Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering 997.2, but drive 20k miles per year

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:47 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Have an 09 .2 launch car with PDK that was bought 7 months and 20K miles ago. From GQ to DD with oil changes, a new set of rear tires, and tranny fluids replaced (time). Runs great and with the paddles, an absolute blast to drive so far. The pdk is as much a computer as transmission, so it is a bit of a different animal. I accept the maintenance or repair that may be required as simply the cost of the ownership equation for this marque. And any car is a deprecating asset, so be it a little or a lot is more work than I care to worry over. Kind of like having a euro-super model for a wife, and saying your not going to bang her just to save her for the next guy Good luck with your search!
The following 2 users liked this post by tapcon:
bronz (10-21-2019), Honda (11-08-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 11:10 PM
Jartin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pointers Torch. I'm new to California, not new to snow. I grew up in Colorado, lived in the mountains, and currently live in Utah. Cops setting up checkpoints to inspect tires will be new.

Tapcon, I'm a firm believer of not saving my car for the next guy, but losing upwards of $50k due to passing 100k miles would make me find something else to drive.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:26 AM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartin
Thanks for the pointers Torch. I'm new to California, not new to snow. I grew up in Colorado, lived in the mountains, and currently live in Utah. Cops setting up checkpoints to inspect tires will be new.

Tapcon, I'm a firm believer of not saving my car for the next guy, but losing upwards of $50k due to passing 100k miles would make me find something else to drive.
You could buy a car with 40k miles or less, drive it one year, pushing it to 60k miles, and then decide if you want to go forward. You might love it so much that you decide to keep it forever - that’s kinda what’s happening to me. I wanted a Turbo. But my 4S just feels so perfect in every way. I might keep this car forever. Anyway, if you go from 40 to 60k miles and decide you don’t like it, you can sell it. You lose some money, but at least you’ll know.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I also get about 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of rears and twice that for the fronts.

As far as reliability, I put 68,000 miles on a new 2007 997.1 twin turbo and 30,000 miles on a new 2011 997.2 twin turbo without any maintenance issues. I put between 20k and 50k on 3 996tts I purchased new and only had instrument cluster causing tail not to deploy on one.

The high pressure fuel pump is suspect on the 997.2s, but Porsche covered my wife's on her 997.2 NA through goodwill. That was the only 997.2 I purchased used except for my current GTS and we had zero problems with it except for the high pressure fuel pump and the sport button switch going out.

Thanks for the reminder. Yes the fuel pumps on the .2 cars seem a bit fragile and I forgot to mention that as a failed item on my -11 GTS. Replaced at no cost but was told it was a recall item as opposed to a goodwill replacement. If it is a recall item it may be worth remembering for those who have not had a failure yet in case they try to charge for it if it fails.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Sandwedge,

Have you ran into GTS specific issues, maybe relating to the center lock wheels? I would like a GTS, if I can convince the wife, to try to limit the depreciation. Jackspop GTS with a good Fidelity warranty would be ideal.
Can't say I have. The GTS (except the 4 GTS) is basically a C4S with RWD, X-51 kit, standard PSE from the factory, center lock wheels on most of them and a few other tweaks here and there. Going on more than 4 years on this car now and never had an issue related to the CL wheels. You don't have a spare to begin with so if you end up with a flat on regular street driving it's a flatbed to the dealer or indy of your choice. If you track and need to change wheels on your own, the sprocket to remove the CL comes with the car but you also need a torque breaker bar and a special kind of grease for remounting.

So the short answer to your question is that for for me over 4 years and about 40,000 miles, the CL wheels have been a complete non-issue.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:50 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

DD ? Sure you can. As mentioned, they are loud cars. With 1080mm of total tread on the ground for a C2S, and <35 series tires. It is loud.
My car didn't have bluetooth, So an earpiece for me.
20,000 miles a year? That could be a lot of smiles.
If your worried about depreciation? Then maybe its the wrong car. Toyota makes some great commuters.
This car would have cost $100k to buy new. Perhaps you can find one at $48k.
For the quality of car this is, it would cost $2k/mnth new to lease. If this car cost you $1k/month depreciation and maintenance/repair. You can throw it out at the end of four years.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:26 PM
cutlass476
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Hello everyone,

I have been browsing the rennlist forums for about a year or so and now I'm about 6 months from making a purchase. I'm going to use this car as my DD, and will be driving about 20k miles per year.

