dmpslc
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 143 Posts

Looks great!!
Old 11-18-2019, 12:01 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,279 Posts

just gorgeous. I need to stop looking at these threads, at least until spring. I put mine away last week, and I really miss it a lot! They are such great drivers.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
just gorgeous. I need to stop looking at these threads, at least until spring. I put mine away last week, and I really miss it a lot! They are such great drivers.
Yup, I hear ya!!! I didn't cover mine to see it everytime I open the garage door...
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM
Vince Vincent
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts

What suspension and what wheel (sizing) did you go with?! Looks amazing. Night/Day difference.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks all! Fortunately we don't have to put away cars in Texas for winter; however, the summers are quite miserable so I'm not sure if it balances out or not

Originally Posted by Vince Honorato
What suspension and what wheel (sizing) did you go with?! Looks amazing. Night/Day difference.
Thanks Vince, I used BC Racing coilovers and HRE C20 wheels in 996 Turbo offsets. I made a video of the process, will try to edit it and post it here shortly.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 911
About six months ago I made a huge mistake and accepted an offer on my 18k mile 911 C2S. I thought it was a good idea to sell since I didn't use it that often and it felt wrong putting miles on such a low mileage car. It was really a great build, sport seats, sport exhaust, factory aero and other little things that made it just about perfect, other than having a stone grey interior.

I left it mostly stock, other than wheels and suspension.

The buyer wanted it in factory condition, so I returned it to stock and hesitantly gave it to the transport driver and ended up walking almost a mile home wondering if I made the right decision or not.

I immediately picked up an Avus Blue E36 M3 to play around with and to try something different. I actually love the E36, it's a fun car and blue cars always end up being some of my favorites; however, I was still somewhat missing the 911 at times.

About six months after letting the black car go I was looking at autotrader to see if it happened to be for sale again. It wasn't, but I did see one that really sparked my interest from a private seller. Not only was it my favorite color, it also had a black interior with full leather, two options my other car didn't have that I really wanted at times. I decided to go look at it and the rest is history. One of the easiest car deals of my life, which I think is a great sign as I think buying a car should be easy, not a headache.

Anyway, on to the details. It's an 06 Lapis Blue C2S on black full leather with a manual transl. Has just under 60k miles, which is perfect as I can drive it as much as I want without having to worry. Overall, I'm quite happy with this one and hope it ends up being a long term keeper. Did I mention blue is my favorite color?

So in summary, if you're thinking of selling your 911 while prices are hot, don't.

Thats looks like my first 997.
Been in that situation, sellers remorse.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:41 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
Hmmm, this logic I don’t really get. If I had a low mile example, I’d be happy to put miles on it knowing that I have a long way to go before it being of little value, and when it starts getting to around 70k+ miles, I start getting the itch to sell. Mine’s at 29k now, and I’m happy to put as many miles as possible on it when I can knowing that a 997 isn’t a collector car anyway. They made too much of them.

But, regardless congrats on the pick up. Blue is the best color!
I'm with you. This "logic" totally perplexes me. Now you have the same car with 40k more miles on it and the same wheels and suspension as before which all cost more money when you could have just drove the original another 40k and been in the same place?!

New car looks great though with the suspension and wheel mods. Love the dish look!
Old 11-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Originally Posted by vern1
I'm with you. This "logic" totally perplexes me. Now you have the same car with 40k more miles on it and the same wheels and suspension as before which all cost more money when you could have just drove the original another 40k and been in the same place?!

New car looks great though with the suspension and wheel mods. Love the dish look!
How did this all cost more money? I don't understand that comment.
Old 11-18-2019, 05:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

Sorry maybe I made the wrong assumption that you had to have someone remove the original suspension and re-install on the new car. If you did all the work (and assuming those are the same wheels and suspension) then it just cost you the time

But it still totally perplexes me why you just didnt keep the original car and drive it for those extra 40k miles? Unless your goal was just to trade miles for money but 997.1's are a dime a dozen. The car looks great but you already had a great looking car with lower mileage and you knew where any of the skeltons lay as the owner.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Originally Posted by vern1
Sorry maybe I made the wrong assumption that you had to have someone remove the original suspension and re-install on the new car. If you did all the work (and assuming those are the same wheels and suspension) then it just cost you the time

But it still totally perplexes me why you just didnt keep the original car and drive it for those extra 40k miles? Unless your goal was just to trade miles for money but 997.1's are a dime a dozen. The car looks great but you already had a great looking car with lower mileage and you knew where any of the skeltons lay as the owner.
I did do the work myself, so i wasn't figuring labor, but now I see what you were getting at as I'm sure labor would have been a pretty penny on all of this.

As far as the original car, I thought it made sense to sell since it wasn't being used often plus I felt a bit guilty putting mileage on such a low mileage car. I know it 100% makes sense to have just driven that one; however, that's not how it played out. On the plus side, the new car has full leather, which I always wanted, and is black rather than stone grey inside. It's also blue, which is my favorite color when it comes to cars
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-07-2020)
Old 11-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Steve we forgive you for your transgressions and welcome you back into the fold. What a cool color. I’ve been in your shoes as far as being concerned about devaluing a car by driving it and after I sold it I vowed to never again own a car that wouldn’t be driven.

And as someone mentioned car covers earlier, I learned with that car that one of the biggest deterrents to using a car is keeping it under a cover. Never again.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve 911
I did do the work myself, so i wasn't figuring labor, but now I see what you were getting at as I'm sure labor would have been a pretty penny on all of this.

As far as the original car, I thought it made sense to sell since it wasn't being used often plus I felt a bit guilty putting mileage on such a low mileage car. I know it 100% makes sense to have just driven that one; however, that's not how it played out. On the plus side, the new car has full leather, which I always wanted, and is black rather than stone grey inside. It's also blue, which is my favorite color when it comes to cars
Well as long as you got what you want then great!
Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Steve we forgive you for your transgressions and welcome you back into the fold. What a cool color. I’ve been in your shoes as far as being concerned about devaluing a car by driving it and after I sold it I vowed to never again own a car that wouldn’t be driven.

And as someone mentioned car covers earlier, I learned with that car that one of the biggest deterrents to using a car is keeping it under a cover. Never again.
Haha, thank you. I feel the same actually. I have learned my lesson and want to drive my cars going forward as well. The idea of a low mileage pristine car is nice, but in reality, I think I'll seek out driver examples going forward so I don't feel bad using them.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Went for an alignment on Saturday. The car was a bit squirrely on the way there, but drives great now.

The following users liked this post:
myw (04-07-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:28 PM
Steve 911
Pro

Just realized I forgot to post this here. I made a short video of the suspension install on my car along with some video of the car with the new setup towards the end.

I'm still very happy with this car but I'm finding myself not using it as much as I would like. I think it may be time to get rid of a few of my BMWs to make it a little more accessible and to reduce my choices on the weekend, not to mention reduce the need of maintenance on several needy vehicles.

Quick Reply: Made a mistake, but now I'm back