different from the OEM sport chrono retrofit on a manual?
Old 06-05-2020 | 08:47 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
What would a Softronic tune do for a base 997 2005 3.6 that would be different from the OEM sport chrono retrofit on a manual?
There can be several benefits to a tune, depending on the car, that can affect things like spark timing, turbo boost pressure, variable cam lift, to air fuel ratios. I would say that the most common tunes mostly focus on air fuel ratios. Most cars come from the factory tuned to be "Rich" in fuel in order to safe guard the engine from all the different variables in octanes and fuel quality. Running too much fuel can "choke" the engine power because not enough air is available to burn efficiently. Running too little fuel, or "Lean", can starve the engine of power because too much air is present and not enough fuel to burn efficiently. So there is a balancing act with tunes that can improve performance by dialing in a better air to fuel ratio in order for the engine to run stronger and more efficiently.

With Air fuel ratio in mind (AFR) the "Sport Chrono" retrofit button has NOTHING to do with adjusting engine AFR's, timing, cams or adding more horsepower. The Sport Chrono button only remaps how quickly/steep your electronic throttle input climbs as you push down on the gas pedal. So without sport chrono, or just stock, 50% gas pedal travel equals a 50% throttle body opening. With Sport Chrono the throttle input signal is more aggressive so that now a gas pedal travel of 50% would be more equal to a 75% throttle body opening. This gives you the impression that the engine wants to accelerate faster or responds more aggressively with smaller gas pedal inputs compared to non-sport application. If stock 3.6 makes 325hp, then after Sport Chrono added you will still make 325hp. No horsepower is added with sport chrono.

So now more about the AFR/tuning scenario: In a best case scenario an efficient running engine is completely or cleanly burning all it's fuel and air and it has what is called a "Stoichiometric Ratio". This "Stoich" ratio means that after the combustion all the fuel and air were burned and only carbon dioxide and water exit the exhaust. For most gasoline engines the "Stoich" ration is 14.7 : 1

Most stock naturally aspirated vehicles from factory run an Air to fuel ratio target of 12 parts air to 1 part fuel. Anything dropping closer to a 10:1 ratio is running really Rich and power is lost. As you climb closer to the 14.7 : 1 or lean out the fuel ratio you gain back power and run more efficiently, but going too lean will also lose power. So the trick tuner's have to do is find that magic AFR balance of running stronger and more efficient compared to rich stock ecu parameters. By adjusting fuel ratios safely it is possible to gain 20+hp depending on engine.

Softronic 2005 997 3.6 stock = 325hp 273tq .....tuned = 345hp 294tq .... + 20 Hp tq.

here is a VERY simple presentation of Air/Fuel mixture on a simple 2 stroke engine.

Last edited by qikqbn; 06-06-2020 at 08:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by qikqbn:
Dpmarc (07-19-2021), jlert (10-01-2022)
Old 06-06-2020 | 09:22 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Q: Thank you for that very thorough explanation. I am tempted to try the Softronic tune just to change things up a bit (for the better i hope), but nevertheless remain skeptical of the 20 hp/torque gain, I guess one real way to find out...
Old 06-06-2020 | 03:46 PM
elcaymancito
Rennlist Member

Sold!! I want this for my 718 S ...any hints on next "sale" pricing!!
Old 06-06-2020 | 08:33 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
Q: Thank you for that very thorough explanation. I am tempted to try the Softronic tune just to change things up a bit (for the better i hope), but nevertheless remain skeptical of the 20 hp/torque gain, I guess one real way to find out...
I was skeptical too. Immediately after install the power will seem subtle at first as the ecu adjusts over several hundred miles and writes some new fuel maps into memory based on driving habits/scenarios. Then you will begin to feel the difference on old familiar roads and old familiar driving situations where you say to yourself... "nice, that feels much stronger/faster".
Originally Posted by elcaymancito
Sold!! I want this for my 718 S ...any hints on next "sale" pricing!!
Tunes make a big difference on turbocharged cars. Should be a great improvement in power.
Old 06-12-2020 | 08:41 PM
LuisMa
Intermediate

Any dyno charts, WHP numbers for the 991.2 S/4S tune?
Old 07-19-2021 | 02:07 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

How is it installed if you don't have a Windows-based PC?
Old 07-19-2021 | 10:06 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

How is it installed if you don't have a Windows-based PC?
Strictly speaking, it’s not directly installed by a PC, but by a genius device with file loaded on it by a PC. It means you will need access to a PC at one point, but you won’t have to connect a PC to install it. You use the Genius device to read your current settings off your OBD,and email the file to Scott. He emails the new tune back. You transfer to the device and then reconnect it to your car. Did it with two cars, and it went quickly and smoothly both times. Biggest concern is attaching an additional battery source to assure you don’t lose power during the installation process.

Last edited by Jim Cobb; 07-19-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2021 | 10:37 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Cobb
Strictly speaking, it’s not directly installed by a PC, but by a genius device with file loaded on it by a PC. It means you will need access to a PC at one point, but you won’t have to connect a PC to install it. You use the Genius device to read your current settings off your OBD,and email the file to Scott. He emails the new tune back. You transfer to the device and then reconnect it to your car. Did it with two cars, and it went quickly and smoothly both times. Biggest concern is attaching an additional battery source to assure you don’t lose power during the installation process.
OK thanks, don’t have a Windows PC, will have to figure something out.

Quick Reply: SOFTRONIC IS NOW ON RENNLIST