Sponsored by:

Headlamp washers not working.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:21 PM
F777
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp washers not working.

I have a 2005 997 Carrera S and am based in the UK. The headlamp washers have stopped working. The fuse is intact. The dedicated headlight washer pump functions when tested by connecting it directly to a power source. I swapped the relay with a known good relay and also tested the operating switch on the wiper control stalk. I have also established that the headlight washers do not work with every tenth windscreen wash. So other than an unlikely wire break it is looking increasingly like a software issue.

Despite extensive internet searching I have only found one reference to a similar problem and that was on this forum where a helpful owner had responded to a poster with '....I had non-fuctioning headlamp washers and heated seats at the same time. The solution was a handover(sic) reset on PIWIS.'

I am not sure whether that poster meant a 'hard reset on PIWIS' if he/she didn't then what is a 'handover reset'?

I do not have heated seats.

I have an iCarsoft i960 OBD reader and having spent some time trawling through all the options it offers and it shows me things like the values for the intermittent wiper delay values and other values for various of the car systems but nowhere can I find anything related to the headlight washer system.

So my thoughts are that the relevant electronics in the car have 'forgotten' the car has headlight washers fitted.

Anybody any suggestions or am I going to have to employ the services of someone with the correct piece of kit to re-program the car as required?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:53 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Move to north Texas where it never rains and you won't miss the headlight cleaners. Just make sure your a/c works as it was 42c today.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:54 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Do you have the Sports Chrono Package? If so, theres an option to turn it on / off. If not, someone else may have had the dealer turn it off.
I have mine off. All it does is spray washer fluid all across your hood.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:56 PM
F777
7th Gear

Move to north Texas where it never rains and you won't miss the headlight cleaners. Just make sure your a/c works as it was 42c today.
It is tempting and the air conditioning works! Unfortunately in the UK all equiment fitted to the vehicle has to work for the annual roadworthiness test called the MOT test. So although I think the headlamp washers are about as much use as a chocolate teapot they do need to be working.

Do you have the Sports Chrono Package? If so, theres an option to turn it on / off. If not, someone else may have had the dealer turn it off. I have mine off. All it does is spray washer fluid all across your hood.
From the UK Porsche Owners Club forum the consensus is that this problem can occur if the battery goes flat in some circumstances. The battery was failing before I replaced it and on at least two occasions it was unable to start the car. I am told that the car needs a Porsche PIWIS (or similar) connection to tell the car it has headlamp washers! What a bizarre situation.

I will post an update when I have solved the issue.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 AM
TheRealStig
Track Day

I know this might sound like a totally daft suggestion, but is your reservoir filled to the top?
I ask as my last Audi had a feature whereby when the levels got to a certain point in the reservoir, they stopped spraying the lights and reverted to windscreen only..
Could this be a feature in the 911?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:30 PM
F777
7th Gear

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the level today and it was full so not the answer.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 PM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Silly question but mine only work when headlights are turned on. Are your headlights on when you try?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:06 PM
F777
7th Gear

Not a silly question because some times the obvious gets overlooked! I have tried with the headlights on and no luck.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 PM
F777
7th Gear

An update for anybody interested.

I visited a friend's workshop and borrowed his Snap-On Solus Ultra diagnostic box. It has the ability to test various systems including the headlamp washers. The diagnostic box activated the headlight washers and also confirmed the steering column switch function. This confirmed that the car software needed addressing.

After a few fruitless telephone calls I found an independent who was very helpful on the telephone and I took the car over to them this morning. Great set up on a small industrial complex, friendly and attentive staff and 15 minutes later they had reset the software to tell the car it had headlamp washers! What was especially pleasing was that with an hourly rate of £70 per hour they just charged me for 20 minutes labour which I was a very pleasant surprise. They have just gained a future customer!

For anybody in the UK looking for a good independent in the south of England they are Autofarm

Thanks for the suggestions made when trying to solve this problem.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you leaking fluid anywhere? The hose may have split or become disconnected from the washer tank/motor.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 PM
F777
7th Gear

???
Old 08-03-2018, 06:29 PM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F777
An update for anybody interested.

I visited a friend's workshop and borrowed his Snap-On Solus Ultra diagnostic box. It has the ability to test various systems including the headlamp washers. The diagnostic box activated the headlight washers and also confirmed the steering column switch function. This confirmed that the car software needed addressing.

After a few fruitless telephone calls I found an independent who was very helpful on the telephone and I took the car over to them this morning. Great set up on a small industrial complex, friendly and attentive staff and 15 minutes later they had reset the software to tell the car it had headlamp washers! What was especially pleasing was that with an hourly rate of £70 per hour they just charged me for 20 minutes labour which I was a very pleasant surprise. They have just gained a future customer!

For anybody in the UK looking for a good independent in the south of England they are Autofarm

Thanks for the suggestions made when trying to solve this problem.
Great outcome...I thought you were going to find it was some new Porsche Water Conservation 'upgrade'...
Old 08-03-2018, 06:44 PM
alwayswantedone
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed, great outcome! Your post has inspired me to try out my headlight washers. I've never once even tested them. My car is dirty at the moment, so perfect opportunity!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 PM
Jacky Yap
1st Gear

Default Change your fuse!

Hi,
You might try to change the fuse no. 18 in your fuse box which is a 20amp fuse. Located at the side of your front passenger seat near the airbag section. It should work.

Originally Posted by F777
I have a 2005 997 Carrera S and am based in the UK. The headlamp washers have stopped working. The fuse is intact. The dedicated headlight washer pump functions when tested by connecting it directly to a power source. I swapped the relay with a known good relay and also tested the operating switch on the wiper control stalk. I have also established that the headlight washers do not work with every tenth windscreen wash. So other than an unlikely wire break it is looking increasingly like a software issue.

Despite extensive internet searching I have only found one reference to a similar problem and that was on this forum where a helpful owner had responded to a poster with '....I had non-fuctioning headlamp washers and heated seats at the same time. The solution was a handover(sic) reset on PIWIS.'

I am not sure whether that poster meant a 'hard reset on PIWIS' if he/she didn't then what is a 'handover reset'?

I do not have heated seats.

I have an iCarsoft i960 OBD reader and having spent some time trawling through all the options it offers and it shows me things like the values for the intermittent wiper delay values and other values for various of the car systems but nowhere can I find anything related to the headlight washer system.

So my thoughts are that the relevant electronics in the car have 'forgotten' the car has headlight washers fitted.

Anybody any suggestions or am I going to have to employ the services of someone with the correct piece of kit to re-program the car as required?
Old 02-09-2020, 10:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

2009 C2S 152K miles

Are you sure it is not working? The operation is quirky. First, the washer only sprays when low or high beam lights are ON. ... or... with wipers on, fire your windshield washer.. the headlamp washer will fie every 10 times you wash the windshield.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Headlamp washers not working.