Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How F@&*ed am I? Catastrophic oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats on the best outcome, very happy for you man, lets continue the good vibes for the 997 owners!

cheers
Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2019, 03:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Most of my comments are ignored because I’m so positive, but a lot of these “catastrophic” posts turn out to be nothing at all. Some owners really are experiencing problems, like bore scoring, and I get that. But there are so many posts on this forum with scary titles that turn out to be nothing major at all.

Really glad things worked out well for the OP and I’m still laughing at the first response that told the OP his entire engine was destroyed 😂
I don't think you should take it that way. Most people don't spend time discussing things that don't seem to be problematic. You have a positive attitude which equals no problem so nothing to discuss to many. Bring in some drama with very expensive possibilities on the other hand and you'll typically have a whole different discussion.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:53 AM
smilton
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been following this with fingers crossed for OP. So glad it worked out for as best as it could.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:42 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by quiverkiller
Just heard back from my shop. As many of you predicted it appears to just be a cracked oil pan. They also pulled the filter and said it looks fine. They'll take a close look at everything once they open it up (before replacing the pan, oil and restarting) but sounded pretty confident there is no other damage. What a relief! Thanks everyone!!
Whew. Nail bitter. Stevinson Porsche found a cracked and leaking oil drain plug during my last service. Now I'm thinking it's probably from something similar. Need to be more careful this winter. What Denver area shop did you use?
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hula
Whew. Nail bitter. Stevinson Porsche found a cracked and leaking oil drain plug during my last service. Now I'm thinking it's probably from something similar. Need to be more careful this winter. What Denver area shop did you use?
Berg Performance. Brent is their Porsche guy. I highly recommend them.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:23 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Glad this turned out to be a happy ending .... Just get a beater for the winter or a Cayenne or both like me ....I know our cars can be driven in the winter but in all honestly they are simply too low for real world potholes and crappy roads . The underneath of my car is as nice as the paint !!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Glad this turned out to be a happy ending .... Just get a beater for the winter or a Cayenne or both like me ....I know our cars can be driven in the winter but in all honestly they are simply too low for real world potholes and crappy roads . The underneath of my car is as nice as the paint !!
Respectfully disagree. To be a hero you've got to live like a hero.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:45 PM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Originally Posted by Hula
Respectfully disagree. To be a hero you've got to live like a hero.
Right on! I actually came from an Audi B8 S4 that was lower than my lowered 911 and was enjoying not hitting all the crud that I used to in the S4.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:04 AM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

So happy this turned out well OP!
Old 12-07-2019, 11:13 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Sure would be nice if this site had a way to downvote comments. Not sure what the point of posting something like this is other than to make the OP feel even worse.

Echo the thoughts of others, don't panic and find out why it lost the oil. Provided the duration without pressure was short and not abusive, there's a good chance no significant damage was done. Like prariedawg said I also ran an engine (Jeep Cherokee) with only 2 of 5 quarts for a while when I was young and pretty stupid. Thought it was odd that every time I went around a corner the idiot light went on. When I changed the oil I was shocked how little came out. I put at least 20k miles on it after that without any problems. Hopefully it's something simple like the oil filter canister coming loose. Good luck!
It's called Schadenfreude. Some people derive delight in the misfortune of others.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by quiverkiller
Just heard back from my shop. As many of you predicted it appears to just be a cracked oil pan. They also pulled the filter and said it looks fine. They'll take a close look at everything once they open it up (before replacing the pan, oil and restarting) but sounded pretty confident there is no other damage. What a relief! Thanks everyone!!
Great news. Paradoxically enough it's the small oil leaks which many times are the more expensive to repair. When I looked at the picture you posted, the oil pan was the most likely cause, especially given how the car was driven. In the ole days before rev limiters, blown engine weren't that uncommon, and that's the only time I saw that volume of oil on the ground.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:58 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Well crap , must be Karma. After participating in this tread the same thing happened to me today. Slowly going over big speed bump. Bottomed out in my 2011 TTS. Punched hole in oil pan. Not sure if I can replace myself, but part now on order for $650, plus $21 for gasket...

Old 12-14-2019, 07:16 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Well crap , must be Karma. After participating in this tread the same thing happened to me today. Slowly going over big speed bump. Bottomed out in my 2011 TTS. Punched hole in oil pan. Not sure if I can replace myself, but part now on order for $650, plus $21 for gasket...

...plus a fresh oil/filter change that will make the car less upset with you. Some of those ridgelines called ‘speed breakers’ should be called pan breakers. Maybe put a skid plate on too? If you do put a protection plate up, leave it off for a few days to check the new sump plate seal for leaks.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:34 AM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a skid plate arriving on Monday to prevent this sort of thing.

Quick Reply: How F@&*ed am I? Catastrophic oil leak