Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V2: What the heck is leaking from my 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019 | 06:28 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Default V2: What the heck is leaking from my 997?

Saw the other thread. Thought I'd start a new one in case this is some other issue. Here's the background. Car is a '11 GTS w/ around 38K miles and serviced by the book. I've not been driving it as much lately, and and took it for a spirited drive through the mountains this morning. Ran fine, though I did notice the oil temp was running a bit higher than normal... it was ~225... normally runs at ~210 even w/ spirited driving. Ambient temp wasn't bad... ~78 degrees. Parked it. Noticed the fluid later in the day... looks / smells like oil. I couldn't see any leaks top side, but see what looks like the source from below (see photos). Started the car and checked oil level... it was fine. Let it idle for about 10 minutes and there were no further leaks. Saw a mention of the timing chain tensioner in the other thread... possibly the same issue here? Thanks for looking... CP

Old 09-01-2019 | 09:30 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

looks like coolant. Could be from a cracked expansion tank, which is up above that, or from the connection at the water pump, or the pump itself. I had the same thing going on. run your finger through it, and smell it. That will help to identify what it is.
Old 09-01-2019 | 10:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linderpat
looks like coolant. Could be from a cracked expansion tank, which is up above that, or from the connection at the water pump, or the pump itself. I had the same thing going on. run your finger through it, and smell it. That will help to identify what it is.
+1

This diagnosis looks right and I think the fluid has, a pink hue, which would be Porsche coolant. Check your coolant level, which would also explain the higher oil temperature you saw.
Old 09-01-2019 | 01:09 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Coolant level looks fine... and damn it if I didn't already clean up the garage floor.

It sure looked, felt and smelled like oil to me... but I didn't think about the coolant being pink, so now I'm 2nd guessing.
Old 09-01-2019 | 01:39 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

If it leaked once it will leak again. Remember that coolant will be pink and tastes a little sweet. Not that I am suggesting tasting it as it is poisonous. That location is right where the expansion tank is located above and when it cracks it runs everywhere so it is almost impossible to track.
Old 09-01-2019 | 02:17 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Time to go for short ride to confirm.
Old 11-01-2019 | 06:14 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Was traveling during all of September/October, so I didn't get a chance to follow-up on this issue until now. I dropped the car at the shop this morning. It was time for the 8 year maintenance as well... it's at less than half the 80K mile mark, so I follow the calendar-based track.

• Good news... not oil... as others suspected, this is a coolant leak.
  • Bad news... there is a coolant pipe that runs to the water console... it is plastic, it is cracked, and the engine needs to be dropped to replace it. This is a $2500 job at the indy shop servicing the car... including replacing the water pump since it's a known weak point as well.

Updated photos below for future reference. I'll post a full update/review after the shop finishes the job. It's my first time using them. With this job plus the major service, I'll really get a chance to see how they do.

Last edited by GTSence; 11-01-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2019 | 11:17 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Get the other stuff done while it's in there:
  • coolant tank replace
  • AOS
  • Check oil cooler
  • rubber bits if hard or cracked

Quick Reply: V2: What the heck is leaking from my 997?