Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997.1 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:51 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

If it is an IMS solution kit that was installed, not only should there be a decal, but it should also be registered by the manufacture as well.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:16 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I will inspect the car for the sticker once it returns from Foreign Affairs Motorsport. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:30 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,170 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by JEHolloway
Tuner Mall did the IMS with oil feed. I called and verified by the VIN number. It was done in 2014 for $2089.00. This corresponded to my receipt.

Foreign Affairs Motorsport is correcting the warped front rotors by replacing pads and rotors for 950.00. I took it there because they have been maintaining the car from 2016.

I will ask them to inspect Bushings for evidence of failure.

Where exactly and when is the cars and coffee in WPB?

PS. Great suggestions. Thanks for looking after me. I need adult supervision 😊
I'll just chime in and state that your car does not have an IMS Solution, which backdates the intermediate shaft to a oil fed plain bearing. It is fitted with a DOF that sprays oil at the original bearing, or optionally, to a new bearing if that was fitted at the time of installation. The DOF was originally sold without a bearing and only in later years offered with a replacement bearing, so I would verify if the bearing was actually changed or not.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:54 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I'll just chime in and state that your car does not have an IMS Solution, which backdates the intermediate shaft to a oil fed plain bearing. It is fitted with a DOF that sprays oil at the original bearing, or optionally, to a new bearing if that was fitted at the time of installation. The DOF was originally sold without a bearing and only in later years offered with a replacement bearing, so I would verify if the bearing was actually changed or not.
Hi Charles
Those who have the new engine (engines installed around 2007 onwards - after I checked the engine number) do not need an IMS solution, right?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f911
Hi Charles
Those who have the new engine (engines installed around 2007 onwards - after I checked the engine number) do not need an IMS solution, right?
The MY06-08 engines with the larger non-serviceable bearing should have the grease seal removed to allow the engine oil in the sump to properly lubricate the bearing.

https://imsretrofit.com/my06-08/

Under no circumstances should you bore out the block and carry out an invasive procedure to replace the IMS bearing as recommended by some.
The following users liked this post:
f911 (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 10:42 AM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Hi Charles,

Here is the receipt. Tell me what you think.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:05 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Hi Charles,

Here is the receipt. Tell me what you think.
It got the DOF with an SKF steel ball bearing. Not the IMS Solution. 100% positive there.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:38 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

I believe this is the same retro install that Ant from Wheeler Dealers did for the 996 cab IMS bearing upgrade. I don't know how I feel about cutting the bell housing but I'd rather have a more robust IMS bearing that was plug and play.

https://tunersmotorsports.com/trs-de...llation-guide/
Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
I believe this is the same retro install that Ant from Wheeler Dealers did for the 996 cab IMS bearing upgrade. I don't know how I feel about cutting the bell housing but I'd rather have a more robust IMS bearing that was plug and play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Pu6BMgqAs

Incorrect. They used the IMS Solution in the Wheeler Dealer's 996 episode. Other than having to notch the bellhousing for the oil line, there is nothing in common between the IMS Solution and DOF other than they both have an oil line.
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Default So what exactly does this mean to the safety of my solution?

It got the DOF with an SKF steel ball bearing. Not the IMS Solution. 100% positive there.
Thanks for the comment. Could you please elaborate on the solution that was used on my 997.1?

Is it a good solution?
Can it be trusted to be effective?

Thanks

Old 02-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comment. Could you please elaborate on the solution that was used on my 997.1?

Is it a good solution?
Can it be trusted to be effective?

Thanks
The bearing that was used is similar in load rating and design to what the Pelican Parts IMS kit uses, which is essentially stock. Pelican recommends a 3 year or 36,000 mi service interval, however you should defer to the manufacturer of your kit for their recommendation.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:41 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Pu6BMgqAs

When I saw this Wheeler dealers episode I was excited to see them using the IMS Solutions by Jake/Charles. I know tv and I know they always add a little "drama" to keep the audience interested when painting this bearing as a ticking time bomb waiting to happen in every 911. Yet, I still thought they did a nice job showing the installation and explaining how the fix works. I sort of laughed and then cried when they totally took a dump on my old favorite K&N Intake kit and threw it in the garbage but then every sound clip used when the 911 was revving was straight up from the K&N screaming
Old 02-06-2020, 09:19 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
BTW, I was curious who the RL member was who had Posted his DIY walmart inspired $165 IMS Bearing replacement
It was old RL member KrazyK - I see he deleted all of his posts within the thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-thread-2.html
**The thread is worth the read - I'm gonna re-read it. I think I remember contributing a post a photo of a monkey working on his car.
Also, it may have been a different thread where the craziness got nutty.

*Here's the buyers Post on RL when engine imploded:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ong-story.html

Those were fun times in the 996 Forum back in 2013.
I forgotten whether the engine actually grenaded or just that buyer found out repair wasn't professionally performed as described by seller.
Watching KrazyK trying to dig himself out of a deep hole after BS'ing the buyer of his car was so entertaining.

Those days in the 996 Forum got nutty. As a matter of fact the RL Moderators were getting fed up with all the BS that finally one RL member setup his own 996 Webforum called "996Outpost"
Doesn't even get close to RL but just goes to show how out of control things can get

Thanks for the information. To answer your question the IMS Bearing single row and oil feed was done in 2014. I will call the shop for the serial number.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:21 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Hi Charles,

Looks like my bearing was installed in 2014 and its been about 10000 miles since then. I will contact manufacturer with questions.

Jay
Old 02-06-2020, 09:23 PM
JEHolloway
Intermediate

Also Charles, Is a service interval to go in and look at the replaced bearing or is it to go in and replace t bearing? The shop said I should be good to go for the life of the car if the bearing was replaced.

Quick Reply: New 997.1 Owner