Sponsored by:

Fister Hack sound comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 10:39 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by mjposner
Apologizes if I am wrong on the terminology. I did not do extensive research on the history and naming convention of the hack. The shop knew what I wanted when I said Fister hack, a bridge pipe between the two pipes going in and out of the muffler. I did not want the other hack connecting a new port on the muffler to one pipe.

Exhaust mod - clarification of Gundo and Fister This is where I got my info.
Don't feel bad... I was in the same boat and your in good company... Lots of confusing photos and terminology out there. So, going out on a limb here.. hope I get it right... Gundo Invented / Fister Reimagined with some fancy welding and paint = same "H" pipe connector pre-muffler.

In the future I will just refer to the "PSE Hack" as the one that mimics Porsche PSE taps into the 3rd muffler chamber... "Hanksville" I thought combined both PSE and Gundo?

Originally Posted by mjposner
"If what I had done is a Gundo hack invented by Mr. Gundo then I salute him. Yes, Fister makes a clean swap. That said, if what I had done was a Gundo, was is the other hack called? Gundo 2, Electric Bugaloo?
Please... Let's not disrespect one of the finest films ever created.. "Electric Boogaloo" which will forever be memorialized in my gold box collectors edition that came with matching parachute pants, knee pads, headband, and workout gloves, and is on the top shelf of my VHS Tape collection. Long live Electric Boogaloo...
Old 11-13-2019, 03:15 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

So the PSE-style "hack" doesn't have it's own name? Why is this so confusing lol
Old 11-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
In the future I will just refer to the "PSE Hack" as the one that mimics Porsche PSE taps into the 3rd muffler chamber... "Hanksville" I thought combined both PSE and Gundo?
Ah yes, combining Hanksville and Gundo. Let this hereby be known as the Super Gundo. A rare bird indeed and I would think less effective than a Gundo alone.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:42 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Two photos from the original Gundo's thread:

Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

this one is still one of my favorites. I hear its highly recommended and sounds amazing. Kind of like a Kazoo. I will rename it the "Kazundo Hack"

The following users liked this post:
Chris M. (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
this one is still one of my favorites. I hear its highly recommended and sounds amazing. Kind of like a Kazoo. I will rename it the "Kazundo Hack"

I just thought that was a picture of the stock PSE.
The following users liked this post:
byroncheung (11-15-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 04:39 PM
nicogri
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi guys, a quick question around this fister gundo thing... Looking to do it and I wonder the material used for stock muffler and inlet outlet pipes ? Is it "standard" steel or stainless Steel ? Does it requires special tig welding ? Asking because I'll need to make few calls and it is important infirmation to choose the shop. Thanks 😉
Old 11-13-2019, 04:52 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

The Porsche cans are stainless. It is possible to do the hack in mild steel--and any decent muffler shop can weld mild and stainless--but it's better to do the hack with stainless pipe.

You do not need to tig weld stainless. All the TV shows have tig welders but it's a luxury that most of us can't afford. You are just fine welding stainless to stainless using stainless wire in a mig welder.

Stainless exhaust components are so ubiquitous nowadays that a decent shop can do stainless welding, too.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:15 PM
nicogri
Instructor

Originally Posted by Iceter
The Porsche cans are stainless. It is possible to do the hack in mild steel--and any decent muffler shop can weld mild and stainless--but it's better to do the hack with stainless pipe.

You do not need to tig weld stainless. All the TV shows have tig welders but it's a luxury that most of us can't afford. You are just fine welding stainless to stainless using stainless wire in a mig welder.

Stainless exhaust components are so ubiquitous nowadays that a decent shop can do stainless welding, too.
Thanks mate. Still wondering if I will do the piping pse or fister style as I would like to "valve" it and there is not much room between the inlet outlet to put a valve without doing a complex tubing as here :

So maybe if you want valving it is easier to pse it and then put a xpipe...
Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicogri
Thanks mate. Still wondering if I will do the piping pse or fister style as I would like to "valve" it and there is not much room between the inlet outlet to put a valve without doing a complex tubing as here :

So maybe if you want valving it is easier to pse it and then put a xpipe...
I had a PSE style pipe added with a valve and the difference between valve open and valve closed is so small it cannot be heard inside the car. (I also have a center muffler delete X pipe). It can be heard outside the car but just barely. My PSE pipe feeds back into the outlet pipe but a better way might be to have it dump out into open air like @qikqbn did. Here is a pic of mine.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:47 PM
nicogri
Instructor

I love qikqbn design but without propre pse exhaust tips. I am afraid the hot exhaust gas somehow hang under the engine bay and mess around ?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:19 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicogri
I love qikqbn design but without propre pse exhaust tips. I am afraid the hot exhaust gas somehow hang under the engine bay and mess around ?
Not at 100 mph!!

actually a concern of mine too, but what you can't tell in my photos of just the muffler laying on the ground is that when it is mounted in the car it does shoot the exhaust gas towards the back of the car. Granted at the ground, but still angled just enough to bounce out the back side of the bumper, so I never have a concern of stewing in my own exhaust gases or even experienced smelling any kind of exhaust fumes while sitting at a stop light for several minutes.

I have said this in other threads... The sound the PSE mod gives is not so much about volume as it is tone. Maybe 5-10% volume, but a much deeper tone that is hard to capture on video, but definitely heard and felt as a tone with more bass / bottom end sound. I really like it over the closed valve sound. I now leave my valves open 99% of the time.

It has been debated 1000xs whether PSE adds HP. Consensus is that it does not or else Porsche marketing would have said so.. BUT... I do like the idea of Dual pipe exits out of the muffler. Maybe it does add a little volume and maybe its gotta release some muffler back pressure too I think... either way I would try to get a listen in person of both setups before you decide what to do.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 PM
D977
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 27 Posts

I went with both. I guess you can call it the Gunhanksville.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by D977

Lol love it. Def need sound clips.

Cw
Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by D977

SUPERGUNDO

Quick Reply: Fister Hack sound comparison