Sponsored by:

997.2 S or 4S

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Terry73
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 997.2 S or 4S

1st post… looking for advice on buying a 997.2. Can't decide between the S and the 4S manual. I wont be driving in snow as I live in FL. I like the looks of the wide body of the 4S but overriding considerations are driving experience and which car will hold better or increase in value over time. Also, how important is it to have the Sport Chrono pkg?
Old 10-29-2019, 02:26 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

occasional snow, or frequent rain driving = 4S

mainly dry road driving, or occasionally like to slide the rear end out = 2S
Old 10-29-2019, 03:04 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 766 Likes on 439 Posts

GTS is widebody with either AWD or RWD.

Try to find some pics. of the WB next to the NB 997 though. Maybe someone will post a pic. they have. The difference is not as significant as I thought, and I actually prefer the NB shape but that is just me.

I had 2 EVOs and a B8 Quattro Avant before my C2S, so I bought a 911 specifically as RWD. I had FWD before that on a few cars as well. My only RWD car other than my C2S was a 73 AMC Hornet, so I really wanted to see what a more modern RWD car would be like.

IDK if it is relevant or not but I also didn't want the extra weight of AWD for this specific car.
The following users liked this post:
anewman (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 297 Posts

Living in Florida you know it rains a lot. Are you an aggressive driver? If you feel you want the best traction in the rain then it's the 4S. If you are not an aggressive driver then the 2S is fine in the rain as well. As far as I know the roads in Florida are pretty flat and straight. So you are probably not going to feel a big difference in handling.

I live in sunny California. rains maybe 5-10 days a year. Yet I got the 4S because I wanted the wide body look. There are some added benefits to AWD even in the dry, but you have to be pushing 8-10/10ths to feel it in the dry. If the wide body is what you are after, then GTS or 4S are your only options. At the end of the day you want to be 100% happy with your purchase and feel content. If you find a good and clean example with nice options and lower mileage... don't cheap out. Pay the extra to have all the options you want and a little bit lower mileage. You will just enjoy the car more and have no regrets. If you do cheap out or settle for less, then you may have buyers remorse or always be questioning your decision.

I searched for like 6 months every day until I found "the one". It was actually stressing me out. When I found "the one" I knew it was what I was looking for, but a bit pricier than I had first budgeted. Still, I knew it was a good car and I did not want to lose it or pass up on it. I did that once before and it killed me when I lost the deal because I waffled on price too long and some one came in and purchased it before I could make up my mind. Kicked myself in the butt for weeks over that one. Yet in the end, although it took me a bit longer, I eventually found "the one" and glad I paid extra for it too because it had all the bells and whistles and much lower mileage than my previous choice.

Sport Chrono is a nice option and should come standard on most "S" models. The biggest difference is the throttle mapping with the Sport button ON. The more aggressive throttle input curve does make the car feel peppier over all, but 100% throttle is the same power output with or without Sport Chrono.

Don't get caught up in which one will be worth more in 5-10 years... Just get the one that ticks all your boxes and you feel you will be happiest with. 99% of cars are NOT an appreciating asset.
Vincent713 (11-02-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:05 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

For me it was the 4S, on paper the fender width might not seem like much but in person I think it's a pretty cool difference. Mine should be here tomorrow or Thursday actually. I'm in Florida also. I imagine the GTS will depreciate the least, then 4S, then the narrow S. The GTS are really low production numbers for manual coupes and fairly low for 4s manual coupes. I'd say were not far from the bottom of depreciation curve. Wether it'll still go down a bit or it's slightly going up, I can't imagine them getting too much cheaper for good one. The wide body always has a novelty aspect about it, it's been that way since "turbo look" came out. There was a really nice one a member posted in response to a recent WTB in the old marketplace. I think it was pewter82. It was a really nice car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ual-coupe.html
SpeedyD (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 766 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn

I searched for like 6 months every day until I found "the one". It was actually stressing me out. When I found "the one" I knew it was what I was looking for, but a bit pricier than I had first budgeted. Still, I knew it was a good car and I did not want to lose it or pass up on it. I did that once before and it killed me when I lost the deal because I waffled on price too long and some one came in and purchased it before I could make up my mind. Kicked myself in the butt for weeks over that one. Yet in the end, although it took me a bit longer, I eventually found "the one" and glad I paid extra for it too because it had all the bells and whistles and much lower mileage than my previous choice.

