Sponsored by:

Turbo car questions from potential buyer

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 03:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Sports Exhaust button was option right? Even on Turbos? The original owner had to purchase the option when ordering the car.

Im guessing very few people did go for that option BECAUSE the Turbo has a very quiet exhaust. You don’t need a button to make the exhaust even quieter 😂 The exhaust note is often described as pathetic until an aftermarket exhaust is installed. And PS those are pricey.

The turbos seem difficult in terms of exhaust note. Even with some after market exhausts I've heard. Better than stock but still lacks the Porsche grunt to my ears. Maybe I've haven't heard the right configuration yet.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
The turbos seem difficult in terms of exhaust note. Even with some after market exhausts I've heard. Better than stock but still lacks the Porsche grunt to my ears. Maybe I've haven't heard the right configuration yet.
This 2013 997.2 tt I heard the other day had a glorious deep rumble and sounded very cool IMO at idle and lower rpms. It did not hear it in the upper rev range. The owner swore up and down the car was all stock.

I really like the sound of my GTS at higher revs. I need to look and see if it has an X-Pipe or something aftermarket. I just like the way it sounds and don't care if it is stock or aftermarket enough to get down on the floor and look.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

There are aftermarket valved exhaust options for thr turbo cars. Other than the coolant pipes, you also have to check that the cam gears have been addressed so they don't spin and get out of time.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:45 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,475 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think you’re right. My 996 C4S with Fister mufflers had the best exhaust note of the three 911s that I’ve owned. My 991 turbo with FVD exhaust sounds better than the OE exhaust, but not as good as a normally aspirated car.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
This 2013 997.2 tt I heard the other day had a glorious deep rumble and sounded very cool IMO at idle and lower rpms. It did not hear it in the upper rev range. The owner swore up and down the car was all stock.

I really like the sound of my GTS at higher revs. I need to look and see if it has an X-Pipe or something aftermarket. I just like the way it sounds and don't care if it is stock or aftermarket enough to get down on the floor and look.
If you like it, my guess is that the center muffler has been replaced with one of a number of x-pipe options. With the OEM center muffler, the GTS is pretty quiet across the RPM range even with the standard PSE at loud mode. I have the Sharkwerks x-pipes and with the PSE in loud mode it really gets your attention beginning just under 4,000 rpm. Not obnoxiously or stupid fart can loud but just right for a 911 imo.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:38 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

I had a 2006 C2S cab for 4 years. I sold it last May and bought a 2009 TT cab . I think the 2009TT is a major improvement over the C2S and I am very happy I did it.

Quick Reply: Turbo car questions from potential buyer