My current plan is to buy a CPO 997.2 C2 or C2S. Even though I'll have the peace of mind of the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, do you think I'll be crushed by normal maintenance costs if I bring a car from 60k miles to 100k miles in those 2 years?

Is the 997 a comfortable place to spend 10 hours per week?

I know this is a Porsche forum, but if you can't recommend a 911 for this high mileage routine, what car would you recommend?

Thanks for the help!
I just traded in my 2011 c2S 6-speed. I got $32k in trade. The car had 92k on it. I put 60k miles on the car in 4.5 years. I paid $69k all in, in 4/2015. I had to replace the clutch at 72k because the previous owner didn't know how to drive a stick. Other than that, the car was nearly bulletproof. Very comfortable as a DD as long as you're not comparing it to an S- class.
It's a sports car so the ride is not plush it it is not harsh at all. I don't subscribe to the drive it as little as possible approach to fine cars. I buy them to drive them. Having an awesome sports car in the garage and not driving it is like being married to a super model and being afraid to have sex with her because you're trying to save her for he future ex-husband.

Just buy it and drive it. All things wear out and periodically need replacement, but as sports cars go, the 911 is the one of the most reliable.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:49 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I daily my 997.2 but I only put on around 6-8k miles/yr. I can live with that amount of depreciation. 20k is a bit much for me... that is the equivalent of $5k/yr in depreciation in just mileage... not to mention that 2 sets of rear summer tires/yr. If you're fine with this, then do it... love my car as a daily driver and it is very comfortable on long drives.

If I was doing that much driving and wanted a Porsche, I would pick something at a lower price point... either a 997.2 with high miles, a Panamera which offers a little less sportiness but added comfort or a Boxster with all the sportiness but less comfort.
If I was open to going outside Porsche but wanted something similar / sporty, I think I'd go with a BMW M235i as I still get the comfort of a 2+2 with peppy engine and decent handling (w/o the harshness of a full M car) at a reasonable enough price to put on 40k miles in 2 yrs.
Knowing how cheap I am though, for 20k miles/yr or 80-100 miles/day, assuming I can get it charged at work, I'd get a used Nissan Leaf and spend my commute in audio book bliss. After 1 yr of commuting, the car would have paid for itself (vs a 997.2 with reasonable miles) and I would get a 997.2 (or maybe something more sporty like a turbo/GT3) to use on truly enjoyable drives.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:53 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Why soend your livfecdriving around in a boring car.
I am assuming that if the OP drives 20k miles per year for work, then most of that is highway driving. Unless he lives on the Pacific coast or has to use the tail of the dragon for his daily commute, then the car he drives every day may as well be comfortable and have a ton of amenities.

i love my 997 but if I drove that much, I’d drive a cushy sedan every day. A Porsche’s performance and handling are wasted on a daily slog on I40 at 65 mph for hours at a time.

But that’s just me, and I have he luxury of having more than one car.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 PM
Jartin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
You could buy a car with 40k miles or less, drive it one year, pushing it to 60k miles, and then decide if you want to go forward. You might love it so much that you decide to keep it forever - that’s kinda what’s happening to me. I wanted a Turbo. But my 4S just feels so perfect in every way. I might keep this car forever. Anyway, if you go from 40 to 60k miles and decide you don’t like it, you can sell it. You lose some money, but at least you’ll know.
I think I'll do just that. Buy it, see if i like it and sell it if i don't. I usually don't keep a car for more than 3 years anyhow. I think buying a CPO, driving it until the CPO warranty runs out, then buying a newer/lower mileage 911 sounds like a good deal.

Originally Posted by mujeriega
I daily my 997.2 but I only put on around 6-8k miles/yr. I can live with that amount of depreciation. 20k is a bit much for me... that is the equivalent of $5k/yr in depreciation in just mileage... not to mention that 2 sets of rear summer tires/yr. If you're fine with this, then do it... love my car as a daily driver and it is very comfortable on long drives.

