Coilover advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 08:46 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Coilover advice

Please.

Im currently saving for coilovers. $900 saved so far. I drive an 05 C2S. I do have the DSC module. My plan is Bilstein B16 w/ damptronics. What other coilovers talk directly to the DSC module besides DSC Tractive & the Bilsteins? I do not track my car however I do enjoy driving it swiftly. Currently I have H&R springs. Second question does these Bilsteins ever pop up in the market place? If they do should I feel safe buying them or just keep saving and buy new?

thank you,
b
Old 09-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 918 Likes on 515 Posts

All dampers that is compatible with PASM controller is also compatible with DSC. This includes Bilstein B4/B6 /B8/B16, OEM Porsche GT3/RS/4.0(which is made by Bilstein), RUF(also made by Bilstein), Tractive, KW DDC. I think in a few more years Ohlins will have electronic coilovers but I think they'll probably start for the 991 cars, not sure if they'll backdate the 997 cars though.
The Bilstein-made dampers are not as fast reacting nor have the damping range that Tractive have but they are good for their price range.
I saw the KW DDC at a trade show but have not seen it installed on a car. Again, since its compatible with PASM controller, its also compatible with DSC.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
Gmanscott (09-26-2019), jamesinger (09-26-2019), pride355 (02-18-2022)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:16 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 746 Likes on 426 Posts

^^^ +1.

I also assume that KW and Ohlins (at least) will offer adaptive dampers in the future but maybe not for older cars and maybe not for a couple years. That has to be the future though as more cars are coming stock with various versions of chassis adaptability. That kind of leaves you with Bilstein, Bilstein, Bilstein, and Tractive. Tractive is out of my budget for a 997 C2S. That leaves me with the various Bilstein options. I went with 997.1 OEM GT3 coilovers (Bilstein dampers/H&R springs). Since they were used, I got them checked by Glenn Yee Motorsports when I got them because he is local to me (disassembled, checked, dyno'ed, and reassembled with a report). They were all good, so I had them installed on my C2S.

I plan to get the DSC box soon because as is, the only difference in PASM Normal and PASM Sport modes is a bit of weight in the steering. I think this might be because the H&R OEM GT3 springs are a bit oversprung but I am not knowledgeable enough to know that for sure. That is just how it feels to me. If the DSC box does not smooth out the PASM modes, I will look at softer springs or some other kind of spring change option from OEM. The reason I bring this up is because if that all doesn't work, I would be inclined to delete PASM altogether and go with Ohlins R+T or KW Clubsports instead of chasing the dream of adaptive suspension forever. I previously had KW Clubsports, and after some OCD level tuning (springs and valving), I got them to where I would not want to change them for any reason between track days or daily driving. From that experience, I know I can dial in coilovers to where I am happy with them but I have not found that medium with PASM stock C2S suspension or the GT3 suspension on my car now. I am assuming that within a few years, the 997.1 Carrera with PASM will have more of a formula that comes out because people's suspensions will start to fail, and more of the new owners will be people like me that cannot leave their cars alone rather than original owners that may be hesitant to mess with their new cars. I do hope the formula that emerges is a nice adaptive feature.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:28 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you like fiddling with suspension settings, then get Bilstein B16s (they're great). If you don't want to fiddle and adjust then get the cheaper B6s and enjoy PASM with the TPC Racing DSC Box.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:10 AM
systech
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximumA
If you like fiddling with suspension settings, then get Bilstein B16s (they're great). If you don't want to fiddle and adjust then get the cheaper B6s and enjoy PASM with the TPC Racing DSC Box.
B6 / DSC is exactly what I’ve done..and very happy with the result
Old 09-27-2019, 04:27 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by systech
B6 / DSC is exactly what I’ve done..and very happy with the result
I agree, the stock set up with PASM is much improved by the TPC magic box, and I'm really happy with my standard dampers, H&Rs, magic box and a good alignment. But if I didn't have PASM, I'd be running the Öhlins R&T - they're very good on my other car.
The following users liked this post:
Kuhl997.2! (09-28-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,953 Posts

I have the B16s with TPC's DSC box, RSS Stage 2 suspension, cargraphic AirLift for the nose, and the setup is sublime. I'm sure you've seen the photos. Keep an eye out for used B16s and make part of the purchase having the original owner send them to Bilstein for a refurb and test before you buy them. It will add about a month to your lead time and about $300 to your purchase price, but you'll have fully tested and refurbed set that's like new to install. That's what I worked out with the seller of mine.

The Tractive DDAs seem awesome, but are probably 3x the price of used and refurbished Bilsteins. I just didn't have the $ to go that route.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:51 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Yea the B16’s is what I’m thinking. A friend just derailed my thought process and said I should walk away from this idea and focus on getting the front aero to offset my recent Getty Design ducktail purchase. His thoughts are my car sits nicely because of the H&R’s and I would always notice the front aero.

decisions decisions decisions!!!!
Old 09-27-2019, 04:29 PM
shrumdog
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I killed my pasm on 997.1 2S and went ohlins. easy to adjust and loving them
Old 09-28-2019, 03:47 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

I am not sure what problem with OEM stock suspension you are trying to solve. There is nothing wrong with them if they function properly. Especially with an option of DSC box, all power to you...you would better go to your local DE event and spend time with instructor or a coach in my humble opinion.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Yea the B16’s is what I’m thinking. A friend just derailed my thought process and said I should walk away from this idea and focus on getting the front aero to offset my recent Getty Design ducktail purchase. His thoughts are my car sits nicely because of the H&R’s and I would always notice the front aero.

decisions decisions decisions!!!!
Im in the same boat. My “to do” list
Slotted rotors and hawk pads (de days very soon)
aero nose (make it pretty)
Coilovers- to get it lower. H&R springs are ok for now, but i want it a bit lower. Bilsteins are on the top of the list to keep pasm, but i have also been considering deleting it and going with regular coilovers
Old 10-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

I did BC coilovers. They don't support PASM, but I honestly never cared for PASM anyway and never missed it once deleting it.

Quick Reply: Coilover advice