997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning smell when driving "spirited".

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020 | 06:54 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Default Burning smell when driving "spirited".

So I'm on my 4th month of ownership. Love the car, still ironing out the do's and dont's. I have noticed on several occasions when the car is pushed a bit the oil temp creeps a tad above 200 which I assume is completely normal but I also notice a very noticable burning smell. Inside and outside of the car. No smoke but the smell really makes me nervous. Car burns no oil, tailpipes are spotless, does'nt smell like oil burning. Zero oils leaks so nothing on the exhaust. Now this is ONLY if I push it a bit and not necessarily hard even for a short period. Im clueless. Any clues?
Old 01-12-2020 | 07:18 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Normal.
Old 01-12-2020 | 07:20 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-12-2020 | 07:31 PM
crazy997
Instructor

Someone else asked this recently too. The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that tires expel some rubber particles on the mufflers and they get hot and create the smell. Personally I enjoy that smell
Old 01-12-2020 | 09:16 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Originally Posted by crazy997
Someone else asked this recently too. The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that tires expel some rubber particles on the mufflers and they get hot and create the smell. Personally I enjoy that smell
or trash from the road getting picked up.
The following users liked this post:
crazy997 (01-12-2020)
Old 01-13-2020 | 05:35 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Or cosmolene (or other shipping protectant) that takes about 75K miles to burn off of the motor and exhaust.

I've found that the smell (aka Porsche perfume) eventually goes away. And yes, I do kind of miss it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
dmpslc (01-13-2020), JustinCase (01-13-2020)
Old 01-14-2020 | 02:54 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Yeah just google cosmoline (spelling) the engine is coated with that stuff. It protects it from gunk as far as I know. I think someone mentioned they switched to something less stinky for the 991
Old 01-14-2020 | 05:40 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

I agree with everything above. The tires smell more because of their closeness to the engine and exhaust. There is also a unique "porsche cologne" emitted even when I just drive a couple miles. It is clearly from the engine and exhaust. I do not see these smells as abnormal but they are unique to the 911. Every car I have had has different "normal" smells that would trip me out at first but then I would get used to them. Also, problem smells are more standardized. A burning clutch smells like a burning clutch on a hyundai and on a porsche IMO. <---- maybe the porsche one smells better, lol...but the unique smells given off by this car are my tires smell like they do after some track driving even when I am just going to the store for some groceries, and there is clearly a proprietary coating as mentioned above that has a unique smell. My car is just shy of 25k, so I think it will be there for a while longer.
Old 01-15-2020 | 01:41 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Totally normal and now you get to smell "manly" to your girl/wife like you do something with your hands... but don't. My wife prefers this to my cigar smoking days.
Old 01-15-2020 | 06:34 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Totally normal ... I love that smell ....Porsche should bottle that smell so we can have a sniff now and then when we are chained to our offices.
Prestige_Swiss (01-05-2023)
Old 05-30-2022 | 12:52 PM
cgpeders
2nd Gear

Default Burnt smell after hard driving

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
So I'm on my 4th month of ownership. Love the car, still ironing out the do's and dont's. I have noticed on several occasions when the car is pushed a bit the oil temp creeps a tad above 200 which I assume is completely normal but I also notice a very noticable burning smell. Inside and outside of the car. No smoke but the smell really makes me nervous. Car burns no oil, tailpipes are spotless, does'nt smell like oil burning. Zero oils leaks so nothing on the exhaust. Now this is ONLY if I push it a bit and not necessarily hard even for a short period. Im clueless. Any clues?
All the replies are wrong so far. It is the clutch pack inside the transfer case burning, trying to send torque to front end. Change your fluid and add ford motors co. friction modifier to the fluid. It may be too late for that depending on how burnt it is you may need a new transfer case, or replace clutch pack if you can find new clutch pack. I don't think they sell new clutches as I need one but can not find it anywhere
Old 05-30-2022 | 01:58 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgpeders
All the replies are wrong so far. It is the clutch pack inside the transfer case burning, trying to send torque to front end. Change your fluid and add ford motors co. friction modifier to the fluid. It may be too late for that depending on how burnt it is you may need a new transfer case, or replace clutch pack if you can find new clutch pack. I don't think they sell new clutches as I need one but can not find it anywhere
Interesting assumption you've made. How did you factually determine that his car is a C4 / C4S variant based on his post above?

All of the replies (previous to yours) are the ones that accurately depict a typical 997 characteristic.

Old 05-30-2022 | 02:02 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cgpeders
WTF???
Ironman88 (05-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Burning smell when driving "spirited".