Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine out service required... what else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 10:42 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Engine out service required... what else?

My 997 GTS has a coolant leak that requires an engine out service to fix (details in this thread). Has me thinking about what else should be addressed on a preventive basis while the engine it out. The issue is a plastic coolant pipe that runs to the water console. They will replace that failed part as well as the water pump. The indy shop I'm using is recommending a water pump with a metal impeller vs. the plastic impeller in the factory part.

For reference, car is 8 years old w/ ~37K miles. Serviced to factory spec on the age-based tables... i.e. getting it's 8 yr major service now too.
  • Should I replace the coolant expansion tank too?
  • Other weak or consumable components to address now while the engine is out?
  • Anything fun to add?
Just trying to be pragmatic here as most of the cost on this one will be labor to drop the engine... might as well do as much as makes sense. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMorey
The indy shop I'm using is recommending a water pump with a metal impeller vs. the plastic impeller in the factory part.
The only input i have for you is DO NOT use a water pump with a metal impeller. Common knowledge is it is better to ruin the plastic impeller on the pump than ruin the block/have metal chucks ingested into the engine if the pump fails. Surprised your indy isn't aware of this if he is an experienced Porsche mechanic.
The following users liked this post:
carguy999 (01-21-2024)
Old 11-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

Agreed, use the factory water pump, and not one with a metal impeller. You sure you even need an engine out for the repair? I mean, yeah, it needs to be lowered a little, but out? That shop reputable?

Last edited by Carreralicious; 11-02-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:34 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

@bmwfan328 ... your point makes alot of sense.. a plastic impeller would cause less damage if it breaks apart. I wonder why there are so many metal impeller options available in the aftermarket?

Also, I know neither you nor @boxtaboy are in the southeast, so you may not have a local perspective on Goldcrest https://goldcrestmotorsports.com/ and https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...sports-ga.html

They do seem like a reputable shop w/ great reviews in the local PCA community plus google, facebook, yelp, etc. That plus their racing experience, gave me the confidence to choose them. Still, this is my 1st experience with them and what started as a 8 yr/80K routine interval service + a coolant leak to check out... has turned into something much more significant. I hope I'm not missing something here...

Appreciate your comments...

Last edited by GTSence; 11-02-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: adding link
Old 11-02-2019, 11:47 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by CPMorey
@bmwfan328 ... your point makes alot of sense.. a plastic impeller would cause less damage if it breaks apart. I wonder why there are so many metal impeller options available in the aftermarket?

Also, I know neither you nor @boxtaboy are in the southeast, so you may not have a local perspective on Goldcrest https://goldcrestmotorsports.com/. They do seem like a reputable shop w/ great reviews in the local PCA community plus google, facebook, yelp, etc. That plus their racing experience, gave me the confidence to choose them. Still, this is my 1st experience with them and what started as a 8 yr/80K routine interval service + a coolant leak to check out... has turned into something much more significant. I hope I'm not missing something here...

Appreciate your comments...
Metal impellers are cheaper to make than composite ones in the short term. A composite impeller takes a mold to create and it can be expensive to make that mold.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:47 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 979 Posts

2009 C2S 146K miles

So, you have a 997.2. Why change the water pump? This pump is not a "known" weekpoint. Because it is a "good idea"? I disagree completely with replacement. The 997.1 has common water pump failures... the 997.2 does not and further, you have very low mileage. Also, the 997.2's water pump is a different design than the old.... it is not an issue any more and I would replace it with a factory part if I were to replace it.

Regarding what to do with the engine out.... I would investigate if your fuel injectors are the latest design or not. If they are not, then I would consider replacement but only... only... if you plan on keeping the car for say another 50K miles or more. If not, then you are wasting your money. Even then the value is not really understood fully.

I am surprised that the engine has to come out..... I would check with a dealer before I committed to that work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 11-02-2019 at 01:26 PM.
carguy999 (01-21-2024)
Old 11-03-2019, 01:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 146K miles

So, you have a 997.2. Why change the water pump? This pump is not a "known" weekpoint. Because it is a "good idea"? I disagree completely with replacement. The 997.1 has common water pump failures... the 997.2 does not and further, you have very low mileage. Also, the 997.2's water pump is a different design than the old.... it is not an issue any more and I would replace it with a factory part if I were to replace it.

Regarding what to do with the engine out.... I would investigate if your fuel injectors are the latest design or not. If they are not, then I would consider replacement but only... only... if you plan on keeping the car for say another 50K miles or more. If not, then you are wasting your money. Even then the value is not really understood fully.

