Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frunk temps with 3rd Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2019 | 02:01 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Default Frunk temps with 3rd Radiator?

For those of you with 3rd radiator installed, especially those who installed one yourself (vs. factory installed), did you notice a significant increase in the temperature of your frunk after you've run your car for a while? I'm debating adding the 3rd radiator to my 997.1 C2S, but I do use the frunk quite a bit and don't want to turn it into a convection oven if I can avoid it. I wasn't sure if Porsche installed more insulation between the 3rd radiator and the frunk on cars that had them installed at the factory, and/or installed different duct work (like the "smiley" vent on the GT3's) to let the hot air escape better from the area behind the 3rd radiator.
Old 12-01-2019 | 01:28 PM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

I didnt notice any significant temp changes in the trunk.
Old 12-01-2019 | 02:21 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

The GT3 3rd radiator vents up to the bumper vent. The Carrera 3rd radiator vents down, so if the air moves over the radiator and it is then vented downwards, it is likely the air would travel over the frunk area and down the middle of the under chassis. This would theoretically raise temps in the frunk and people with the 3rd radiator have mentioned they experienced this elsewhere on this forum. An alternative to the 3rd radiator would be to upgrade the stock radiators, hoses, and other lines to something like CSF or whoever has options with better than OEM cooling since the 3rd radiator also only does anything while the car is in motion from my understanding.

BTW, the frunk runs hot regardless. I made the mistake of leaving warm water surf wax in there in it's packaging (luckily in a bin) in SoCal winter. It liquified just driving 20 miles to the beach in LA traffic (so an hour). That is just with a stock C2S in mild temps.
Old 12-01-2019 | 02:27 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

IN the my GT3 the lid get's hot. In my C2s which has a 3rd Radiator venting out the bottom I've never noticed anything different.
I guess it comes down to why you feel you need the 3rd radiator and if that need is worth some minor if at all increase in trunk temp.
For me, well worth it.
Old 12-02-2019 | 10:55 AM
G.I.G.
Pro

Thanks for the responses.

I know the "why" regarding the 3rd radiator has been discussed at length in other threads, I'm just trying to balance the pros (decreased operating temp during canyon runs, in stop-and-go traffic, engine longevity, etc.) and possible cons (cost, increased frunk temps) to balance out all of the data points to decide if it's something I'm going to pursue. I know the frunk can get warm even without the 3rd radiator, I just wanted to hear from some of you who have one installed.
Old 12-02-2019 | 11:54 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

It won't help much with stop and go traffic since it needs air moving through it to be effective but on track or even on high RPM canyon runs it makes a nice difference.
Old 12-02-2019 | 12:40 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I noticed a significant increase of temperature in the frunk, after using it last summer by temperatures higher than 95-100 degrees. The trip was about 3 hours long....
It came to a point where the CD changer and GPS were no longer working on my 2006 C4S, due to temperature.
I am glad I did not have some French cheeses in the frunk....they would have been toasted.
The rest of the year, it is fine.

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 12-02-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2019 | 01:58 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Zero change here. Grocery’s still feel the same.
2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

Old 12-02-2019 | 05:10 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I read somewhere that with air conditioning on there is a cool air flow into the frunk. I haven't worried about it enough to search or measure but I'm getting curious.
Old 12-02-2019 | 05:52 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
It won't help much with stop and go traffic since it needs air moving through it to be effective but on track or even on high RPM canyon runs it makes a nice difference.
Good point. However, I was thinking that the increased coolant volume coupled with the surface area of a 3rd radiator could still provide some benefits even with little air flow at slow speeds. My 911 isn’t my daily driver, so thankfully I can usually avoid traffic with it.

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
I noticed a significant increase of temperature in the frunk, after using it last summer by temperatures higher than 95-100 degrees. The trip was about 3 hours long....
It came to a point where the CD changer and GPS were no longer working on my 2006 C4S, due to temperature.
I am glad I did not have some French cheeses in the frunk....they would have been toasted.
The rest of the year, it is fine.

Yves
I’ve heard about this, and it’s worth consideration. I don’t have the disk changer, and I never use navigation. I’ll occasionally use the map just so I have the visual reference in front of me when I need it. I just wouldn’t want to cause any permanent damage to the nav unit.

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I read somewhere that with air conditioning on there is a cool air flow into the frunk. I haven't worried about it enough to search or measure but I'm getting curious.
I read on my build sheet somewhere (I have the original window sticker) that I have frunk cooling. I wasn’t sure if that was an option, or if all of our cars had it. It’s good to know I’d at least have a little frunk cooling when I’m running my AC.
Old 12-02-2019 | 08:06 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Default Temps

I read on my build sheet somewhere (I have the original window sticker) that I have frunk cooling. I wasn’t sure if that was an option, or if all of our cars had it. It’s good to know I’d at least have a little frunk cooling when I’m running my AC.[/QUOTE]

GIG - does you build sheet/paperwork list a code for that frunk cooling?
Old 12-02-2019 | 08:45 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
GIG - does you build sheet/paperwork list a code for that frunk cooling?
I just checked VIN Analytics and it wasn't there. I'm on a work trip, but I'll check again when I get home. I can't remember if I read that on my build sheet/window sticker, the owner's manual, or somewhere else. Now I'm curious if it is a standard feature or an option.

Quick Reply: Frunk temps with 3rd Radiator?