Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 PDK Fluid Change Cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 02:26 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Recommendation I received from my indy for PDK service was to drop it off the night before and they would have it done the next day as they need the fluid to be cool before working on it. Also paid the same price in N. Scottsdale.

The following users liked this post:
chris.lorine (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 01:20 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Recommendation I received from my indy for PDK service was to drop it off the night before and they would have it done the next day as they need the fluid to be cool before working on it. Also paid the same price in N. Scottsdale.
It's more complicated than that. Not cool, as it needs to be within a specific temp range.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:48 PM
Jose Placenta
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.lorine
In 2015 I bought a used 997.2 with very low miles (12,400) that had been kept in a garage in Florida and only driven a few months a year. See

Ceramic Coat March 2019

Ceramic Coat March 2019
picture inset I live in Scottsdale, AZ and had just totaled my 2009 997.2 manual with only 30K miles on it. Totaled the car and missed the coyote. If ever faced with the choice again, the coyote is toast. But I digress.

The 2011 997.2 I purchased was in perfect condition. I mean showroom condition with only 12,400. I changed all the normal fluids and filters and got new tires and have been enjoying the car ever since. I had a PCA recommended Indy mechanic go over the car and have tracked it four times at PCA events here in Arizona. I love this car and take good care of it. I ceramic coated it back in the spring and am thrilled with the results. I will write about that another time. All this time, my mind kept wondering when I should change the PDK fluids. I have 28,700 miles on the car now (I just don't drive many miles), it is my daily driver. As mentioned earlier, I have tracked it four times which included 4-5, 20 minute runs each day on a 16 turn track going as fast as my ***** would let me.

I change my oil every six months which is way before the mileage requires because I just don't drive that much. I replace the air filters and do other simple maintenance myself because I'm cheap. I have been reading about the PDK fluid change process and how difficult or expensive it could be and just kept putting it off. Well, I finally decided to bite the bullet. I called the local Porsche dealer and the Indy mechanic that I trust who is an awesome Porsche guy, and I got a price. I scheduled the work and dropped it off.

I am happy to say that all is well and the car shifts as smooth and as fast as I could ever wish. Important Note - Both the dealer and the Indy Mechanic told me that there are two different fluids that get changed in a PDK system. The PDK fluid should be changed ever 6 years or 60K miles. I have exceeded the time but came nowhere near the mileage. The other fluid is the GEAR fluid which should be changed at 120K miles and is more difficult to get at therefore the cost for that change will be more because it requires the PDK and the Gear fluids plus labor. Again, this was just the PDK fluid change that was done on my car.

Here are the details of the costs and the issues that the Indy mechanic had while changing my oil:
Porsche Dealer cost estimate $550-650 plus taxes (all prices USD)
Indy Mechanic (I will happily name his shop if you IM me) $545 plus tax
My car is a 2011 997.2 Carrera S with 28700 miles

I dropped the car off at 8 AM and received a call at 4 PM that they would have to keep it overnight. Apparently the process to change the oil is very involved. They had to take measurements at 10 degrees C and at 30 degrees C several times during the process. Living in Scottsdale has an issue in that in November it really doesn't get that cold (10 C = 50 F) so the fluids don't cool down that fast and not to the desired temps. Porsche has very specific instructions as to how this fluid change should occur. There must be some equipment that the dealers have to enable them to do this temperature change and measurement process. Anyway, The Indy provided me with a picture of the PDK fluids before and the new fluid that went in. I thought you would like to see it and hear about it since I could not find anything like this on the boards. You will see from the pictures that even though I had half the miles than the mileage requirement, the fluid looked pretty crappy compared to the new fluid. I attribute this (and I am just guessing) to temperature and friction from track days as well as degradation from time. I am at over 8 years from manufacture.

I will tell you that the car shifted very nicely before and is even smoother now. Don't put it off, the clock is ticking and it isn't that bad a cost.

CORRECTION: I spoke to my Indy shop owner after all the questions were raised about the massive color change. I provided you with INCORRECT info. This picture is Diff fluid NOT PDK. I was initially misinformed and wanted to correct this ASAP. Thank you for your understanding, mistakes happen and owning up to them quickly and completely is critical to good information flow.

