Sponsored by:

Can I get some opinions on this 997.1 for sale? *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 PM
westlake10
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Can I get some opinions on this 997.1 for sale? *PICS*

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions regarding this car. It is an 06 with ~55k miles. My primary concerns are as follows:

1) The car has an unusual carfax report in terms of what types of services have been performed. At 2,700 miles, the valve cover gasket was replaced and the "engine was removed to complete repair". At 25,000 miles, the transmission was "removed and reinstalled" and the water pump replaced. The last owner purchased the car in 2015 and that is where the carfax report ends. No other history is listed.

2) I spoke with the current owner on the phone and he says that he has enjoyed the car a few times per year but really hasn't driven it much and is looking to sell it as a result. He sent me additional photos of the car including some engine shots and the engine looks like it has a crusty deposit around what I believe to be the intake manifold. Photos can be seen below. Any idea what this could be?

Obviously before moving forward on a purchase I'd be looking to get a PPI and some videos of the car, but first-glance opinions would be greatly appreciated. Couple pics and carfax attached.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:46 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

A bit curious that a guy that wants to sell his car would send pics of a less than well maintained car. But then again, maybe the flash in the pic makes things appear that the eye doesn't see well???

Personally, I give as much importance on the engine as I do to body and interior.

A proper PPI is a must with any 997
The following users liked this post:
TractControlOff (11-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 06:49 PM
westlake10
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steph1
A bit curious that a guy that wants to sell his car would send pics of a less than well maintained car. But then again, maybe the flash in the pic makes things appear that the eye doesn't see well???

Proper PPI is a must.
yeah the flash and sunlight can certainly highlight swirls and whatnot but from what I gather, the guy isn’t exactly a Porsche enthusiast so he might not be super motivated to take perfect photos. The interior looks super clean though and the price is great. As mentioned, I’d absolutely get a PPI prior to purchase.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by westlake10
yeah the flash and sunlight can certainly highlight swirls and whatnot but from what I gather, the guy isn’t exactly a Porsche enthusiast so he might not be super motivated to take perfect photos. The interior looks super clean though and the price is great. As mentioned, I’d absolutely get a PPI prior to purchase.
Well, you go rescue that 997 from that unworthy owner then😁.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,832 Likes on 2,863 Posts

Transmission probably removed to replace the rear main seal - Engine could have been removed for a number of reasons/repairs.
Looks like there are no recent services and clutch/water pump, thermostat, brakes/etc most likely need attention at some point sooner than later.
A decent price on this car would probably be in the very low $30's if PPI checks out.
Any recent service records at all??
Old 11-10-2019, 02:51 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd probably walk away from this one. There are plenty of black w/tan cars out there. Is there something about this one that makes it stand out to you?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

It looks like he lived near saltwater. I dont know the effect of that on a car outside corrosion.

The service history doesn't scare me because Porsche's break.

I would want to know fluids were changed regularly.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:20 AM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

None of those things would be a deal killer for me, as others said get a good PPI
Old 11-10-2019, 01:36 PM
westlake10
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I'm considering this one is the price (he's asking $35k whereas comparable 997.1 C2S newer than 05 seem to be asking closer to $40k). The paint situation definitely bothers me as does that strange buildup in the engine bay but I'll be seeking a PPI from a porsche shop before moving forward. I've seen a lot of reaaally nice 997s for close to $40k but mid 30s is really a sweet spot for me.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:39 PM
westlake10
Advanced

Here's a couple more photos for fun

Old 11-10-2019, 05:33 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 401 Likes on 281 Posts

The car appears to be fine just not maintained to our standards (would require a good detailing) The car fax only tells you so much ...Does the owner have service records to back up the Car fax ? Get a PPI for sure if you really like the car and tell the owner that if it passes the PPI you will pay for it and buy the car to and agreed price prior to the PPI ... if it does not pass the PPI and you cannot come to an agreement on the price of the car and any repairs required to pass the PPI that you will go splits on the PPI and you walk away from the purchase.

Make sure wherever you go for the PPI ... Ask what the PPI includes ! You want a bore scope for sure .

Do you have the options list for this car ? Any goodies ??
Old 11-10-2019, 05:48 PM
westlake10
Advanced

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
The car appears to be fine just not maintained to our standards (would require a good detailing) The car fax only tells you so much ...Does the owner have service records to back up the Car fax ? Get a PPI for sure if you really like the car and tell the owner that if it passes the PPI you will pay for it and buy the car to and agreed price prior to the PPI ... if it does not pass the PPI and you cannot come to an agreement on the price of the car and any repairs required to pass the PPI that you will go splits on the PPI and you walk away from the purchase.

Make sure wherever you go for the PPI ... Ask what the PPI includes ! You want a bore scope for sure .

Do you have the options list for this car ? Any goodies ??
Sure, here's the options list.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:39 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Even if the car is in otherwise fine condition, you have to consider the dreaded IMS. Save your money and get a well cared for 997.2. It will be a better investment in the long run and you'll sleep better at night.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:43 PM
westlake10
Advanced

Originally Posted by bheit1
Even if the car is in otherwise fine condition, you have to consider the dreaded IMS. Save your money and get a well cared for 997.2. It will be a better investment in the long run and you'll sleep better at night.
From what I understand, IMS isn’t anything to lose sleep over past early-mid ‘05. A 6MT good condition 997.2 is easily $15-20k more than this, but I’m open to being educated if I’ve been misinformed about the IMS on these.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:45 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Quick Reply: Can I get some opinions on this 997.1 for sale? *PICS*