Sponsored by:

GTS Accident...worse day ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:00 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by obobser
What was told to me; ...maybe two new quarter panels, new door skin, possibly two new bumpers to blend the metallic paint, all new clear bra and ceramic including hood and rear end to blend the paint, a new single center lock rear wheel, rear tire, and labor.

Hmmmmmmm...$16,000 seems cheap! I’ll add to the thread with pics and the process as it moves forward.

Agree 100% My GTS was rear ended a while ago and the only damage was to the rear bumper and the exhaust. That repair came to $16,000. Had it it just been replacement and paint of the rear bumper it would probably have been closer to $1,000. But as has been documented before, once they start to peel things back it's not unusual to find damage that's not visible with all body parts still on the car. In my case there was no frame or other structural damage found once the rear bumper was removed but somehow a panel inside the engine compartment had been scratched but no structural damage to it.

The owner of the body shop I used is an extreme perfectionist and told me that no car leaves his shop unless the repair is completely undetectable. So in his opinion, the only way to repair that scratch to undetectable standards was to remove the engine which required transport to another shop and then transport back to the body shop. Transport again to the other shop once the scratch was repaired, reinstall the engine and then back to the body shop again. So I think the cost of the repair depends a lot on the shop you're using. In my case, a less proud and less stringent shop owner could just have masked the area around the scratch and sprayed it. Or ignored it altogether. I'm sure nobody would have been the wiser. I had trouble seeing what he was referring to even as he pointed to it before it was repaired.

Here's another story along the same lines. Look at that rear bumper. The damage is barely visible at first glance and that repair ended up with frame replacement: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html

I think I see some damage to your right rear wheel and tire in addition to the body damage. What if anything that could have led to I have no idea but the possibility of rear drive train damage comes to mind as a possibility. Get the very best body shop with the best reputation in your area. Huge difference in how these shops assess and deal with issues discovered. If they're even skilled enough to discover what sometimes takes some detective work by someone who's not on his first rodeo.

Feel terrible for you but unless there's more underneath that mess you should be back on the road in a month or two with a car that looks no different than the one you bought initially. Diminished value? Different chapter for another day. I have been through two such claims and will be glad to share what I've learned when that time comes. As with picking the body shop, just as important to deal with diminished value the right way or you're almost certain to get less than what you're entitled to. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

So sorry to hear about this. This is the one thing that makes me not enjoy driving my 997 C2S as much as I could be: worrying about other people crashing into me.

Hope you can get every last cent of that diminished value.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:07 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Hope not but could it be a write off?
Worried about rear axle damage especially with the single lug.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
So fix it, and drive it with less stress than before, because now, since it has been hit once, you won't worry about that issue any more. While we like to think about future sale value, I always had the most fun simply enjoying these cars as my cars, not somebody else's someday. Keep us posted on the fix process.
Wow, very wise words right here^^^^^^ I really feel sorry for anyone buying a car and hardly drive it for futur sale value. As seen here, all it takes is someone else making a mistake (which you have zero control over what, where and when) and value goes bye bye.

You bought your dream car to drive it. I'm sure that you didn't buy that car to maintain it for the futur buyer.

Remember that for most of us, it all started with a dream.... Now live it!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Steph1:
PierW (11-21-2019), SFZ GT3 (02-21-2020)
Old 11-04-2019, 02:14 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"You bought your dream car to drive it. I'm sure that you didn't buy that car to maintain it for the future buyer.

Remember that for most of us, it all started with a dream.... Now live it!!!!"

Well said!
The following users liked this post:
obobser (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:22 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Hope not but could it be a write off?
Worried about rear axle damage especially with the single lug.
I am thinking about that too, $25K sounds about right for the panels and cosmetics; anything on the suspension would probably add $10K or so.. fingers crossed !
The following users liked this post:
obobser (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 PM
obobser
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 37 Posts

Off she goes...

She’s all tucked away. Left the body shop feeling good after speaking with the Porsche body guy. They are breaking her down this week and the at fault adjuster is swinging by later in the week.

Probably just the rear quarter getting cut, but I’ll get that info later.

She is in a covered warehouse with her own stall until they get started. They are saying early next year with a slight chance it’s ready just before Christmas....can you say Loss of Use?!?!
Old 11-04-2019, 08:35 PM
MarkG123
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I just had my car repaired at a certified Porsche Shop. It came back perfect but not cheap.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

The reason I mentioned rear axle is that I had a MB for awhile that got hit in the right rear wheel by a guy on a motorcycle. He wasn't injured too badly and the damage didn't appear that bad. But, I couldn't get a tire to run right on it - ever. It ate up two tires on that side in a flash and I decided to just sell it instead of tackling the axle job. That car had depreciated way too much to repair it.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 PM
mbatarga
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
If I recall, the calculation under the law is pretty crappy. Would probably still require a lawsuit to get anything of substance. Could be wrong.
The calculation that the insurance industry uses is based on the original law suit against State Farm which established the diminished value "standard" in the state of GA. That calculation will be used for the initial diminished value that the insurance company will offer. He won't have to accept it. He can reject it and if needed hire his own advisor to provide a different value.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:50 AM
obobser
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mbatarga
The calculation that the insurance industry uses is based on the original law suit against State Farm which established the diminished value "standard" in the state of GA. That calculation will be used for the initial diminished value that the insurance company will offer. He won't have to accept it. He can reject it and if needed hire his own advisor to provide a different value.
....just a rough guess, but if repairs get to $35,000 it’s going to be close to $60,000 claim after diminished value is calculated with Loss of Use and a few days Loss of Work added in. Crazy!!

Current 2011 GTS’s under 20,000 miles range from $75,000-$90,0000
Old 11-05-2019, 05:44 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Loss of work? best of luck but I don't see anything close to that and I think those costs would go into different buckets anyway. My bet is you'd be lucky to get $10k for diminished after a fight. The formula will likely spit out $3-4k.

Originally Posted by obobser
....just a rough guess, but if repairs get to $35,000 it’s going to be close to $60,000 claim after diminished value is calculated with Loss of Use and a few days Loss of Work added in. Crazy!!

Current 2011 GTS’s under 20,000 miles range from $75,000-$90,0000
Old 11-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Nightmare scenario. Sorry man.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Delete

Last edited by FORENN; 11-06-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 408 Posts

loss of use is not covered by insurance afaik. that is why you get a rental car. loss of work hahah.
you forgot dry cleaning and new underwear
I hope you get a good settlement.

Quick Reply: GTS Accident...worse day ever!!