Sponsored by:

Get ready for 15% Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 02:03 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Get ready for 15% Ethanol

The Trump administration just announced that, in response to demands from the "Corn Belt", that starting in 2020 they would up the Ethanol in gas from 10% to 15% and allow its use year round.

Great news for the big farm corporations, but I doubt that this will be good for our engines. I did a quick search on the subject, but found no threads. Anyone out there an expert on the subject?

Here is the article in todays NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/07/u...l-farmers.html

BTY, the push for ethanol was made before fracking and coal sands made the US an exporter of both oil and refined gasoline. We do not need ethanol in our gas.

Patrick
Old 10-08-2019, 02:11 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

can they reduce the price of gas in CA first, it was 4.79 a gallon for premium
Old 10-08-2019, 02:20 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

There is a very big push from Corn growers all around the globe to produce Ethanol for transportation. The same is true in Europe, where Pure Ethanol gasoline can be obtained for half the price of regular petroleum based gasoline (0.7 euro versus 1.5 euro a liter).

It may be tempting for the average Joe to use that inexpensive fuel, but growing corn for producing gasoline is an environmental disaster, due to the amount of land and water that it takes to grow corn.

Electric cars, hopefully, will change some of this stupid equation and political decisions.

Yves
The following 3 users liked this post by yvesvidal:
DesmoSD (10-09-2019), PJorgen (10-08-2019), sbbarnett (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 05:41 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
There is a very big push from Corn growers all around the globe to produce Ethanol for transportation. The same is true in Europe, where Pure Ethanol gasoline can be obtained for half the price of regular petroleum based gasoline (0.7 euro versus 1.5 euro a liter).

It may be tempting for the average Joe to use that inexpensive fuel, but growing corn for producing gasoline is an environmental disaster, due to the amount of land and water that it takes to grow corn.

Electric cars, hopefully, will change some of this stupid equation and political decisions.

Yves
Agree.

#taxationistheft.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 384 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal

Yves
Not to mention the pesticides that are killing the bees. And, turning the frogs Gay. (excuse my Alex Jones Joke) I couldn't resist.
The following users liked this post:
Donny87 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 813 Likes on 458 Posts

I am not an expert but:
My old car on 91 = 388hp/375tq
My old car on E85 = 463hp/461tq.
I ran E85 for 8 years and 2 different cars with no ill effects. Both cars are still running today with their new owners, same motors.
All I did was upgrade the injectors and fuel pump at first. Then, later, I had a fully built 2.3L motor (dyno charts below).
I know that the octane for E85 = 105 or so instead of 91.
So, I wonder if we could get more power with E15 over E10 with the 91?
The E85 was like crack. Once I had it in my car, I only ran 91 a couple times when I was out of town on a trip and I couldn't get to an E85 station.
It is cheaper per gallon but it burns more efficient and cleaner, which = less MPG. Honestly though, with that much more power, I wasn't really worried about cost or MPG. I did like saying I was using Bio-Fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
Old 10-08-2019, 11:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

997s should be fine on E15. Classic cars is a different question.
DesmoSD (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:25 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 813 Likes on 458 Posts

for people really worried/excited about this, there is a great gauge you can just install and keep in your glovebox:
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

I am wondering how this will affect octane rating. I would be waaaay onboard if it upped the octane rating to 93 or higher!!
For older cars, it would be possible to tune around this. I am not knowledgable enough to know this but it would be mostly rejetting carbs/rescaling injectors, a higher pressure fuel pump, and possibly ethanol friendly lines (which all 997s already have for sure because blending was going on before the 997)...
There are a bunch of myths about Ethanol but I personally have never seen any negative results from it. When I blew the motor on my EVO at the track, I was on CA91 and had lagged on adding the 100oct racing fuel when I shattered my piston. After that, when I rebuilt, I went to 100% E85 all the time + at the track, and never had an engine issue with it tracking or daily driving.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

I am now truly concerned by this increase: will my car run with Genetically Modified Corn crops?
Add the pesticide from Monsanto/Bayer on top of it....

I wonder if my engine will develop some kinds of allergies or worse cancer....

Yves
ThomasCarreraGTS (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:22 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I am not an expert but:
My old car on 91 = 388hp/375tq
My old car on E85 = 463hp/461tq.
I ran E85 for 8 years and 2 different cars with no ill effects. Both cars are still running today with their new owners, same motors.
All I did was upgrade the injectors and fuel pump at first. Then, later, I had a fully built 2.3L motor (dyno charts below).
I know that the octane for E85 = 105 or so instead of 91.
So, I wonder if we could get more power with E15 over E10 with the 91?
The E85 was like crack. Once I had it in my car, I only ran 91 a couple times when I was out of town on a trip and I couldn't get to an E85 station.
It is cheaper per gallon but it burns more efficient and cleaner, which = less MPG. Honestly though, with that much more power, I wasn't really worried about cost or MPG. I did like saying I was using Bio-Fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

Originally Posted by ADias
997s should be fine on E15. Classic cars is a different question.
For modern turbo cars on high boost, E85 IS crack. My Supra buddies are pushing 1200hp+ and boosting 46psi easily. This was back in 2017. He has since did some more tuning and gone with a bigger turbo. Supra's are so badass.

This 1994 Toyota Supra is one amazing car
THE BUILD LIST:
This 3.4L high compression motor
The VVT-I OCD race head
Ferrea valvetrain
Kelford cams
fully built running a Borg Warner S369 Turbo 40+LBS
The car made 958whp on 38LBS
Running on proEFI Engine Managment Built E85 fuel system

As ADias mentioned, classic cars (pre EFI) it'll wreck havoc.

Those of you with classic cars will have to find Ethanol free gas stations.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
jamesinger (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ironically, the only place I can find ethanol free gas for my 914-6 is at the farmer's coop.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:09 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

More ethanol means a higher octane rating. They mix the two because it is cheaper to add ethanol to the gas to get to the octane rating than it is with straight gas. MPG suffers the more octane there is though, but I don’t care about that.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

F all of this! I have been exclusively filling up with Non-Ethanol 93 for the past 3 years or so. Yeah, it is a tad more expensive, though I can also tell the car loves this gas.

For you other Raleigh folks, the Sunoco on the corner of Falls and Sandy Forks is where you can find Non-E 93.

I have run into a few other P-car folks gassing up here as well. I’ll be gassing up here as long as they carry that gas or I keel over... Screw that 15% jazz....
Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
F all of this! I have been exclusively filling up with Non-Ethanol 93 for the past 3 years or so. Yeah, it is a tad more expensive, though I can also tell the car loves this gas.

For you other Raleigh folks, the Sunoco on the corner of Falls and Sandy Forks is where you can find Non-E 93.

I have run into a few other P-car folks gassing up here as well. I’ll be gassing up here as long as they carry that gas or I keel over... Screw that 15% jazz....
Yes I would fill up with non-ethanol if it was at a reputable gas station, but where I live in Texas only Walmart sells non-ethanol. No way am I putting Walmart gas in my Porsche. My Jeep ran like garbage when I filled up there once. I can only image how the Porsche would run.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 PM
HEIL911
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Electric cars will make ethanol blended gas irrelevant and then corn producers will have to find other subsidies for their product. Government shapes the behavior of consumers by taxation and manipulates supply and demand by regulation. Fossil fuels are on the hit list and the thrill of owning a combustion engine Porsche is of no concern to environmentalists and globalists. After electric self driving cars are mandatory, we will all be relegated to taxi passengers. Enjoy you cars while you can.
Darkhorse (10-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Get ready for 15% Ethanol