Sponsored by:

Fister Hack sound comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Fister Hack sound comparison

Just had Fister Hack done at my local Advanced Muffler in West Palm Beach.

Here is the before sound:

Here is the after sound:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:52 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

There is no Fister hack. It's a Gundo hack. Fister just does it in a really pretty way.

Give credit where credit is due. GUNDO is a member here and his modification.well documented in old threads.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

I disagree: A Fister connects the muffler inlet to the outlet. Gundo adds another opening in the muffler (PSE style) and connects that to the outlet.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:37 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

Old 11-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by mjposner
I disagree: A Fister connects the muffler inlet to the outlet. Gundo adds another opening in the muffler (PSE style) and connects that to the outlet.
You can disagree or you can be right. Those are your only two choices.

It's not like you can search this board for Gundo's original thread about his hack. Oh wait, you can.

Jeezus, I get tired of fixing this misinformation.
The following users liked this post:
BruceWarne (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM
D977
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 25 Posts

Here we go again..
Old 11-12-2019, 03:02 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Iceter... It is your destiny to pick up and carry the mantle now...

For the record... I have been schooled on the history of the gundo hack. Iceter knows all about it, so I will take his word for it
The following users liked this post:
Chris M. (11-12-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Apologizes if I am wrong on the terminology. I did not do extensive research on the history and naming convention of the hack. The shop knew what I wanted when I said Fister hack, a bridge pipe between the two pipes going in and out of the muffler. I did not want the other hack connecting a new port on the muffler to one pipe.

Exhaust mod - clarification of Gundo and Fister This is where I got my info.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Hmmm...…..a sound clip from the inside looking at the tach.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:18 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Gundo hack v Fister

Fister hack is when you pay $449 (starting price) to Fister for modified cans. Shipping is expensive too. The hack is identical to Gundo hack - connects inlet and outlet tubes on a standard 996/997 exhaust can.

Gundo hack is when you carefully instruct your local shop / expert to do the work - usually like $100

Resulting sound is identical. The same, and both just as awesome. And both about exactly the same as the overpriced Porsche Sport Exhaust.

Funny, and I don’t know when they started this , but it’s now called the “Fister Sport Exhaust”

AFAIK, the Gundo hack pre-dates the Fister. But who really knows or cares at this point. All I care about is having as many P-cars on the road sounding as good as possible.

I don’t come round these parts very often anymore, but we do occasionally host awesome PCar events at my pad in southeast CT

YMMV
Gundo
The following 2 users liked this post by Gundo:
415CPA (05-23-2020), rdad993 (04-17-2020)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Gundo
I don’t come round these parts very often anymore, but we do occasionally host awesome PCar events at my pad in southeast CT

YMMV
Gundo
And I’ll attest to the awesomeness of your gatherings and can’t wait for the next one!

Old 11-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Iceter... It is your destiny to pick up and carry the mantle now...

For the record... I have been schooled on the history of the gundo hack. Iceter knows all about it, so I will take his word for it
I don't know why I get so bent out of shape about it. I must have an over-developed sense of fairness and sometimes it gets the best of me. If Gundo cared about the credit, he'd be the one correcting people.

Fister has a nicely made product. But it's a Gundo hack done really well, nothing more.

I was piddling around the other day looking for Gundo's thread so I could have it handy to post whenever these threads pop up. While searching, I was amazed at how many websites go out of their way to incorrectly describe the hack and other mods.

It just goes to show how easily one website or post can be used as a reference and then that same bad information is picked up by others and propagated as definitive truth. It's scary, really, if you consider that it could happen with information that is actually important.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Gundo
Fister hack is when you pay $449 (starting price) to Fister for modified cans. Shipping is expensive too. The hack is identical to Gundo hack - connects inlet and outlet tubes on a standard 996/997 exhaust can.

Gundo hack is when you carefully instruct your local shop / expert to do the work - usually like $100

Resulting sound is identical. The same, and both just as awesome. And both about exactly the same as the overpriced Porsche Sport Exhaust.

Funny, and I don’t know when they started this , but it’s now called the “Fister Sport Exhaust”

AFAIK, the Gundo hack pre-dates the Fister. But who really knows or cares at this point. All I care about is having as many P-cars on the road sounding as good as possible.

YMMV
Gundo
Thanks for chiming in. I’d like to declare that tapping the PSE port and attaching a pipe from it to the outlet pipe be known as the Hanksville in reference to the way Hanksville Hotrods mods these mufflers. If someone has another theory on this mod we can argue about that too.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

"Hmmm...…..a sound clip from the inside looking at the tach" Because I did the mod for me, the driver, not or you, listening toi exhaust from my rear end....

If what I had done is a Gundo hack invented by Mr. Gundo then I salute him. Yes, Fister makes a clean swap. That said, if what I had done was a Gundo, was is the other hack called? Gundo 2, Electric Bugaloo?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mjposner
"Hmmm...…..a sound clip from the inside looking at the tach" Because I did the mod for me, the driver, not or you, listening toi exhaust from my rear end....

If what I had done is a Gundo hack invented by Mr. Gundo then I salute him. Yes, Fister makes a clean swap. That said, if what I had done was a Gundo, was is the other hack called? Gundo 2, Electric Bugaloo?
Post 13

Quick Reply: Fister Hack sound comparison