New PDK trans fluid on left, Old Yuck sludge on the right.
This is a picture of my PDK transmission fluid on a 997.2 Carrera S with 58K miles just complete yesterday. Mine looks clean even after 10 years and this was the first time it has been serviced. That picture you posted was probably not from your car your, but someone else's.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:59 AM
chris.lorine
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Post in RED ink corrected the incorrect info from photo

Originally Posted by Jose Placenta
This is a picture of my PDK transmission fluid on a 997.2 Carrera S with 58K miles just complete yesterday. Mine looks clean even after 10 years and this was the first time it has been serviced. That picture you posted was probably not from your car your, but someone else's.
please take a look at the red ink in the post. I corrected the info I was originally given and ensured that the post was updated.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:38 AM
lexhair
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwksnke
I'm assuming at that price your pan/filter was not replaced since the service kit that includes the filter and fluid is $500.
Like others, my pdk service was done this year at 60k miles with no change in performance and very little color difference.
If the filter wasn't changed as I suspect, I would make damn sure it was the next time you service the pdk based off the color of your fluid
This is worth quoting. The filter is integral to the pan. The 12 year/120k mile service recommendation is to replace the filter which generally means replacing the entire pan assembly. Some posters have mentioned that their mechanic was able to replace the filter and reinstall the existing pan. For me, I will be replacing the pan with the service next year.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:51 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
This is worth quoting. The filter is integral to the pan. The 12 year/120k mile service recommendation is to replace the filter which generally means replacing the entire pan assembly. Some posters have mentioned that their mechanic was able to replace the filter and reinstall the existing pan. For me, I will be replacing the pan with the service next year.
My experience with researching this topic revealed a significant amount of misinformation and bad information that is prevalent on the web, in forums and with my local independent shop. I did come across the following thread which helped me. (Specifically Post # 26, items #1 and #2 - by forum member Wayne Smith.)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-change-2.html

Concise summary of my PDK maintenance experience ('09 C2S - 28k miles):
  • PDK Clutch Fluid Change - Past due based on time not on miles (had not previously been done): Local independent shop indicated they would have to replace the pan and fluid. Estimate was for $891.17 (Parts $653.93 / Labor $198 / Tax $39.24). I had read online that early '09's had drain pan plugs that were (for whatever reason) easily stripped when reinstalled - so replacement of the entire pan was necessary for them. (Hence the price from the local independent.) I had read online in numerous instances that the filter (which is integral with the pan) was as-new; no debris visible and could easily be reused.) Once the pan is removed however, I read that it cannot be reused. Spoke with the local Porsche dealership (shop foreman with 20+ years / Meister Guild Gold Level Technician). Information he conveyed was that the pan would likely not need to be replaced. My decision then was to go with the Porsche dealership for the service for two reasons - 1) If my PDK ended up going bad at some future point, I would rather work with the Porsche dealership and not have any questions about proper maintenance having been done, and 2) They had more confidence about the procedure. (Not to mention, their price was significantly less - $574.63 total.) They performed the work. Pan was not replaced. No problems / no issues. Car runs perfectly.
The 12 year / 120k mile PDK maintenance would normally consist of two services - another PDK clutch fluid replacement, and PDK gear oil replacement. At that time, it may make good sense to replace the pan.

In my situation however, the 12 year / 120k service will consist only of a PDK gear oil replacement (since I just did the PDK clutch fluid replacement.) Replacing the gear oil (which is in a separate part of the transmission - isolated from the clutches and has no filter) will not require the replacement of any pan (there's not one for that portion of the transmission.)

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
NevilleNobody (01-23-2023), Sajan (03-03-2022)
Old 12-04-2020, 01:08 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by Ironman88
My experience with researching this topic revealed a significant amount of misinformation and bad information that is prevalent on the web, in forums and with my local independent shop. I did come across the following thread which helped me. (Specifically Post # 26, items #1 and #2 - by forum member Wayne Smith.)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-change-2.html

Concise summary of my PDK maintenance experience ('09 C2S - 28k miles):
  • PDK Clutch Fluid Change - Past due based on time not on miles (had not previously been done): Local independent shop indicated they would have to replace the pan and fluid. Estimate was for $891.17 (Parts $653.93 / Labor $198 / Tax $39.24). I had read online that early '09's had drain pan plugs that were (for whatever reason) easily stripped when reinstalled - so replacement of the entire pan was necessary for them. (Hence the price from the local independent.) I had read online in numerous instances that the filter (which is integral with the pan) was as-new; no debris visible and could easily be reused.) Once the pan is removed however, I read that it cannot be reused. Spoke with the local Porsche dealership (shop foreman with 20+ years / Meister Guild Gold Level Technician). Information he conveyed was that the pan would likely not need to be replaced. My decision then was to go with the Porsche dealership for the service for two reasons - 1) If my PDK ended up going bad at some future point, I would rather work with the Porsche dealership and not have any questions about proper maintenance having been done, and 2) They had more confidence about the procedure. (Not to mention, their price was significantly less - $574.63 total.) They performed the work. Pan was not replaced. No problems / no issues. Car runs perfectly.
The 12 year / 120k mile PDK maintenance would normally consist of two services - another PDK clutch fluid replacement, and PDK gear oil replacement. At that time, it may make good sense to replace the pan.

