Chasing Manual Transmission Bliss

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:03 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Who cares what it smells like when it works as well as it does
Ha. I thought it was a good idea to burn the oil soaked paper towels i used to clean up the PTX in my fireplace, and now my family room smells like ...Victory !
The following users liked this post:
GoldenGorilla (10-25-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 10:37 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Quick update on my 1-2 shift grind when cold.
  • As i noted before, changing engine mounts did not do anything to improve this.
  • I replaced the transmission fluid today with PTX. Still very slightly balky from first to second when cold, but the grind appears to be gone. Shifts are buttery otherwise, and once warm all good.
PS. PTX smells awful.
yeah... shifting in cold tranny fluid is going to be stiff and balky, regardless of new engine/trans mounts. Depending on how worn your engine mounts were you should feel a bit more precision over all with less flex and movement of the engine and tranny. I realize you and a few others may not sense a night and day difference, but my experience with fresh mounts still equates to a bit more precision. Less sway and movement from the engine is better for handling and precision in general. One of the main reasons GT3's have stiffer engine mounts. Any little bit should help. Maybe mine were just worn out really bad at the time and my engine was sagging about an inch and half lower than with the new mounts. Think about how that translates into engine sway back and forth, left and right under aggressive driving. I had some bad shift binding when racing or during high speed canyon bashing. Hard braking into tight corners 3rd to 2nd gear quick down shift would bind. I could not get the car into 2nd gear during the hard braking and cornering but once the weight shifted back a bit it would then go into gear. Swapped out some worn out engine mounts and trans mount and the problem went away. My conclusion was that under extreme weight shift of motor/trans on worn mounts that maybe the cables were moving or bending just enough to not allow full travel of the wire through the cable housing. At least that is my best guess.

Either way... sorry you have not found shifting bliss just yet... Do you have a short shift kit installed?

edit...sorry about all my typos as well... late night speed typing gets me everytime

Last edited by qikqbn; 10-24-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:21 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

no short shifter: shifter, cables, tranny, mounts are all stock. I am quite happy with how it shifts. The OP is seeking Bliss. I can live with "just" Great. When I say slightly balky, i mean the first 2 or 3 shifts. Within 3-4 minutes, smooth as silk, all gears. It's all good to me.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:28 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Quick update on my 1-2 shift grind when cold.
  • As i noted before, changing engine mounts did not do anything to improve this.
  • I replaced the transmission fluid today with PTX. Still very slightly balky from first to second when cold, but the grind appears to be gone. Shifts are buttery otherwise, and once warm all good.
PS. PTX smells awful.
It does not smell like heavy weight gear oil which is the worst automotive smell in the world.
TheTorch (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 12:39 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Ha. I thought it was a good idea to burn the oil soaked paper towels i used to clean up the PTX in my fireplace, and now my family room smells like ...Victory !
Your home is not a high-school chemistry lab. Its the sulphur you smell and they are highly inflammable. Used in gear oil to enhance the fluid's ability to cling to metal. Soaking up gear oil with paper towel and then throw it into the fireplace is a recipe to burn down your house. Gunpowder and explosives' properties are attributed to sulphur and charcoal.
That's why any workshops should always have a metal bin to dispose all oily rags and that includes garages for the DIYers.
https://www.teck.com/media/Sulfur.pdf
Old 10-24-2019, 02:07 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll make sure to remember that information Henry.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
Thank you Swftiii. Its frustrating that, what I consider, a luxury sports car feels less refined than a Honda for example. It doesn't seem to a small percent of owners that are unhappy with the shifts unfortunately.
The S2000 has about the best shifter out of any stock vehicle. If that is what your comparing it to, you going to be disappointed. And calling an S2k "just a honda" is a little short sighted as Honda used a lot of what they learned about the NSX for the S2k. Infact, I have a buddy who has 2 NSX (one is a Type R) and an S2000 and he says the S is actually a better car to drive. Im familiar with both cars and the 911 wont shift as well, it just wont, BUT nothing else will either
Old 10-24-2019, 04:02 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Frankly, I never mentioned the S2000 and I understand the gearbox accepted as one of the best. I believe another user mentioned above after I said Honda. I thought it was widely known that Honda's have great shifter feel & feedback for the price. If that's not the case - This is what I meant by the statement of comparing it to a Honda.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Having owned a few S2000 and NSX's. The transmissions are notchy until up to temperature. Then become buttery smooth. My 06 997 seems to be the same way. Once up to temperature the transmission becomes very smooth. It's almost like the cars are talking to you. Telling you, she is ready to go!
Old 10-25-2019, 08:47 AM
93Jaffe
Racer

Redrag - I hear the word notchy often when defining shifting feel, in fact I've used it myself. My "notchy" feeling actually pushes the gear shifter back up towards neutral. I assume that is not the same feeling you are describing?
Old 10-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Jaffe
Redrag - I hear the word notchy often when defining shifting feel, in fact I've used it myself. My "notchy" feeling actually pushes the gear shifter back up towards neutral. I assume that is not the same feeling you are describing?

Notchy. Maybe better wording. Ruff or to grind slightly
Old 10-25-2019, 12:13 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Interesting. Thanks for your input!
Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM
bml376
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 997.2 6 MT, which is primarily a track car. WRT to the shifter/transmission feel my car has RSS motor mounts, FF transmission mount inserts (black), 996 Cup car shift cables, Aasco LWFW and 997.2 GT3 RS shifter (has metal bushings). I also have been using Mobil 1 Delvac 75w-90 gearbox fluid.

When the car is cold (start driving within about 5 minutes of start up) 1st to 2nd doesn't feel great, I can feel a noticeable mechanical almost metal on metal feel. I noticed that when I shift from 1st to 2nd and the car is cold, if I follow this sequence, it feels great:

1. Car moving in 1st gear
2. Clutch in
3. Move gear selector to neutral
4. While in neutral, move selector left then right, don't move so far left as to if trying to engage reverse
5. Move gear selector to 2nd gear, feels great.

Once the car and all fluids are warmed up, I don't have any issues. Sometimes, I'll experience some hesitation getting into 1st from a stop light, but that is about it.

I also change my gearbox fluid every 6-8 track days, which amount to ~ 1200 miles max.

My only complaint is that while on track, even with the black FF inserts, I feel there is still too much movement, and would like something even stiffer. So far in the car's 42k miles, I've sent my gearbox fluid to Blackstone for analysis once and the report noted that they were very surprised by the low wear metals for the sample being transmission gear box oil and for the vehicle being a track car.
Hindsight2010 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 03:25 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

BML great information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:01 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
It does not smell like heavy weight gear oil which is the worst automotive smell in the world.
I would say Iron remover smells much worse. I was working on my summer wheels when I swapped for winter a few days ago. My wife walks out the front door about 30 feet away and immediately said "what is that awful smell?". I mean 75W90 doesn't smell good, but Iron remover is on a whole different level. It's like a cross between hair perm chemicals and rotten egg.

But I have PTX in my fire cabinet for my 60K service this winter, so I'll get to know that smell soon.

Quick Reply: Chasing Manual Transmission Bliss