Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 997 the last real 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020 | 10:51 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I think that the factual history is a little bit different than you've remembered it.

VW took control of Porsche after Porsche's attempt to take over control of VW failed (this was 2009.) See this article for the details...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ng-forced-out/
yes, that is the story. The little fish trying to swallow the big fish and the little fish got swallowed by the big fish instead.
Old 01-16-2020 | 10:56 PM
Semitone
Pro

Hmmm..If the 997 is that last real 911, and I have never driven a 997 I like as much as my 987S, then I guess I will never get a real 911.

Luckily I really like the 992 and can get that instead.
Old 01-17-2020 | 12:08 AM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

997 not the last real 911, but it is the sweet spot.
The following 4 users liked this post by bheit1:
997DROP (01-20-2020), Doug H (01-17-2020), gtvr6 (01-17-2020), SpeedyD (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 12:17 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bheit1
997 not the last real 911, but it is the sweet spot.
Well said.
Old 01-17-2020 | 12:24 AM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ALEV8
Yes. Watch the guys at the dealership flock when a nice 997 rolls in. I get endless compliments from the service writers, valets, etc.....sales guys not so much. Everyone else yes.

Last analog steering and throttle. Go drive a 991......
Last summer an employee delivered my 997.2 6 sp and picked up their loaner Cayenne. He went on about what a beautiful car it was, and he sees new ones every day.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 01:01 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Lets just say the 997 the last of a "breed"
Old 01-17-2020 | 01:02 PM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

I'd say its a sweet spot...why?

Based on what
ThomasCarreraGTS said above "Well, you have the financial details down but I have to disagree about the influence that VW Group has on Porsche now. VW is the largest auto manufacturer in the world and as a public, shareholder owned company, it has an obligation and primary goal to provide the highest possible return for its shareholders. Yes, Porsche certainly wanted to make money before, but history shows that the product / price balance was different before Porsche was folded into the larger company. So effective with Porsche being part of the VW Group, product did change. Even our beloved 911 went from excellence being the goal to excellence at a price and the amount of parts bin content increased dramatically. There is now so much shared with VW and Audi and the next 911 platform will be shared across brands as well, instead of being a dedicated rear engine design. And all the new cost-cutting measures that the 992 buyers are complaining about are largely attributable to the VW Group influence"

You'd be naive to say that Porsches processes/engineering and final choices are not based on some kind of move to satisfy VW/shareholders....which means, everything that happened during/after that is going to be a little different. You know Porsche HQ tries its hardest to produce "pure" enjoyable Porsche.... but at the end of the day, cross platforms with other manufactures and satisfying customers/numbers and shareholders is the goal. Even if the die hard Porsche guys dont want that direction... so maybe the 997 was made at a different point/time of Porsches influence and goal..and thats why it may be a sweet spot?
The following 2 users liked this post by Vince Vincent:
Ironman88 (01-17-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 02:31 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vince Honorato

Based on what
ThomasCarreraGTS said above "Well, you have the financial details down but I have to disagree about the influence that VW Group has on Porsche now. VW is the largest auto manufacturer in the world and as a public, shareholder owned company, it has an obligation and primary goal to provide the highest possible return for its shareholders. Yes, Porsche certainly wanted to make money before, but history shows that the product / price balance was different before Porsche was folded into the larger company. So effective with Porsche being part of the VW Group, product did change. Even our beloved 911 went from excellence being the goal to excellence at a price and the amount of parts bin content increased dramatically. There is now so much shared with VW and Audi and the next 911 platform will be shared across brands as well, instead of being a dedicated rear engine design. And all the new cost-cutting measures that the 992 buyers are complaining about are largely attributable to the VW Group influence"

You'd be naive to say that Porsches processes/engineering and final choices are not based on some kind of move to satisfy VW/shareholders....which means, everything that happened during/after that is going to be a little different. You know Porsche HQ tries its hardest to produce "pure" enjoyable Porsche.... but at the end of the day, cross platforms with other manufactures and satisfying customers/numbers and shareholders is the goal. Even if the die hard Porsche guys dont want that direction... so maybe the 997 was made at a different point/time of Porsches influence and goal..and thats why it may be a sweet spot?
What's important is the fact that the Porsche family has a controlling interest in VW, and I believe, always has. VW will provide working capital during lean times that hit luxury product manufacturers particularly hard (Porsche has been on the verge of bankruptcy more than once). That's about all that's changed. Yes, there is sharing of parts and resources among brands. Economy of scale is a good thing, as long as the engineering is good. Hopefully VW's capital will prevent corner cutting like sealed bearings in engines, etc. in the future. I'm not worried about Porsche as long they have family members on the board and their name is on the brand.
To me the 997.2 is the sweet spot because it still retains at least the appearance of an analog machine, I can do most of the maintenance myself, and it doesn't have the problems of the earlier water cooled engines. The 997.2 doesn't have the panache of the air cooled versions ( it will), but it has better performance and I don't have to replace half the car. It also has good head restraints and air bags. I can just get in and drive it.

Last edited by bheit1; 01-17-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2020 | 03:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yelcab
yes, that is the story. The little fish trying to swallow the big fish and the little fish got swallowed by the big fish instead.

The 'little fish' actually is the big fish. Porsche Holdings owns the majority of the Volkswagen Group, and it already did when Porsche the car company was rolled into VW.
Old 01-17-2020 | 03:43 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
The 'little fish' actually is the big fish. Porsche Holdings owns the majority of the Volkswagen Group, and it already did when Porsche the car company was rolled into VW.
This is correct!
Old 01-17-2020 | 03:58 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
Kind of... for the following reasons:

- Last car you can still access the engine
- Mostly still mechanical
- Rear-bias similar to old models (991 moved engine forward)
- Less luxury, more raw feel
- Hydraulic steering
- Most maintenance items still could be done by owner
Last 911 with a real key.
ThomasCarreraGTS (01-18-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 04:04 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

It's pretty messy. I find it hard to understand if one should consider Porsche AG, owned by VW, whose dominant shareholder is Porsche Holdings, which is controlled by the Porsche/Piëch families, to have management approaches and objectives that are the same or different from when Porsche was "independent" of VW. That would take some real inside baseball to know. Glad they still make cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_SE
Old 01-17-2020 | 06:38 PM
JustinCase
Racer

I don't know nor care if the 997 is "the last real 911," but I do believe I will be the "last real owner of THIS 997." {Love}

Also, if someone gave me a 991 or 992 or 99X, I would gleefully accept and probably keep that one, too. May I please stay on this forum, anyway?
The following 2 users liked this post by JustinCase:
Doug H (01-18-2020), Semitone (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 07:43 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Originally Posted by Semitone
Hmmm..If the 997 is that last real 911, and I have never driven a 997 I like as much as my 987S, then I guess I will never get a real 911.

Luckily I really like the 992 and can get that instead.
hmmm...sounds like the 992 would be a good match for you. good luck.
Old 01-18-2020 | 02:21 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vince Honorato

I may well have this wrong but wasn't the 997 the last 911 designed and built by Porsche without the influences of VW/Audi? I've read several stories (can't find them now) stating that the Audi folks more so than VW have been more involved in the 911 beginning with the 991 (and I'm sure other Porsche models). Looking at the 911 models starting with the 991 compared to the 997 I see no reason to doubt this.
Doug H (01-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the 997 the last real 911?