In my situation however, the 12 year / 120k service will consist only of a PDK gear oil replacement (since I just did the PDK clutch fluid replacement.) Replacing the gear oil (which is in a separate part of the transmission - isolated from the clutches and has no filter) will not require the replacement of any pan (there's not one for that portion of the transmission.)
I agree. You have to remove the pan to inspect the filter. Doesn't make a lot of sense to put fresh gear oil through a potentially contaminated filter. Think I'm biting the bullet here and since my indy is ok with me providing parts, I'll source the pan and fasteners and give it to him. I also get to change the AWD controller oil. Yippee!
Old 12-04-2020, 01:42 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Sort of on topic but here's a recent episode of Hoovie's Garage involving a Mercedes DCT where the Car Wizard mixed up the two and put the clutch fluid in the gear case and visa versa. Seems to have had a happy ending as a Mercedes tech saw the original video where the work was done, noticed the screw up, and let Hoovie know right away. They got it back in the shop before too many miles were put on it.

Apparently this Mercedes DCT is also a supposed "sealed" unit that costs $30k to replace and can't be fixed. What a scam.

Shout out to Wayne Smith for the stuff highlighted by Ironman as I recently DIY'ed the fluid in all four drivetrain chambers (2 in PDK and 2 in front diff) and found Wayne's info very helpful.
Ironman88 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 02:53 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Just a couple comments ...

Whether you replaced the "one time use pan with filter" or not at 60K miles you still need to change the fluid at 120K miles.

I was not happy with the incompetence of the acclaimed dealer I had the 60K service at (long boring story, just too many screw ups) so after a couple of interviews I took mine to a local indie for the 120K.

After getting home from the indie I looked at the bill. I didn't see a line item for the oil. I went back the next day to pay the difference. They pointed out that the oil was included in a PDK service kit that was oil and pan. The cost of the entire kit was less than the dealer charged me for either the oil alone or the pan alone (at the 60K service I was given a 50% discount on the pan because they screwed up, but they marked it up 100% before marking it down 50%, yeah, dealers!!!).

Note: The indie changed the pan again at 120K because I failed to mention that it had been changed at 60K.

Although my filter was shiny clean at each service, the PDK kit seems to be a great way to insure the correct oil (that has had different part numbers over the years) is used ... And it's cheaper!!! I'll be doing that at the 180K service figuring I get the added bonus of seeing the status of the filter and I'm getting a bit more oil out.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:09 PM
crp6
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my PDK filter and pan along with the fluids changed out earlier this week, 2011 C4S. I was well under the milage (14,800) but over on time. All in including service was $642 at an independent.

Hope this info helps someone who is wondering approx. cost at an indy. I know when I was searching for information it was difficult to find. Even calling the Porsche dealership, they couldn't give me an exact quote for the service.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:52 PM
lexhair
Pro

I just had my 12 year service with all the fluids known to Dr. Ing. F.A. Porsche replaced as well as the PDK pan. My mechanic was telling me there's some thought about changing the PDK clutch oil replacement frequency to 30k miles / 3 years. He said in his experience all the other oils usually come out fairly pristine but the PDK clutch fluid can be really funky looking if you wait until 60k miles.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:12 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Lexhair, would you mind stating what the cost was? I face the same situation with my 997.2, thanks.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:53 PM
lexhair
Pro

Originally Posted by 997.2GTS
Lexhair, would you mind stating what the cost was? I face the same situation with my 997.2, thanks.
For the entire service or do you want me to try a parse bits of it out?
Old 02-25-2021, 02:14 PM
997.2GTS
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Not to push the friendship, but that would be very helpful if possible as I have a 6MT, but would need all fluids changed given the age of the vehicle - not mileage (2500). I know the PDK fluid change is fairly expensive...

I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:37 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by lexhair
I just had my 12 year service with all the fluids known to Dr. Ing. F.A. Porsche replaced as well as the PDK pan. My mechanic was telling me there's some thought about changing the PDK clutch oil replacement frequency to 30k miles / 3 years. He said in his experience all the other oils usually come out fairly pristine but the PDK clutch fluid can be really funky looking if you wait until 60k miles.
I'm a bit confused by the 30K suggestion. At 60K and 120K miles my oil (and filter) looked brand new, although I did not perform a UOA. Other reports I've seen state the same. And the 991 interval was upped to 120K. Is it possible something else is going on with yours?
Ironman88 (02-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK Fluid Change Cost