Sponsored by:

Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 06:37 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Flat Tire

Was on my way to see my kids at college. On the car for 3.5 hours. Tire sensor goes off and says -8. Checked the pressure via the TPMS and was at 30 and dropping. I was Camden Ohio. I know. I've never heard of it either. On a big country road with nothing visible for miles. Debated turning around and on the horizon I saw Camden tire. Literally in the middle of no where. Some young kid who has never seen a porsh before. Pulled out a 3 inch screw and patched tire in less than 20 min. Oh. It was 4:39 and the closed at 5.

Only thing he did that made me cringe was bang on the inside of the rim with a rubber mallet to get the rim off.

When I get home I'm checking my tire goo.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:19 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

Plugged, not patched, right? 20 minutes to dismount and remount the tire would be truly impressive.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 797 Posts

Rubber mallet on the rim isn't unusual but it is disconcerting.

Get a patch under that plug.

I carry a small jack with plug repair kit as well as the goo. Plus torque wrench & sockets, tarp, fresh clothes, hand cleaner, rags, anti seize, etc.

Yet I didn't have duct tape (or ty straps) when a friend's windshield gasket started flapping a couple months ago ... DUH!!!

A couple weeks ago in Pam's car (GLA45) we hit camouflaged road debris and blew out the sidewall on a PS4S. 90 mph and a tribute to the tire in that other than the warning on the dash the only indication was the noise. No way that any repair kit was going to fix that one.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Never ever use that goo stuff. Once it gets onto your wheels, it just makes hell of a mess.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

He had a low profile jack. I showed he the Jack point and lined up the jack. He used an electric torque wrench to remove the lugs (slight cringe). Took tire off rim. Removed screw. Cleaned the inside of the tire with an air tool. Had a patch with a long rubber thing with a metal insert. Pulled it though. Clipped it. I stalled tire. Marked where tire lined up with valve before dismount so he did not have to rebalance. Again. Not complaining for what could have happened. Even if I have to get a new rim. Still made it to dads weekend at college and getting to spend time with 4 of my daughters.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:43 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Took tire off rim. Removed screw. Cleaned the inside of the tire with an air tool. Had a patch with a long rubber thing with a metal insert. Pulled it though. Clipped it.
Pretty impressive. I always say that it's not the shop that matters, but the tech.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Wow, you found a good guy in the middle.of no where - good for you. Sounds like it was also patched from the inside rather than plugged, so you should be fine.

Forget the tire goo; in fact, take it out of the car. It's probably expired and has a tendency to leak in the bottle making a mess in your frunk. Instead carry a plug kit so you can use the tool kit compressor and the plug kit to get yourself going again. A plug will get you to your destination or through a weekend until you can get to a good tire shop to patch it.

I use the Dynaplug Xtreme. Everything is metal and fits inside the handle. The handle has a nice and wide flat surface for you to press on when reaming the hole and inserting the plug. I have one in every car.

Dynaplug Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit, Aluminum Pro Xtreme, Made in USA
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-28-2019, 12:46 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

ignore

Quick Reply: Flat Tire