Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

“Big brake” adapter kits worth anything?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 06:58 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 59 Posts
Default “Big brake” adapter kits worth anything?

Planning to do a brake upgrade soon. Was planning to use Hawk ceramic pads, and sebro slotted rotors. This is a weekend toy car (06 C2S) which may see a couple de days a year.
Is it worth anything to get the adapters to run the bigger 350mm rotors? Cost is the same, but is it really worth anything in braking performance?
Old 10-01-2019, 08:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,681 Likes on 4,241 Posts

A larger rotor gives you a larger heat sink for the energy generated during braking, which means the rotor will last a little longer (wear and warpage) and the brakes won't fade as early under heavy use (track day, spirited mountain drive with heavy braking). If you don't drive in those situations or have never gotten your brakes hot enough to experience brake fade, then no, there wouldn't be much benefit to you spacing the calipers out to run a larger rotor.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:26 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 323 Posts

I am doing it cause its wicked cheap and fills up the wheels much nicer. If I decided to track the car great, if not o well. Its $600 to do it.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Any chance of getting a link for the brake kit?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:20 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes. However it takes away the ability to run many 18" wheels, which may be a negative for your application, depending on what you are trying to do on the track. You also mention Hawk Ceramics. If you are referencing the performance ceramic (Z in part number) pads, they aren't considered an ideal compound for track use.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
Planning to do a brake upgrade soon. Was planning to use Hawk ceramic pads, and sebro slotted rotors. This is a weekend toy car (06 C2S) which may see a couple de days a year.
Is it worth anything to get the adapters to run the bigger 350mm rotors? Cost is the same, but is it really worth anything in braking performance?
No! If you want to track and daily on the same brake pads, the ONLY set of pads that work are Ferodo DS2500, PERIOD! Hawk absolutely sucks compared to those on track, and nothing else I've tried could be called dual use. Now, a bigger brake kit plus Ferodo pads may yield better results, but to me it's not worth the cost at all, unless you're a track junkie.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:14 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
No! If you want to track and daily on the same brake pads, the ONLY set of pads that work are Ferodo DS2500, PERIOD! Hawk absolutely sucks compared to those on track, and nothing else I've tried could be called dual use. Now, a bigger brake kit plus Ferodo pads may yield better results, but to me it's not worth the cost at all, unless you're a track junkie.
He's just hard parking them.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:21 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

How is the street noise with the ferodo pads?
I like the notion of the low dust reported from the hawk pads
Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 PM
FF273
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following......
Old 10-03-2019, 12:50 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
How is the street noise with the ferodo pads?
I like the notion of the low dust reported from the hawk pads
There is no street noise with the ds2500 pads.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:58 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 181 Posts

J
But if they do fit the wheels, you get a nice brake improvement for the track at very little cost with really no downside. Maybe that you’re more likely to get a pebble or rubber turd stuck between the wheel and caliper as clearances are really tight on 18”. I did this upgrade on my 996TT last year with oem wheels and wish I’d done it sooner. If you are replacing your rotors anyway, why not?
Old 10-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Originally Posted by jayzbird
J

If you are replacing your rotors anyway, why not?
This was my thought. I am running 19” wheels, so clearance shouldnt be an issue
Old 10-04-2019, 06:26 PM
SF997S
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Larger diameter brake rotors increase stopping power because of basic physics. Imagine a line drawn from the hub center to the outer edge of the rotor. That line is a lever. The longer the line (bigger the rotor), the more leverage the braking system has over the force of rotation.

So yes, get the big ones!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:58 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I like the idea of having bigger rotors from "hey they look cooler and bad ***" perspective. I recently had Big Rotor envy at a cars and coffee
please share where you are getting these from. I assume the kit has an adapter that pushes your existing caliper a little further up to clear the larger new rotor??? Link please

With that said brake pads can make or break, no pun intended, , any rotor upgrade. I tried some "quiet, low brake dust" brake pads and they sucked so bad and overheated so quickly that I lost all confidence in my braking ability within the first 20 minutes of a spirited canyon run. This never happened before on my Textar pads. I immediately threw those "quiet" pads in the trash and went back to my squeaky Textar pads which never faded or overheated no matter how hard I ran them at the track or in the canyons. So if you go Big then get some pads that are tried and proven to stop on a dime regardless of how big the rotor is. As far as squeak and dust is concerned. I would rather have confidence in stopping than less noise and dust! I also found that periodically giving those cross drilled rotors a good spray with the hose to clean out all the clogged holes from brake dust will keep squeaky noises at bay most of the time.

I have never felt the need for "more braking power" , but do like the idea of having big fat meaty rotors. Question... What is the weight difference between oem and the 350mm rotors???
Old 10-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I like the idea of having bigger rotors from "hey they look cooler and bad ***" perspective. I recently had Big Rotor envy at a cars and coffee
please share where you are getting these from. I assume the kit has an adapter that pushes your existing caliper a little further up to clear the larger new rotor??? Link please
There was a guy on here selling it too, but its just spacers and longer bolts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-997...-/222778581927

Quick Reply: “Big brake” adapter kits worth anything?