I am surprised that the engine has to come out..... I would check with a dealer before I committed to that work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Seems to be hit and miss. The water pump on my -09 C4S gave in at just over 40,000 miles and trashed the serpentine belt along with it. Quiet a mess. I don't think these kind of failures on .2 cars are a common occurrence but I recall reading about some other than my own in the 40,000 to 60,000 mile range. At 63,000 on my GTS now so we'll see what happens. Not into replacing it before it fails since the last one came to $1,200, serpentine belt and all but covered by warranty. Have extended warranty now which obviously won't cover a preemptive replacement so I'll just ride it out.

The bummer about it failing though is that things can happen pretty quickly which was the case for me. Going down the road in good spirits, everything looking good to being done driving in less than a minute. I was lucky given where it happened but would hate to be in the center lane in bumper to bumper traffic having no choice but to shut down and then somehow get out of the way for all surrounding traffic. Imagine that scenario sitting on a bridge with nowhere to go.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:50 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Car is still in the shop and they are closed for the weekend, so no progress on any of my questions for them. I was thinking about the situation on the drive to the local cars & coffee this am. I'm really disappointed. With this issue plus a cooling fan failure about 2 years ago, the tally is probably pushing $4K in parts/labor on an 8 year old car w/ less than 40K miles and an owner that follows the factory recommended maintenance to the letter. People love to talk "German engineering", and while I do think Porsche is probably on the better side of the reliability spectrum when it comes to cars in this performance class... this is unacceptable. I've been thinking of buying another... an air cooled example... but this latest experience has me questioning that path. Why the hell would I want two of these?... sorry, Sunday morning rant over... :-)
Old 01-21-2024, 05:07 PM
icc426
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2009 C2S 146K miles

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I am curious to find out more about the fuel injector topic you mention about old vs new style? Where can I get more information about this. I was going to send out my injectors to get cleaned and tested. But if there is a reason to purchase new versions I would find a way to pay for them. Thanks
Old 01-21-2024, 09:10 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSence
Car is still in the shop and they are closed for the weekend, so no progress on any of my questions for them. I was thinking about the situation on the drive to the local cars & coffee this am. I'm really disappointed. With this issue plus a cooling fan failure about 2 years ago, the tally is probably pushing $4K in parts/labor on an 8 year old car w/ less than 40K miles and an owner that follows the factory recommended maintenance to the letter. People love to talk "German engineering", and while I do think Porsche is probably on the better side of the reliability spectrum when it comes to cars in this performance class... this is unacceptable. I've been thinking of buying another... an air cooled example... but this latest experience has me questioning that path. Why the hell would I want two of these?... sorry, Sunday morning rant over... :-)
4k service for a 15 year old performance car that was above six figures new is not much honestly. You said 8 year old car though so maybe I missed something.

Edit - oh my didn't realize this was such an old thread lol
Old 01-21-2024, 09:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icc426
I am curious to find out more about the fuel injector topic you mention about old vs new style? Where can I get more information about this. I was going to send out my injectors to get cleaned and tested. But if there is a reason to purchase new versions I would find a way to pay for them. Thanks
I think what I was referring to is the increased sequence number that may signify a modification to the original. But I really don't remember.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
carguy999 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:59 PM
carguy999
Pro

Hey Bruce side topic but how are the roads in and around Atlanta? I am sort of thinking of getting out of the Midwest in the next ten years and part of my criteria is quality of driving roads.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:17 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carguy999
Hey Bruce side topic but how are the roads in and around Atlanta? I am sort of thinking of getting out of the Midwest in the next ten years and part of my criteria is quality of driving roads.
The roads around Atlanta, compared to PA, are excellent. Clogged with traffic. But in general, the South has great roads compared to the north due to lack of frost heaves. The Atlanta area does not have a single straight road, everything curves and bends... it is very pleasant and fun to drive when there is low traffic.

Peace
carguy999 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 02:30 PM
carguy999
Pro

The roads around Atlanta, compared to PA, are excellent. Clogged with traffic. But in general, the South has great roads compared to the north due to lack of frost heaves. The Atlanta area does not have a single straight road, everything curves and bends... it is very pleasant and fun to drive when there is low traffic.

Peace
Love to hear it. Someday I'll live down in that region and own a Porsche specialty shop.

Quick Reply: Engine out service required... what else?