Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How F@&*ed am I? Catastrophic oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019 | 02:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Let's hope that's the case. All kinds of junk on the road, much of it falling off of contractor's pickup trucks that sometimes leave the tailgate hanging. Had something similar happen a few months ago. Hit something made out of metal. Could hear the bounce. I was lucky though and just ended up with a flat tire. Warning came on no more than 5 seconds after the hit. Had just left my house and managed to limp back home. Had 17 PSI left in the tire when I parked it. My tire guy said I definitely hit something metal. "Almost looks like someone took an ax to the tire" were his words.

He also told me this is why most flat tires from road debris happens to the rears. One of the front wheels hits it at just the right/wrong angle which sends it tumbling towards the rear of the car. Sometimes it passes between the rear wheels and it's a non event. If you're unlucky one of the rear tires gets punctured or worse yet, something engine related. Hope that's the case here. By that I don't hope for damage to the OP's engine but that the oil loss is due to an external event rather than internal.
In 07ish, I went over some railroad tracks in my 996tt cab and a rail road spike got thrown up by my front tire. It damage the lower rocker panel trim piece and literally got lodged into my tire, an entire railroad spike.
Old 12-01-2019 | 02:38 AM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

I'm with the others. You probably cracked the case and oil started leaking on the drive to the gym. Since the car is scavenging all the time and has runs up front and back for cooling, there was plenty of oil to get you to the gym with no issue. While in the gym, the car had lots of time to leak the rest of the oil out and so when you started it, there was no oil left for pressure and got the CEL. I seriously doubt you did any damage. The existing oil film would have been protection enough. The only part of the engine that would take damage in this scenario are the rod bearings which are replaceable. Granted not exactly cheap, but a few thousand instead of tens of thousands. That said, I bet you replace the pan, fill it with oil and drive it until the next maintenance with no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Honda (12-15-2019)
Old 12-01-2019 | 04:04 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BucketList
I'm with the others. You probably cracked the case and oil started leaking on the drive to the gym. Since the car is scavenging all the time and has runs up front and back for cooling, there was plenty of oil to get you to the gym with no issue. While in the gym, the car had lots of time to leak the rest of the oil out and so when you started it, there was no oil left for pressure and got the CEL. I seriously doubt you did any damage. The existing oil film would have been protection enough. The only part of the engine that would take damage in this scenario are the rod bearings which are replaceable. Granted not exactly cheap, but a few thousand instead of tens of thousands. That said, I bet you replace the pan, fill it with oil and drive it until the next maintenance with no issues.
This!!!
Old 12-01-2019 | 06:29 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Ouch! Bums us out to see another 997 member down. Hoping for the best outcome for ya! Keep us posted.
Old 12-01-2019 | 06:59 AM
lisnter
Intermediate

My wife's Volvo had a similar experience. Road construction left a giant seam in the road that she drove over putting a crack in the oil pan. She drove home (~10 miles) and didn't notice anything but in the morning there was a river of oil under the car. We had the pan replaced and put another 60k miles on that car. I think the crack sealed itself with the heat of operation but over night cooled opening the crack and let all the oil out.

When we went back to the scene of the crime there was someone else who had exactly the same damage. Apparently you can make a claim against the city if something like this occurs but I didn't follow through so can't say if it's true or not.
Old 12-01-2019 | 01:08 PM
kmetros
Track Day

Without any oil pressure the car will sound horrible and run like ****, but that doesn’t mean it’s toast. I don’t care how bad it sounded, you didn’t run it for long. You may be surprised at just how ok you are. Keep a positive attitude until you know what what’s up for sure. 👍
Old 12-01-2019 | 02:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lisnter
My wife's Volvo had a similar experience. Road construction left a giant seam in the road that she drove over putting a crack in the oil pan. She drove home (~10 miles) and didn't notice anything but in the morning there was a river of oil under the car. We had the pan replaced and put another 60k miles on that car. I think the crack sealed itself with the heat of operation but over night cooled opening the crack and let all the oil out.

When we went back to the scene of the crime there was someone else who had exactly the same damage. Apparently you can make a claim against the city if something like this occurs but I didn't follow through so can't say if it's true or not.
Yes, you can claim damages caused by roads in most municipalities. But, it's a time consuming process and is extremely difficult to prove. I've tried twice and was denied both times. In the first case, the damage was about $1000, in the second, the damage was so bad I just sold the car for scrap.

As for engine damage caused by loss of oil, I know that hydraulic lifters can make a lot of noise if they lose oil, but if you turn it off right away when you here the noise there usually isn't any damage.
Old 12-01-2019 | 06:13 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Any reason this couldn't be filed with your insurance company under Comprehensive and let them chase the municipality for reimbursement.

for my 2009 S, If it is just the lower pan, probably a $1000 job. If it is upper and lower pan, then guessing $1800-2000. Not sure of you car's oil pan configuration.
Old 12-01-2019 | 06:29 PM
user 729082021
Banned

Thanks everyone for the good vibes. I went back to where I thought I bottomed out and found this monster. There was a new dusting of snow in the AM when I hit it so probably why I didn't see it at the time (it was also hard to see in my wife's SUV where you sit a lot higher than in the 911).

Already filed a claim with my insurance. I doubt going the city route for reimbursement is very viable, especially since it's not technically a pothole and all the evidence will be gone once we get a couple days of warmer weather.

Will update once I hear from my shop, thanks again.

Old 12-01-2019 | 06:43 PM
LexVan
Banned

Yeah. Looks wide enough that both wheels could have dipped in, and put a whack on your oil pan. Even one side would be enough.

New oil pan. Fresh oil. And you're good to go.

Probably a collision claim vs a comprehensive claim.
Old 12-01-2019 | 06:47 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by quiverkiller
Thanks everyone for the good vibes. I went back to where I thought I bottomed out and found this monster. There was a new dusting of snow in the AM when I hit it so probably why I didn't see it at the time (it was also hard to see in my wife's SUV where you sit a lot higher than in the 911).

Already filed a claim with my insurance. I doubt going the city route for reimbursement is very viable, especially since it's not technically a pothole and all the evidence will be gone once we get a couple days of warmer weather.

Will update once I hear from my shop, thanks again.

Born and raised in Southern California and despite the fact the region is going to hell in a hand basket at least we don't have to deal with giant frozen snow potholes. (I never knew there was such a thing.) We have plenty of the regular kind of potholes though. Hang in there buddy!
Old 12-01-2019 | 06:52 PM
AG GTS
Rennlist Member

I hit a pothole in Phoenix, it punched the sidewall of the tire and caused a bubble. Filed a claim with the city and they sent me a check foe the cost of a new tire. There was actually a website to make a claim. It is worth a try.
Old 12-01-2019 | 08:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

WOW !! I've never seen a "snow pothole" !! Good thing you took a picture of it before the snow melts, here in Alabama the snow gets gone very quickly....
Old 12-01-2019 | 09:13 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

In South Milwaukee, they use the to snow to fill in the potholes. It's the only time of the year they have smooth roads to drive on.
The following 3 users liked this post by Balr14:
FlatHat (12-02-2019), Honda (12-15-2019), yvesvidal (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019 | 02:32 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Sorry to see this, and hope it isn’t too costly a fix. In regards to this, would an oil pan shield have protected from this? I see that Suncoast sells them, and am considering getting one now after seeing this.

Quick Reply: How F@&*ed am I? Catastrophic oil leak