Old 01-18-2020, 02:45 AM
Mustache
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Silver Sport Gas Cap Install

Link to the cap on Suncoast parts
Here

Notes
It's a simple and straight forward install that probably doesn't merit a thread but there are couple tips you can use that might make it worth a read.

If you'd rather watch a French man install one with English subtitles you can do so

I've seen a number of people mention the fact that the cap is a cheap piece of silver plastic vs a real solid aluminum cap which an aftermarket company makes. Though this is true, I don't think it would be wise to install a hard aluminum one that can ding your fender if it swings toward it or if the aftermarket one doesn't use the tether, then you'll be looking for a place to put it down every time you're pumping. The aftermarket one reads "Petroleum" vs. "Porsche"

You can find the aftermarket one here

Install

The paperwork inside the box encourages you to visit the dealership and not install it during the 4th of July. We're in January and I figure with the amount of time I spend on the forum I'm ASE certified

I used 2 different size allen keys which I'll let you figure out on your own. Smaller one to remove the original and the larger one to install the new one (This is probably the best piece of info you'll get from the whole thread)

The box includes 2 straps to clip it to your fuel door. You'll be using the one with the square end which has the clip separately. You can get rid of the other one.

Perfectly normal gas cap I wouldn’t consider replacing if Porsche didn’t make a shiny version

There’s a pin you have to remove from the clip that’s holding the tether in place. Find an allen key with a smaller diameter than the pin to push it in and out the back of the clip. You have the new one in the box to test out what size allen key to use.

Note The pin can fall into the drain hole inside the fuel door, you won’t need it since the kit comes with a new one but you can cover the hole with a rag or a piece of tape to avoid it from happening.

Little guys out

The strap on the original cap points to the right.

But the new one points to the left.

Obviously you can flip it but I was worried you’d be looking at the “back” of the part where the dimples are.

The dimples go towards the back on the original one.

The good news is that the face of the new cap is larger and hides whichever way you install it, so put the cable pointing right.

Now you want to use a bigger allen key to finish the job. I initially struggled because I used the little allen key from earlier. If you try to do the whole job with one key you’ll have to be spot on to actually push the pin through and you run the risk of pushing it in too far. The bigger key is more forgiving to push it in and ensures the pin will sit flush with the face of the clip.

I put a rag over the tip in case it slipped.

Done! $140 on piece of plastic which only I can see when I pump gas and makes absolutely no difference otherwise. It does look nice though.

BTW the strap will never look this pretty ever again. The first time you dangle it off the door it goes back in all mangled up and you'll never get it right again.

Last edited by Mustache; 01-18-2020 at 09:44 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mustache:
dmpslc (01-18-2020), Ironman88 (01-18-2020), myw (02-19-2020), swish77 (08-20-2023), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 07:13 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

I have that too. One more tip...when you pop out that center pin that holds the tether, put some tape over the little hole (fuel spill drain) in that area down there, as the pin can fall down that hole after you pop it out (ask me how I know). LOL. Luckily, a little water poured in the drain and it fell out below the car.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I’m glad that I installed mine on my car. I just wish that after the clicks the Porsche wouldn’t be sideways. You have to continue to keep turning to make it straight. Real world problems here.
The following 2 users liked this post by BaileyII:
FLPorsche (06-15-2024), rileyracing1 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,681 Likes on 4,241 Posts

I have the solid metal one. No tether. Just set it on the gas pump when filling then screw it back in when done - not a big deal.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:42 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

My wife caught me looking at one of these and she wanted to get one for me as a stocking stuffer but when I saw the dealer price and it was plastic for god sakes I told her to forget about it.
Would it have killed them to stamp a 2 cent piece of aluminum over the damn plastic cap to give it an authentic look & feel. Seen them as low as $100 for the oem ones online and $70.00 for the offshore identical cap if you still want one ...
Old 01-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

The old one’s plastic too. Just that this one looks so much better and it says Porsche on it instead of Petroleum like the aftermarket one. Besides, plastic saves weight over metal. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
ADias (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 01:32 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 272 Posts

While I don't have this cap, I would recommend, like Petza, to remove the tether. One of the first "mods" I did. Cut that thing off.

Cw
Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 117 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder if the 997 cap and 991 cap are the same?? If so, and supporting the 'cheap piece of plastic' comment, there are caps sourced from China for the 991 for as little as $68 and appear to be indistinguishable from the one from Suncoast which is on sale at $139 on their site.

ADDED: Just went over to Suncoast and checked the part number for the OEM gas cap for both 997 and 991 and they are the same part (PX9X7GASCAP), indicating that the China part will fit....
myw (02-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 04:27 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

This one is real aluminum. For the same price. https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com..._Gas_Cap_.html
The following 4 users liked this post by mpath:
DesmoSD (11-09-2020), Ironman88 (01-18-2020), rileyracing1 (01-18-2020), scadams (01-20-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,359 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by gcthree
I wonder if the 997 cap and 991 cap are the same?? If so, and supporting the 'cheap piece of plastic' comment, there are caps sourced from China for the 991 for as little as $68 and appear to be indistinguishable from the one from Suncoast which is on sale at $139 on their site.

ADDED: Just went over to Suncoast and checked the part number for the OEM gas cap for both 997 and 991 and they are the same part (PX9X7GASCAP), indicating that the China part will fit....
Good information.
I wonder if the tether may be different for the 991 vs the 997? Could probably use the original one with the new cap I guess.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:09 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by mpath
This one is real aluminum. For the same price. https://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com..._Gas_Cap_.html
Ok now we are talking .... These are sweet ...Couldn't resist I just went over there and bought one in gunmetal Thx for the link !

.... Also for those who don't know ...Some fuel doors on the inside have a half moon metal cut out attached (at least my 997 and Cayenne have it) which is meant for you to put your fuel cap there so it is stationary while refueling so it does not bounce around or make you want to cut the tether off while some other doors just have a hook there to hang the tether over while refueling.

Last edited by rileyracing1; 01-18-2020 at 09:25 PM.
djevans99 (08-07-2022)
Old 01-18-2020, 09:16 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,359 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by gcthree

Looking at these sellers from China more closely - appears to be about 3 different sellers. Two of the three - almost zero sales track-record. Looking at the return policy - the buyer has to get prior approval to return the item and the buyer has to pay for return shipping (to China).

They claim the component is OEM with OEM-looking packaging etc. I don't think I'll be reaching out on this one.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

I confess, I didn't use either tether that came with the new cap, I just slipped the tether and associated slip ring off the original cap and on to the new cap, works great and i didn't have to deal with the little push pin. I too like the look better, plastic or not. I did buy the outrageously over priced cap from Suncoast because it went on sale, then the bastards charged enough to ship that it wiped out the savings from the sale.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts

I have the $70 supposedly OEM cap coming from China. The tracking # shows it processed through San Francisco today so I should have it the middle of this coming week. I'll post an update and pictures once I receive it and let everyone know if it's worthwhile or not.
The following 2 users liked this post by boisenelson:
Ironman88 (01-18-2020), myw (02-19-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I just bought one to return the favor to my friend who bought me mine...love the look.

Quick Reply: Silver Sport Gas Cap Install