To modify or not to modify?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 10:51 AM
vvcobravv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To modify or not to modify?

Greetings everyone,

I am back! I just sold my Z06 and got back into a 2008 C4S. Before getting into the Z06 I had a 2006 C2S and put a Fabspeed air intake and exhaust on the car, I loved the sounds it made.

My new to me C4s has PSE so it makes some great noises above 3,000 rpm. However, an air intake really opens these cars up. It's the only modification I plan on making.

My question, should I keep it bone stock or get an intake and return it to stock form if I ever go to sell it?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I think modifying while keeping the stock parts is very smart. That way you make it what you want and return it to stock if you need to.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM
driggity
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like the sounds it makes with the intake I see no reason not to do it. I picked up a used EVOMS intake for my C2S and love the sounds that it makes. It takes maybe 15 or 20 minutes to swap intakes and the stock intake doesn't take that much space to store so to me it makes sense to keep it.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:05 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Modify intake 100%, makes a really nice sound difference ... Keep oem parts 100% My wife hates me for taking up all the garage storage space, but I gotta keep my oem parts just in case I ever sell my "forever" 997 911
Old 10-15-2019, 07:17 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Keep it bone stock. No need to add to the ambient cacophony. No matter what you do, you will never get to the noise level of a GMC pick-up truck and I doubt that you want to compare yourself (and a Porsche) to one of these obnoxious vehicles.

I cannot wait for States to pass regulations on Noise levels. It will boost the economy, forcing all the idiots to re-install the original mufflers and air boxes.

Yves
Old 10-15-2019, 07:28 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

There will always be opinions, both for and against, especially in a forum like this. At the end of the day, if the mod makes you happier, then do it.
It is your car. You should be free to do whatever modifications you want (legal ones that is).
Keeping the stock parts is just insurance, in case your mods are too eccentric and may rule out a set of buyers.
The following users liked this post:
Gmanscott (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 09:28 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Keep it bone stock. No need to add to the ambient cacophony. No matter what you do, you will never get to the noise level of a GMC pick-up truck and I doubt that you want to compare yourself (and a Porsche) to one of these obnoxious vehicles.

I cannot wait for States to pass regulations on Noise levels. It will boost the economy, forcing all the idiots to re-install the original mufflers and air boxes.

Yves
You seem like a lot of fun. Using govt to to force your opinions on others.

#taxationistheft

Cw
Porvair (10-15-2019)

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Modify intake 100%, makes a really nice sound difference ... Keep oem parts 100% My wife hates me for taking up all the garage storage space, but I gotta keep my oem parts just in case I ever sell my "forever" 997 911
Oh snap, you could probably build another 997 just with your spare parts.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Yves
Ohhhh, that a first for this forum at least that I have seen 16 years. Usually, us Porsche guys like them loud. I use to love cruising my old hot rodded 964 in parking garages and setting off car alarms and scaring women and children.
yvesvidal (10-16-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Yves
In order to celebrate Porsche idiots and keep the obnoxious noise levels down I am installing this modification to my exhaust asap!! Long live govt noise regulations!!!

Originally Posted by Doug H
Oh snap, you could probably build another 997 just with your spare parts.
That's the whole idea...just don't tell my wife!!
Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Yves, LOL.

#1 idiot here then as not a single one of my cars is stock. Stock is boring. Why drive a car that's like everyone else's when they're are so many ways to make it more enjoyable to you. Do tasteful mods that have a visual, auditory, or performance benefit and enjoy your car. Keep any parts you swap in case you ever decide to sell - I sold all my leftovers so that tells you where I stand on ever getting rid of any of them.

The auto industry in general is moving further away from my ideal car every year with the 997 series being about as modern as I ever want. I have no interest in a car that stays in its own lane, can park itself, can apply the brakes for me, can act as a wifi hot spot, senses rain and limits the engine power delivery, that resets the cruise control speed automatically every time the highway speed goes down, or has more than 1 touchscreen in it. Aside from a new pickup at some time, my plan is to spread the miles for the rest of my life out over the current stable or add more cars of the same vintage. Being only 50, that's a challenge.

Where's that ignore button again?
stiffler199 (10-19-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Yves
As serious or tongue in cheek this is, California already has this rule on the books. It is 95 dB, and the state assembly also passed (with governors signature) a law requiring police to immediately ticket offenders. The problem is that the 95 dB must me measured in a certain way (a given number of feet from the exhaust at a specific angle). Imagine a police officer stopping anyone, and setting up the appropriate testing protocol (not to mention carrying the equipment) to write a ticket. In the end, practicality makes noise legislation almost unenforceable.
yvesvidal (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

https://www.semasan.com/resources/ex...ise-laws-state

Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
As serious or tongue in cheek this is, California already has this rule on the books.
Of course, I am not serious and simply wish that car owners would not exaggerate with their exhaust and remain courteous.
My neighbor (in the street) has a Corvette C7, modified. Every time he starts the engine, it is like an explosion in the neighborhood. It is a convertible and the fellow is 22 years old.
He is already deaf and I am glad that he will be supporting the hearing aids industry, in his mid-thirties and beyond.

Yes, we do not need the Cops to enforce anything: they already are a pain in the neck. Simply respect for other human beings. Nothing more.

Yves
Old 10-16-2019, 12:18 PM
vvcobravv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

The intake is really only ondemand noise, you don't need to get into the throttle every moment of daily driving. That coupled with the PSE should be plenty of noise up top. The K&N seems to be the most bang for the buck, and that's the one I had on my old C2S, however, the filter must have been over oiled from the factory as the car started breaking up mid-range after about 300 miles, I pulled the MAF and cleaned it and it was fine. Anyone else have that issue?

Quick Reply: To modify or not to modify?