Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 S or 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Sunjo
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

997.2 4S hands down. This is what I'll get even if It cost more.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (11-05-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 177 Posts

Yep. As evidenced by you, everyone follows the law

Seriously though, summer tires in cold wet weather are a recipe for disaster. I can see maybe gently getting a car home when you have little other choice but I wouldn’t make a habit out of it.

Originally Posted by Steph1
Winter tires are law where I live.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
As for the widebody aspect, you're talking not even 2 inches of difference on a car that's like 70 inches wide. If you can tell the difference without the badge, then I think that's great but otherwise, it's not like an RWB widebody where the looks are significant and allow you to run deep dish wheels or something like that. These cars all have big back ends anyway.

Now if you've got the money to spend on a GTS and can afford driving it and depreciating it, go for it.
I know those barely 2" don't sound like much but I can tell the difference between a NB and a WB from a good distance behind one. Appears it doesn't take much to visibly alter the shape of the rear end of a 911. That said though, what's visually apparent to some aren't to others. For example, my wife is an architect/artist and she sees things in buildings and paintings that I have no clue what she's talking about. On the flip side, she couldn't on her best day tell the difference between a 996 and a 997.

As for depreciation of GTS's, there was a recent post by someone in a different thread pointing to how well they're holding their value unless you put crazy miles on them.
Dartmouth (11-12-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:41 PM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 129 Posts

The beauty of the 911 is the understated lines. Less is more. Saddle bags of the 4S don't lend themselves to the basic design and look like they were an after thought.
That and few people need the extra weight and maintenance of AWD. Does Porsche put AWD on the GT3s, a serious race car, or is it just more stuff to sell to a gullible public? OK, perhaps it helps in drag racing. If that's your thing why are you driving a 911? As far as winter driving, why waste a work of art driving it through salt?
Old 11-11-2019, 05:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

its apparent without the badge, especially from the rear and the 3/4 front angle. wb looks alot better.

the side profile obviously you cant really tell between nb/wb.

Originally Posted by mujeriega
As for the widebody aspect, you're talking not even 2 inches of difference on a car that's like 70 inches wide. If you can tell the difference without the badge, then I think that's great but otherwise, it's not like an RWB widebody where the looks are significant and allow you to run deep dish wheels or something like that. These cars all have big back ends anyway.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:36 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by bheit1
The beauty of the 911 is the understated lines. Less is more. Saddle bags of the 4S don't lend themselves to the basic design and look like they were an after thought.
That and few people need the extra weight and maintenance of AWD. Does Porsche put AWD on the GT3s, a serious race car, or is it just more stuff to sell to a gullible public? OK, perhaps it helps in drag racing. If that's your thing why are you driving a 911? As far as winter driving, why waste a work of art driving it through salt?

GT3, GTE, GTLM, and GT4 all ban AWD. AWD offers an unfair advantage when racing against 2WD. You can thank cars like Audi Quattro's and Nissan Skyline GTR's of long ago for that kind of ruling in many racing classes. Plus, Rear wheel drive is more common amongst manufacturers, so the racing wants to homologate. Therefore the GT3 is only rear wheel drive in order to meet racing restrictions for it's class.

"GTE cars must meet certain specifications designed to keep them closely related to the road cars they are based on. This is known as homologation. In order for a car to qualify, a large manufacturer (like GM) must produce at least one road going version of the car per week, or one car a month for small manufacturers (like Ferrari). These cars must also be available for sale, with an official launch campaign for the road car and network through which the car can be sold. The cars must have only two doors, a two or 2+2 seating configuration, and have bona fide sporting ambitions. The car is not required to use the engine it is offered with (although it usually is), but it is required to be a production engine used in a road car. Carbon fiber, titanium and magnesium cannot be used outside of parts like spoilers and wheels, unless the road car has a carbon cockpit. All cars are rear-wheel-drive, and engine-based traction control is allowed. Also, in an interesting nod to the Le Mans era of old, every GTE car is required to have 150 cubic decimeters of luggage space."

