Sponsored by:

Dynavin PCM Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Dynavin PCM 3.0 Replacement

My PCM died this week. I'm guessing the hard drive failed. It just continuously reboots. I considered getting it repaired at Becker Autosound but since I'm cracking open the dash anyway I decided to upgrade.

Does anybody have any experience with Dynavin? It's a head unit with a MOST adapter built in for $900.

http://www.dynavin.com/products/n7_ps_b.php

My other consideration is a Kenwood with Wireless CarPlay and a NAV-TV MOST adapter for $2k. I've done the amp swap on my Cayenne and would rather try to keep it closer to stock this time.

Last edited by Hula; 10-23-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Xios
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd be interested in views on the Dynavin as well. My PCM is ready to go. I'm leaning towards rebuilding but it would be nice to have some modern features. If the Dynavin is truly plug and play while allowing steering wheel control functionality, it could be a contender.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:44 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've gone back and forth looking at so many different HU's and although I like how "factory" it looks, I do miss the ***** on the Dynavin unit. It is also a little dated with no CarPlay and I'm not sure if it has bluetooth streaming capabilities.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:34 PM
DocR
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 51 Posts

My PCM seems ok and I currently use the TranzitBlu to stream music and make calls. But the Dynavin looks like a nice upgrade. Especially if it is plug and play.

I don't have any controls on my wheel so won't be able to report on that.

The current N7-PS PRO states it has CarPlay and Android functionality.

https://www.jandtdistributing.com/co...19337987948601

I'm no audiophile so the Bose amp and speakers will do the job for me, this is a weekend car.

If I take the plunge I will report back with details.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:56 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

My stock head unit works fine most of the time, but I have debated if I want an upgrade at some point. I really like the factory look and features though.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:22 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ditchhanger
I've gone back and forth looking at so many different HU's and although I like how "factory" it looks, I do miss the ***** on the Dynavin unit. It is also a little dated with no CarPlay and I'm not sure if it has bluetooth streaming capabilities.
CarPlay, Android, and Bluetooth are standard in the new Pro model. So is CANBUS so steering wheel controls should work (although I don't have them) and it should read the steering position sensor for rear camera parking lines. Also "Onboard computer information integration" whatever that means. I don't think it will be able to use the stock Sirius/XM antenna but I'm not sure. Also not sure if you need a separate GPS antenna. The finish looks like stock (and a slivery finish is available for the 997.1) but I'd like to hear from on owner on functionality.

Losing the radio **** does suck. I was looking at the Sony XAV that has a volume **** but Sony doesn't offer Wireless Carplay. Now after reading up a bit more NAV-TV isn't compatible with Kenwoods so I'm back to square one.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

I talked to my installer about Dynavin. I guess it works but they are not happy with the quality. The cheap plastic housing is noticeable as is the screen quality and graphics.

I also talked with NAV-TV and my installer about compatibility issues with Kenwoods and Alpines. Apparently something changed but they haven't pinned it down. Nav-TV engineers are working on the issue.

The Kenwood issue only has to do with steering wheel controls. Since I don't have steering wheel controls I green-lit the NAV-TV adapter. I also will be using the $200 NAV-TV dash kit. Metra makes dash kit for $20 but it looks like it's $20.

I decided to go with the Kenwood Excelon DDX9906XR. The 9906XR and 996XR are the only ones on the market with a 720p screen. The resolution really makes a difference. Others might say "HD screen" but the specs are all 480p. These Kenwoods also have wireless CarPlay/Android auto. They pair up over Wi-Fi. Since I won't plug it in very often we'll use the passenger footwell's power outlet to mount the 2 usb connectors. It saves having to take the center console apart.

I opted for the $800 9906XR. It does not have built in NAV functions but, since I use my phone nav anyway, it made sense. I also didn't want more of the dash taken apart for a GPS antenna. For the same reasons I ditched the Sirius/XM antenna. The Sirius/XM module is an extra $200. The 996XR does come with Garmin Nav for about $500 more.

All in with labor is about $2500. It's going to be 3 weeks before they have an install slot but I'll post up the results.

Quick Reply: Dynavin PCM Replacement