Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche, First Post, Hello Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 09:48 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMC2
Congrats and welcome.

I have a very similar setup to you (see my full build and DIY list below) and while the ride is definitely firm I could never go back to stock (but I am comparing from a perspective of Atlanta / Georgia roads).

You mention "19" Sport design wheels", but the pics you posted appear to show the 991 20" wheels.
If that is the case, it would also be a contributing factor.
When I originally acquired the car I did some research to determine where the wheels were from. I know they are the 991 "sport design" wheels which typically came in 20", but the tires on them are in fact 19". I will confirm this again when I get to my vehicle tonight.
Old 09-17-2019 | 09:50 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Welcome to the Club! I always say your first Porsche is like taking the red pill... You will never look at cars the same way again! As far as harsh ride... Move out of LA The roads here, especially freeways, suck! Even with PASM the 405/5 fwy will rattle your fillings out. But then again, we have some of the best mountain and canyon roads always close by. Changing wheels, tires, and tire pressure will definitely help, but will also change how the car handles in the canyons if you go more for comfort and softness. I agree with others... If you don't mind the look of 18s with bigger side walls, then those are the best for comfort with your current spring setup.. I have Michelin Sport 4S, eibach springs, on 19s. I love the tire and I avoid the lanes that I know are total junk and torn up, but you can't escape every bad road here in LA... there are just too many!! .
Unfortunately a lot of my intraweek driving is on surface streets. They're constructing a train line right near where I live and the road is completely torn. I have to avoid it at all costs. Slowly starting to feel out which lanes I need to be in on my commute for max comfort, was never a concern before!

I think I'm ultimately going to find a way to make it work with the 19s cause they look too good and I don't know if I want to jeopardize shelling out a bunch of money for 18s just to be unsatisfied with fitment. Curious if the move to 18s would be significant enough to justify or only a small incremental improvement that wouldn't be worth it. I'll have to try to find somebody with 18s willing to let me take it for a spin.
Old 09-17-2019 | 10:15 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ripking
...I'll have to try to find somebody with 18s willing to let me take it for a spin.
That’s my advise. Boxster and cayman wheels 986 & 987s are good examples to try (same 18s).

FlatSixS
Old 09-17-2019 | 10:25 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Welcome! Looks great. I sympathize with your plight; my car is in NYC with PASM with Eibach springs, on 19s. I did acquire some winter wheels (still need to get tires) in 18" and as this will be my first winter with the car, it will be interesting to see how that changes things. I think my Christmas present for myself this year will be the DSC controller...
Old 09-17-2019 | 10:26 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Wilkommen.

I like those wheels a lot.
Old 09-17-2019 | 10:28 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
Welcome! Looks great. I sympathize with your plight; my car is in NYC with PASM with Eibach springs, on 19s. I did acquire some winter wheels (still need to get tires) in 18" and as this will be my first winter with the car, it will be interesting to see how that changes things. I think my Christmas present for myself this year will be the DSC controller...
It is comforting to me reading some of these responses that those with PASM don't have that much improvement in softness over stock. Totally thought I blew it by not researching that enough prior to purchase.
Old 09-17-2019 | 11:43 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the club. Really nice looking 997. If you have PASM then look into the DSC module. Although I dont have one yet it seems everyone that installed one is quite happy with the overall ride quality.
Old 09-18-2019 | 12:17 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Default Welcome!

Great purchase! Enjoy it! I’m not surprised you find the 997 stiff after the 4-series. Those ride like a sofa!

Anyway, no one has mentioned the RSS rear links. My understanding is that those eliminate the stock rubber bushing ends. Not really a weight-bearing part, but if the RSS rod ends are truly heim-jointed, then they could be contributing to your crashy ride. Otherwise, softening tire pressures and loosening the sway bars are your best bet.

On a side note, I had no idea Porsche ever made a 19” version of that wheel. I figured they were 20” when I saw the pic. Are they OEM?

Again, welcome! I think all these little toothing pains will soon be in the rear view and you’ll be loving you ride. Enjoy in good health!
Old 09-18-2019 | 03:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Welcome to the Club! I always say your first Porsche is like taking the red pill... You will never look at cars the same way again! As far as harsh ride... Move out of LA The roads here, especially freeways, suck! Even with PASM the 405/5 fwy will rattle your fillings out. .
Based on the number of threads about "harsh ride" that keep occurring, roads in a lot of other places than just LA must really suck. Maybe Florida has some of the best roads in the US. Not for one moment have I ever thought about the ride quality of any of my 997's. All three have been lowered with H&R springs but I admit, neither one one has been driven out of state. And, it is after all a sports car so I guess I never expected a plush Lincoln/Cadillac ride.

