997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to Porsche! (happy I think)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020 | 11:01 AM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

Default Back to Porsche! (happy I think)

Well after a long break when I sold my 964 almost 6 years ago (yeah I would have made more cash if I had held it for one more year....story of my life). I am back with a new (to me) 2009 997.2 PDK Cab. I got a great deal on this car and figured I would have to put some cash into it, so I am now in wait mode from my tech. I bought this from a dealer in LA and shipped it to NC. It's amazing what you can save by buying cars from a larger market and just shipping them. I got it for 36.500 US, 1800 shipping with 85K on the clock and generally in very good shape. A few minor bumper nicks but nothing that won't buff out or be easily fixed. The center console needs painting, but that's expected.

With that being said - the adage "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche" is starting to come to mind. I knew the right front strut was blown, so that is no surprise. It looks like I can get them through Pelican for about 350 each. Other suggestions welcome it's a PASM car. I have had to replace the door latch sensor for the window....ok no problem.

However, apparently I now have a large trans leak, (not on PPI) We are going to do a trans service and replace the pan and see if that is it. Otherwise I may invest in therapy or bourbon. So I am now in the preverbal hospital waiting room. There are no codes so I am hoping this is simple and just a gasket or something somewhere. I did read the trans sticky at the top of the group.

I had an old account and user name but it's been so long I can't even remember the email address it was with. So not new to Rennlist just coming back.

Here is a picture of one of the 4 days I got to drive it.

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020 | 11:08 AM
fast1
Race Car

I'm not a risk taker. That's why I've never bought a used car, but if I did it would have to be a CPO car. That way I'd have two years to take care of any unexpected costly surprises. Anyway hopefully this will be your last major repair. GL.
Old 01-09-2020 | 11:49 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on a beautiful cabrio.

I'd stick on the side positivity for now right up until the point where you get some confirmed bad news.
Old 01-09-2020 | 12:25 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Congrats, enjoy in good health, once car is healthy!!
Old 01-09-2020 | 12:40 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by ExileOnMainSt
With that being said - the adage "there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche" is starting to come to mind.
I've never heard that one before. And I certainly have never experienced it. Maybe I've been lucky but with due diligence (PPI, documentation, learning the seller history), I don't think it's particularly difficult to find a gem, especially if we're talking 997.2. Welcome back and good luck.
Old 01-09-2020 | 02:21 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Congrats!!!!
Old 01-09-2020 | 06:29 PM
ExileOnMainSt
Track Day

All is well! It was just a leak at the pan and I needed to do the trans service anyway.

I guess I should have gone with my Mark Twain quote “ I had a lot of trouble in my life most of it never happened’
The following users liked this post:
jeebus31 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020 | 08:31 PM
street rod
Drifting

Great news and love the Stones references and plate. Very nice .2 Cab in one of my favorite colors. We need more pics.

Quick Reply: Back to Porsche! (happy I think)