Sponsored by:

Wheels paint or powdercoat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 10:43 AM
bje22201
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels paint or powdercoat?

So, it's getting close to that time of year again where I swap on the winter tires. I now have dedicated summer wheels/tires, so the stock Turbo II's will become the winters for now.

At some point the previous owner got a blow-out, and had one of the wheels refinished (or all of them possibly, as they're solid platinum/gray versus the cut finish on the fronts that appear on most). With several tire changes, there are a few chips in the paint. Long story short, I want to refinish them before getting the winters mounted once again.

Does anyone know what powder-coat color is closest to the factory color (or even the paint code)? I like the color, but don't want the center-caps contrasting because they don't match.

Last edited by bje22201; 10-21-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: picture
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good wheel repair shop will have the paint code. Also a good idea to match it up in person with them. I found quite a few variations of what I thought was a straight forward color.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 364 Likes on 229 Posts

We just did ours on the 981 Cayman. Last night as a matter of fact! Don’t know that grey code though. Here are some photos. Some fine line, painters tape and matched paint and clear. I only did a color change if the inserts. The refinished wheel was done in platinum silver not GT silver so I changed it to match

Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rap
A good wheel repair shop will have the paint code. Also a good idea to match it up in person with them. I found quite a few variations of what I thought was a straight forward color.
Silvers and metallic grays are very difficult to match and it is best to start with the "right" code and then visually check a few adjacent examples for the best match. But since you are powder coating all 4 from scratch, as long as you're not trying to match the body color you should be fine with what they provide as the factory code. Or just choose the one you want.

The issue is that there are a few different manufacturers, so not knowing what their system is, I don't think anyone can give you the correct approximate match. Even if you look it up, you might get more than one suggested match.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:28 PM
bje22201
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. . . guess I'll just need to go in with "get it as close as you can".

For touch-up, I've used the the D7Z Titanium. . . and it seems "close" as far as paint goes (from a few feet away).
Old 10-21-2019, 01:19 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Wheel paint vs powdercoat?
Winter wheels? I say paint. Easy to patch and repair.
If you are really driving in the snow and salt and sand? They need to kept sealed to avoid peeling and corrosion under he surface.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:45 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Powdercoat is much more durable than paint. With wheels you need to use a low-curing temp powder so the wheel doesn't have to be baked as hat as that can damage the structure of the wheel. I think I remember 300 degrees as the temperature limit.

Quick Reply: Wheels paint or powdercoat?