Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's Celebrate 997 Engineering

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019 | 04:16 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Default Let's Celebrate 997 Engineering

The 997 is an engineering marvel in many ways. But most of us are oblivious to what's going on under the hood. Share a 997 engineering marvel that you know about in the comments below!! I'd like to learn more about this incredible car!

I'll go first. When I did my brake job, I noticed there were ducts under the car that channeled air right onto the rotors. Brilliant. Then when I installed the rotors, I learned they were directional, because the rotors essentially have fan blades inside of them that channel air. This is my first Porsche and I'd never seen anything like that!!

I have a question too! Is the 9A1 dry sump? What about the M96/7?
Old 12-03-2019 | 05:30 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

I am a simpleton but the cup holders get me every time.
The following users liked this post:
byroncheung (12-06-2019)
Old 12-03-2019 | 05:50 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I am a simpleton but the cup holders get me every time.
I love them and hate them, lol, but much prefer them to the 992. Yuck. Do your drinks move in the corners, mine gently glides toward the passenger side and I have to reach over and bring it back. I'm guessing mine are broken or something, haha!!
Old 12-03-2019 | 06:02 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

(*deleted comment as it offended some*).

Cheap shot I know, but a pretty major screw up. I do marvel at how they finally tamed the back end handling issues. Us long time 911 owners certainly remember the dreaded "lift throttle oversteer" of the earlier cars.

Last edited by PV997; 12-03-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2019 | 07:45 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PV997
How about using an inaccessible sewing machine bearing to support one end of the IMS because an "efficiency expert" (who probably last consulted on a Camry) convinced management it was too much trouble to run oil back there despite the engineering team's objections.

Cheap shot I know, but a pretty major screw up. I do marvel at how they finally tamed the back end handling issues. Us long time 911 owners certainly remember the dreaded "lift throttle oversteer" of the earlier cars.

You can still get a lot of that if you have a sport button to press, which deactivates the delayed throttle closure.
Old 12-03-2019 | 07:53 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

How about using an inaccessible sewing machine bearing to support one end of the IMS because an "efficiency expert" (who probably last consulted on a Camry) convinced management it was too much trouble to run oil back there despite the engineering team's objections.

Nice, literally 3 posts then “that guy” chimes in. The guy was trying to create a positive thread, which for this forum is refreshing.

I personally have tons to love about the car. The feel
of how connected everything is, how tight the doors close, how the engine revs effortlessly. I really like the overall shape and curves. I have owned quite a few different cars and this is easily the best to this point.
Old 12-03-2019 | 07:56 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by snaphappy
I love them and hate them, lol, but much prefer them to the 992. Yuck. Do your drinks move in the corners, mine gently glides toward the passenger side and I have to reach over and bring it back. I'm guessing mine are broken or something, haha!!
Close the middle door on the cup holder assembly and the cup holders won’t move around.
The following users liked this post:
byroncheung (12-06-2019)
Old 12-03-2019 | 08:11 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Close the middle door on the cup holder assembly and the cup holders won’t move around.
Mine still move 😂
Old 12-03-2019 | 08:12 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Yeah people are so obsessed with trolling and being mean that they’ll put down their own cars 😕
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:08 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Nice, literally 3 posts then “that guy” chimes in. The guy was trying to create a positive thread, which for this forum is refreshing.
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:15 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Yeah people are so obsessed with trolling and being mean that they’ll put down their own cars 😕
No one was trying to be mean or trolling, good grief you guys are sensitive. I added my positive experience and I love 911's, have owned them for 29 years now, but it aint all unicorns and rainbows. Seriously, you guys need thicker skins and need to lighten up a little. No one took a shot at you or questioned your judgement.

I'm a Boeing engineer for crying out loud, trust me that we know painfully well about high profile engineering screw ups.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:23 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

No one was trying to be mean or trolling, good grief you guys are sensitive. I added my positive experience and I love 911's, have owned them for 29 years now, but it aint all unicorns and rainbows. Seriously, you guys need thicker skins and need to lighten up a little. No one took a shot at you or questioned your judgement.

I'm a Boeing engineer for crying out loud, trust me that we know painfully well about high profile engineering screw ups.
LOL. I definitely would not want to be a Boeing engineer right now.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:25 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

A Toyota consultant never would have put a sealed IMS bearing in a Yugo. Toyota just happens to make the most reliable cars on earth. I'm very happy with the Toyota 6 sp. in my 997.2.
Old 12-03-2019 | 10:25 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Ignition switch is still in the dash. Read where the key switch was designed originally to be located on the left side of the dash so the right hand was free to engage the shifter making for a quicker start on race day. And works equally well for the DD to work
Old 12-04-2019 | 12:26 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Mine still move 😂
closing the middle works for me but I just put cans in it. I will also put coffee cups in there but only the smaller sized ones. No spills yet ::knock on wood::
I just like that someone thought that out, including the middle part closing and all that. It reminds me of the stuff my neighbor's 928 had back in ye olden days.

Quick Reply: Let's Celebrate 997 Engineering