"Saddlebags"... really??? You can thank our most awesome grand daddy Porsches for those "saddlebags".. which I say... thank you very much!

When Porsche asks " How much wide body would you like?" I say "Yes Please!"

Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Your post screams of inadequacy issues. No one is saying performance is superior or inferior between the two. They behave differently. We are all saying we prefer the wide body because it looks amazing. Prices reflect this by a wide margin. If you prefer the look and drive of the 2wd model, congratulations on saving yourself $5k. For me, the wide body was a must-have option.

Last edited by LISsailor; 11-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:20 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

If you live in a rainy climate and considering which to buy , 2S or 4S.. watch this video.

At the end of the day, get the one that speaks to you the most. You are the only one that knows your specific needs and wants... so get what you want and enjoy

Yes, I know it's 991 cars... but the physics and engineering still apply...

MaximumA (11-13-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 09:56 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

All 911s are beautiful , and there are different models for different purposes. If you're from midwest, you should appreciate the capabilities of AWD. There's nothing wrong with driving an SUV or sedan in winter in bad weather, but it is a treat driving a 911 in any weather. A work of art worth enjoying, not just looking at in a garage. I'd want those saddle bags regardless. I did enjoy wagging the tail on the one 2S I drove before.
rileyracing1 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 12:50 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

WARNING: Adult content. No one under 18 years of age admitted.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 132 Posts

A .2 car is very rear wheel biased... very different than a .1 car. You won’t appreciate the 4wd until the day it saves your bacon... maybe it was that run down that straight interstate in the pouring rain and some idiot pulls out in front of you at 80mph... and every system in the car kicks in and does what it is suppose to do. You will shrug it off and move on.

buy the car that gives you the biggest hardon when you walk up to it..... i would suggest paying the extra money for the .2 whatever it is.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:44 AM
fan_f1
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

4S
Old 11-14-2019, 06:43 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

4s for me ... The wide booty simply looks great and what I realized when purchasing my 4s used is you usually get many more options standard in the 4s when compared to the S model and if you hold out for the right car as I did you get one pretty much jammed with even more options. I have the .1 and bang for my buck has been excellent and the sound of the M97 engine is great. The .1 cars as with all 911's isn't perfect in mechanical design although so far the car has been dead reliable and extremely durable as my summer ride and has provided plenty of pure 911 driving satisfaction.

Last edited by rileyracing1; 11-14-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
GT3, GTE, GTLM, and GT4 all ban AWD. AWD offers an unfair advantage when racing against 2WD. You can thank cars like Audi Quattro's and Nissan Skyline GTR's of long ago for that kind of ruling in many racing classes. Plus, Rear wheel drive is more common amongst manufacturers, so the racing wants to homologate. Therefore the GT3 is only rear wheel drive in order to meet racing restrictions for it's class.

"GTE cars must meet certain specifications designed to keep them closely related to the road cars they are based on. This is known as homologation. In order for a car to qualify, a large manufacturer (like GM) must produce at least one road going version of the car per week, or one car a month for small manufacturers (like Ferrari). These cars must also be available for sale, with an official launch campaign for the road car and network through which the car can be sold. The cars must have only two doors, a two or 2+2 seating configuration, and have bona fide sporting ambitions. The car is not required to use the engine it is offered with (although it usually is), but it is required to be a production engine used in a road car. Carbon fiber, titanium and magnesium cannot be used outside of parts like spoilers and wheels, unless the road car has a carbon cockpit. All cars are rear-wheel-drive, and engine-based traction control is allowed. Also, in an interesting nod to the Le Mans era of old, every GTE car is required to have 150 cubic decimeters of luggage space."

"Saddlebags"... really??? You can thank our most awesome grand daddy Porsches for those "saddlebags".. which I say... thank you very much!

When Porsche asks " How much wide body would you like?" I say "Yes Please!"

Isnt that Jack Olsen’s car. I haven’t seen him or the car in 10 plus years.

Quick Reply: 997.2 S or 4S