If I was doing that much driving and wanted a Porsche, I would pick something at a lower price point... either a 997.2 with high miles, a Panamera which offers a little less sportiness but added comfort or a Boxster with all the sportiness but less comfort.
If I was open to going outside Porsche but wanted something similar / sporty, I think I'd go with a BMW M235i as I still get the comfort of a 2+2 with peppy engine and decent handling (w/o the harshness of a full M car) at a reasonable enough price to put on 40k miles in 2 yrs.
Knowing how cheap I am though, for 20k miles/yr or 80-100 miles/day, assuming I can get it charged at work, I'd get a used Nissan Leaf and spend my commute in audio book bliss. After 1 yr of commuting, the car would have paid for itself (vs a 997.2 with reasonable miles) and I would get a 997.2 (or maybe something more sporty like a turbo/GT3) to use on truly enjoyable drives.
I have thought about a Model 3 or another electric car. I'll have to see if I can charge at work or not though.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cutlass476
I just traded in my 2011 c2S 6-speed. I got $32k in trade. The car had 92k on it. I put 60k miles on the car in 4.5 years. I paid $69k all in, in 4/2015. I had to replace the clutch at 72k because the previous owner didn't know how to drive a stick. Other than that, the car was nearly bulletproof. Very comfortable as a DD as long as you're not comparing it to an S- class.
It's a sports car so the ride is not plush it it is not harsh at all. I don't subscribe to the drive it as little as possible approach to fine cars. I buy them to drive them. Having an awesome sports car in the garage and not driving it is like being married to a super model and being afraid to have sex with her because you're trying to save her for he future ex-husband.

Just buy it and drive it. All things wear out and periodically need replacement, but as sports cars go, the 911 is the one of the most reliable.

Couldn't agree more. Why buy a sports car just to have something to look at. Some Ferrari guys are better than most at this imo. I know a guy with a 458. He takes it out for a 10-30 mile drive on weekends (forget it if it's raining) but he's at 4,700 miles now and is clearly concerned about crossing that 5,000 mile threshold. Haven't bugged him about it but I guess a 458 with 5,000 miles or more is almost considered abused by some in that club.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:44 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Road noise = tires. I have a cabrio and nearly zero road noise from the pilot sport 4s’s. They’re incredible tires.
I find the 997 to be really comfortable, but compared to my old Acura RL, or a recent E class we rented in Germany, not as comfortable. I miss the ventilated seats from my old RL on long drives.

I just switched from my summer Bridgestone RE050a to my winter Pirelli sottozeros. Can't stress enough the difference tires can make in road noise. In addition my winter tires are on 18" rims which I think also reduces road noise. It was like driving an entirely different car after 6 months on the summers.

I wrung every last mile out of the Bridgestones and they were terribly loud at the end. I got about 14,000 out of the rears. Not sure what the fronts had on them when I bought the car last year. They weren't to the cords, but rubber is just transitioning from tread to the base on the inner rear shoulder. I was keeping a super close eye on them as I was about to swap and Michelin is currently in production for PS 4S for our sizes and I couldn't find any rears in stock. They're supposed to be available in about 6 weeks.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Having owned 991s and 997s.
Like the OP, I drive a lot. The 991 is a much much better daily. I’d consider it as well.

Last edited by STALKER99; 10-22-2019 at 03:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jartin (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Yeah, there's not much you can do to reduce tire wear, but you can certainly spend less on tires when you do change them. Especially if you're just commuting and not tracking the car.

I'm currently running Michelin PS4s because I wanted to try them out. They are fantastic tires, but I probably won't buy them again. For my purposes, a less expensive Bridgestone or Hankook works just as well for much less money.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

I summer daily a 6MT 986 Boxster S now (dry days only). I really enjoy it. Only time that I don't enjoy it is when driving uphill, in stop-go traffic (thankfully a rarity). Car is very comfortable for a sports car and adequately comfortable as "a car". I am not commuting for 10 hrs/week, however, though I am probably driving the car about 7-8+ hrs in total per week. My 911 (997.2 4S) has never been a daily but I have taken it on several longish trips. I have driven it non-stop for 4+ hrs at a time (for an 8 hr trip) and it is not a problem at all, from a comfort perspective. On one trip I probably drove it for about 16 hours of a 24 hour period and my legs / back were just fine (all things considered).

Financial implications I think are pretty obvious. The more fully depreciated the car, the less impact... outside of extra maintenance, of course.

I would love to daily drive my 4S and think it would be an awesome daily. I just can't stomach it based on parking/road conditions...

Quick Reply: Considering 997.2, but drive 20k miles per year