Sponsored by:

997.2 Bore Scoring - dodged a bullet

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 11:21 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,520 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Sorry but to me your motivation seems to be to make sure people “understand” that the 997.2 is the “superior car” over the 997.1 and/or to fool yourself into thinking you didn’t buy into many similar risks as a 997.1 owner. Which is all the wrong motivation and what really turns me off about these threads. For some reason they ALWAYS end up to be a 997.1 vs 997.2 discussion. I am not sure the desire to fight so hard to put the 997.2 up on a pedestal other than ego and insecurities, these are just cars.....
No, I just like documented facts rather than unsubstantiated rumors but everyone is entitled to their opinion. There sure is a lot of long-distance psychoanalysis going on over these boards.

I had a 997.1 that I sold after 93k largely trouble-free and it was a great car, no complaints. I now have a 997.2 and it's also a great car. IMO opinion the biggest improvement is the PCM (by a wide margin), are we going to get into a flame war over that? The only comment I've ever made on this in comparison of the two cars is that the bore scoring rate is higher in the 997.1 and the mechanism is completely different. Some people may not like it but these are facts.

Look guys, there is an incredible amount of swirl and misinformation out there on this issue for whatever reason (we can argue about why that is for another ten pages). Isn't it in everyone's best interest to actually understand the incidence rate and failure mechanism? I know hard data might take the conversation where people don't want to go and I get that. But when people are making decisions with a potential $25k impact isn't it best to have actual data rather than swirl?

Baz Hart has a 180 page report on these engines that anyone can get by signing an NDA. Charles N, has an excellent and heavily footnoted 22 page white paper that goes over the details of the issues of using AlSi cylinders. If people want to actually understand what is going here you can read these for yourselves. There's no need to take the word of some anonymous yahoo (like me) on the internet.
The following users liked this post:
pro1200 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
IMO opinion the biggest improvement is the PCM (by a wide margin), are we going to get into a flame war over that?
Lol no, I agree 100% with that statement
The following 2 users liked this post by bgoetz:
PV997 (02-09-2020), Steph1 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 01:06 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,520 Likes on 651 Posts

BTW, there are definitely things I worry about in my 997.2 that never concerned me in the 997.1. We all saw the troubling wear in the connecting rod bearings in Jake's video of Bronz's 997.2 teardown. Jake attributed it to low-speed pre-ignition. I don't claim to be an expert but know it's more prevalent with DFI engines as is intake valve carbon build up. I also need to clean the carbon soot off my exhaust tips once a week which was never an issue in my 997.1, and it bothers me every time I do it. I sold my 997.1 because my knees are shot after twenty five years of shifting and I wanted a PDK, along with the PDK came a whole host of potential new worries. Bottom line is that these are great cars but they aren't perfect, and if folks are looking for something to stress over they can always find it.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:21 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,923 Likes on 2,911 Posts

Well I think we (997.1-997.2 Owners), as well as other Forum members like myself who have owned many Porsche models over many many years, can all agree that in the real world, the drama in this Forum regarding each model has absolutely no effect on resale or the desire of people in the real world to own these cars.
---->Lets get back to the fun topics in this Forum since this thread as well as other related threads really don't effect the value/thrill/fun or market value in the Real World and seem to rip everyone apart.

And for those who have nothing better to do than slam the "glass 1/2 full" 997.1 owners, remember many of these owners have some skin in the game regarding the brand and their personal experiences with many many Porsche models.

The following 3 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Doug H (02-10-2020), Frank996 (02-12-2020), Scalp_em (07-31-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 03:49 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

of course not, but i do believe the car you mention is truly amongst the rarest of rare, unfortunate cases.

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I think the underlying insecurity is that people pay a premium for the piece of mind a 997.2 brings, upwards of $20K. If in the end they still have to drop $25K into a new engine or $15K into a PDK were they really better off??
Old 02-09-2020, 05:08 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Well I think we (997.1-997.2 Owners), as well as other Forum members like myself who have owned many Porsche models over many many years, can all agree that in the real world, the drama in this Forum regarding each model has absolutely no effect on resale or the desire of people in the real world to own these cars.
---->Lets get back to the fun topics in this Forum since this thread as well as other related threads really don't effect the value/thrill/fun or market value in the Real World and seem to rip everyone apart.

And for those who have nothing better to do than slam the "glass 1/2 full" 997.1 owners, remember many of these owners have some skin in the game regarding the brand and their personal experiences with many many Porsche models.

Hey, one year you went all out and got a red one. What happened man!
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 05:18 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Good info and you should post the VIN and color combo and/or pics of the car and the selling dealer. Now that the dealer knows that engine has scoring, I'm sure they leave this undisclosed and sell it to a less savvy buyer.

You say "no signs evident" but an AOS change 12,000 miles ago and still smoke on startup are exactly the signs that were corroborated by the boroscope. A manometer reading should be added to the tests for anyone having a PPI done to look for a combustion chamber sealing or AOS issues, like scoring.

Personally, I think there are a lot of both .1 and .2 cars running around with scuffed/scored bores without anyone being aware of it. I recently discovered my RUF R-Kompressor has very light scuffing/scoring in #6 - according to Jake and Charles, it's the earliest they've ever seen it CAUGHT and will probably continue to run just fine for a couple more years with a higher film strength oil and more frequent oil changes. I don't have the money to fix it so that's the current plan. The car has an intake leak that threw a CEL which is what had me start investigating. Haven't had the time to fix the intake leak which is causing a lean reading on Bank 2 and a rich condition. Worried about cylinder washing, I haven't driven the car until I can get the vacuum leak taken care of, but it's behind the alternator, and the supercharger accessories are in the way, so it's a more involved job I just haven't had the time, or frankly the desire, to do - I'd rather be riding dirt bikes with my son, driving the other working ones.

The car was washed and put under a cover in the garage on the normal Battery Tender with fuel stabilizer, where it's been since October.

Given the need to go with a higher film strength oil and shorter change intervals, what oil are you planning to use? Not trying to turn this into an oil thread - just curious as I think you were running DT40.
** Never mind the question - I see that you are moving to FR50**

Last edited by code7rpd; 02-09-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Bore Scoring - dodged a bullet