Sponsored by:

Scratch on Passenger side glass

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019 | 08:37 AM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Default Scratch on Passenger side glass

Hi all,

I noticed a pretty deep scratch on the passenger side window.

I've researched a few options, but was wondering if anyone has tried something like this approach:
Old 09-27-2019 | 11:08 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

I would go to an automotive glass shop before attempting anything.

I have a feeling that this technique might help with the depth of the scratch, but might also distort vision over the whole area you treated
The following 2 users liked this post by Steph1:
Gmanscott (09-27-2019), Hella-Buggin' (10-01-2020)
Old 09-27-2019 | 06:27 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Potential i see is you end up with really clear section with other areas of glass not matching. Glass pros would prob do whole window so its all the same.
I’ve polished my windshield to remove minor pitting and been successful but did entire windshield, not just a section. Also didn’t have that severe an issue.
As previous post recommends if I had scratch that bad I’d have pros tackle it.
Old 09-27-2019 | 07:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I had a brick kick up three cars in front of me a week ago. I watched the path as it reached about 30 feet in elevation. 60 mph and cars all around me. It became obvious that I was in the way of its direct return to earth. I was able to adjust speed and lane position so it hit on the right side of the windshield and missed the body panels. No paint damage. It sounded like an M80 going off on the passenger's seat and I had prepared myself for the windshield to enter the cabin. But just a couple nasty scratches. Pure luck. I'm leaving the scratches there for memory. They're not in the way. Patina happens.
Old 09-24-2020 | 11:22 AM
annejohnson
Banned

I also think that it is better to Polish all the glass so that there is no distortion.
Old 09-24-2020 | 11:43 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

OE replacement glass is surprisingly inexpensive (relatively speaking) from a dealer with wholesale pricing like Sunset. Here's a new passenger window for $216:

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ss-99754251205

This is for the coupe, I think the cab has a different PN. For that price I'd just buy new glass rather than hassling with a repair that may or may not work. You need to pull the door panel off to change it but that's a straight-forward process that's documented in a few threads here.
Old 10-01-2020 | 01:29 PM
annejohnson
Banned

Hi guys. What can I say, I already have experience in this stuff. A month ago I bought a used car, when buying everything was OK, there were no visible defects. A couple of days later, I noticed scratches on the windshield of the car. They are visible when the light falls at a special angle. I was so annoyed that I had to urgently find a company that deals with repairing scratched glasses. And of course I found it. The guys are professionals, they immediately warned me that I would need to Polish all the glass so that there was no distortion. As a result, I saved time, money and nerves.

Last edited by annejohnson; 10-01-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2020 | 06:15 PM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

I polished the glass on 3 cars so far and they all came out very well with no distortion. Get the right pad and a random orbital polisher and the right polish, lots of microfiber rags and a spray bottle of water and you can really improve glass. My 996 had the nasty windshield wiper scratches when I bought it. It took a a couple hours but I got 90% of them out. My 997 had three 1/2" scratches right in the middle of the windshield in front of me at eye level. Drove me nuts. I polished them out in 1 hour. I did some polishing on the entire windshield to remove the old sealer. I then sealed the windshield.

From all the videos I watched the main thing is to keep moving so you do not build up heat.

Old 10-09-2020 | 07:06 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdsculler
...I did some polishing on the entire windshield to remove the old sealer. I then sealed the windshield.

From all the videos I watched the main thing is to keep moving so you do not build up heat.
If there’s any video you thought particularly helpful, especially on how to reseal, could you post it?

Always good to get a recommendation from someone who has actually done it.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2020 | 08:54 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

I polish glass all the time and it is very hard and will take alot of time. If you do get a scratch out, you have to do the whole glass, as it will look distorted in just one section alone.
Use aggressive compound and reduce to polishing compound to finish
Old 10-10-2020 | 11:18 AM
jdsculler
Rennlist Member

This the product I used. I searched youtube and found multiple videos on how to polish glass, not just automotive. I also did the driver rear view mirror on my 996 that some how got a good scratch in it. I got 90% of it out.

If you can feel the scratch with a fingernail it won't come out all the way.

Take your time and keep it wet and keep moving so it does not get hot. I used a 6" wheel.

Quick Reply: Scratch on Passenger side glass