Don't get caught up in which one will be worth more in 5-10 years... Just get the one that ticks all your boxes and you feel you will be happiest with. 99% of cars are NOT an appreciating asset.
^^^^ relatable content!!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

4S = more expensive, far fewer manufactured, and will command a higher price when you resell it.

As a noob driver, I’m really thankful I have a 4S. It makes me a better driver and saves me from mistakes. It’s also really solid in the rain.

But you know where it’s real fun? Sport+ launch. Damn it puts the power down. It’s instantly at 90mph. Genuinely scares my passengers when I demo launch 😂
cts993 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Terry73
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
For me it was the 4S, on paper the fender width might not seem like much but in person I think it's a pretty cool difference. Mine should be here tomorrow or Thursday actually. I'm in Florida also. I imagine the GTS will depreciate the least, then 4S, then the narrow S. The GTS are really low production numbers for manual coupes and fairly low for 4s manual coupes. I'd say were not far from the bottom of depreciation curve. Wether it'll still go down a bit or it's slightly going up, I can't imagine them getting too much cheaper for good one. The wide body always has a novelty aspect about it, it's been that way since "turbo look" came out. There was a really nice one a member posted in response to a recent WTB in the old marketplace. I think it was pewter82. It was a really nice car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ual-coupe.html
Great comments. Thanks. I will take a look at it.

Any thoughts on color choice? I have noticed black seems to be the most common color but for me black is hard to keep looking clean and is not so good in the summer heat in FL. I prefer silver, grey or dark blue. Not sure I like the light interior colors though. Don't want to make a mistake in color choice from a resale perspective. I suspect black interior is the most desirable.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:45 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Do you want body or narrow body car. Both are a joy to drive. I like the look of the wide body and would opt for a wide body whether its a GTS 2 wheel drive, 4S or turbo.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

It's all about the drive for me. My first 911 could not be anything other than RWD. The fact of being able to get RWD + Widebody meant that the GTS was the only option. Though from a driving perspective I'd probably be happy with a Carrera S also. I simply don't want AWD in my 911. Not even rear biased AWD.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Get a 4S and convert to RWD for not much money. Widebody with RWD without the big GTS price. Change back to AWD when you sell it. I needed AWD for year round driving. I also needed the widebody. I'd have preferred GTS with AWD but all leather and 5 lug wheels also important, which would have made a GTS less of a GTS.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:00 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Get a 4S and convert to RWD for not much money.
Seems straight forward on a 997.1 C4S, you can even buy a kit - https://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

But the OP asked about a .2 C4S, which moved away from the viscous coupling on .1 cars to a electromagnetically controlled multi-plate clutch setup.

Have you come across a post/thread/article where someone has actually done that conversion on a .2 car?

It'd be very interesting to see.

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Seems straight forward on a 997.1 C4S, you can even buy a kit - https://rennkit.com/product-info/phenix-engineering/

But the OP asked about a .2 C4S, which moved away from the viscous coupling on .1 cars to a electromagnetically controlled multi-plate clutch setup.

Have you come across a post/thread/article where someone has actually done that conversion on a .2 car?

It'd be very interesting to see.

Thanks.

Karl.
I should have read the first post closer. I haven't heard of a .2 conversion.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

If you like the driving dynamics the 4S is more rare for sure and you get the cool red reflector that goes all the way across the back. Drive them both and decide.
Terry73 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Black does seem to be the most common. Besides the blue shades, black was my least desirable color. Too many swirl marks and the heat we have down here is too much. I was happy to get a white one. I don't think the lighter interior will really impact price too much. It will just shift the interest to a different crowd of buyers. Some people like tan leather. After deciding on a 4s, my only must have was a black interior. From my experience it just ages better.

Quick Reply: 997.2 S or 4S