To the OP's question, 18" wheels will probably improve your ride somewhat but won't add anything to what looks like a beautiful car imo. If anything I'm almost certain it'll take away from it.
Old 09-18-2019 | 09:13 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Great purchase! Enjoy it! I’m not surprised you find the 997 stiff after the 4-series. Those ride like a sofa!

Anyway, no one has mentioned the RSS rear links. My understanding is that those eliminate the stock rubber bushing ends. Not really a weight-bearing part, but if the RSS rod ends are truly heim-jointed, then they could be contributing to your crashy ride. Otherwise, softening tire pressures and loosening the sway bars are your best bet.

On a side note, I had no idea Porsche ever made a 19” version of that wheel. I figured they were 20” when I saw the pic. Are they OEM?

Again, welcome! I think all these little toothing pains will soon be in the rear view and you’ll be loving you ride. Enjoy in good health!
After doing a bit of research I suspect the rear links could be the culprit as well. Most of the "bang" and "thump" I get is from the rear of the vehicle (maybe motor mounts? I duno...). Problem with the car as currently configured is the fact its been lowered. Everything was installed at Sharkwerks and the stance is currently pretty perfect. I suspect that if I replaced the rear links with stock parts that it wouldn't sit quite as perfectly and tire wear would become an issue. Then it opens up the whole can of worms of going back to stock parts, springs, etc and then not being happy with with the look. Oh well! Got it not too recently so maybe I'll get used to it and if not then I'll pursue softening it up at the expense of aesthetics. I suppose I'm still young enough that I can handle a little bit of harshness. Definitely reminds me a bit of the Focus ST days for sure!

Yes I believe the wheels are OEM but i can't say for sure. When I had the PPI completed the mechanic noted that the wheels were very high quality and made in Germany so I presume they are OEM.
Old 10-15-2019 | 08:35 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Wanted to post an update. Over the last few weeks the ride had gotten increasingly worse and now damping is effectively non-existent. Took it into my indie today and sure enough both of the rear shocks are completely shot. It was what I suspected was happening with the car. Interesting little surprise though... Put the car up on the lift and discovered that there were KW V3 coilovers that had been previously installed. When I bought the car, the paperwork with the had indicated that there were Techart springs installed by Sharkwerks (presumably on the original shocks but can't say for sure). Some time between then and when it was sold to me the prior owner had put on the KWs. Seems unusual that the rears would both be shot by now as it had probably been a little over a year since those were put on. The fronts were completely fine.

Anywho, once the rears are replaced I suspect that most of my issues with the car and ride quality will be cleared up. Thankfully they are fairly adjustable so I should be able to dial in a ride quality that is agreeable! If anyone has used these KW's before would love to hear your settings for street comfort and occasional canyon carving.
Old 10-15-2019 | 08:51 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I highly doubt the wheels are OEM, I don't think Porsche made that design in a 19" As far as riding closer to the BMW, its not gonna happen and like has been mentioned, the ride provides a ton of driver feedback, which I love. At a level that M cars will never reach. Once I moved from my M3 (with suspension mods) to my 911 (stock suspension at the time), I could never go back.

Also interesting that they did all of those mods, but not a simple Gundo hack. Make sure you know that you don't have the sport exhaust or a gundo or fister mod before you start thinking about doing it.
Old 10-15-2019 | 09:16 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
I highly doubt the wheels are OEM, I don't think Porsche made that design in a 19" As far as riding closer to the BMW, its not gonna happen and like has been mentioned, the ride provides a ton of driver feedback, which I love. At a level that M cars will never reach. Once I moved from my M3 (with suspension mods) to my 911 (stock suspension at the time), I could never go back.

Also interesting that they did all of those mods, but not a simple Gundo hack. Make sure you know that you don't have the sport exhaust or a gundo or fister mod before you start thinking about doing it.
There's definitely no gundo hack, I can hear it with my own two ears. Don't want it to ride like the BMW! But I think now that the rear shocks will be replaced most of my complaints will be resolved.

You might be right on the wheels, I've never seen them as a 19". They do look good though!
Old 10-15-2019 | 09:20 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodH

Isn't that just a 991.1 wheel on his car?
Old 10-15-2019 | 10:12 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H
Isn't that just a 991.1 wheel on his car?
They are in the style of the carrera classic wheel from the 991, but those were only made in 20" as far as I can tell. The wheels on my car are 19s. For what it's worth, the inside of the wheel is printed that they are made in Germany but I have not been able to find a source that says these would be OEM in that size.

Quick Reply: First Porsche, First Post, Hello Everyone!