Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Porsche, First Post, Hello Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2019 | 03:59 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Default First Porsche, First Post, Hello Everyone!

Long time reader of this forum, first time poster, and first time Porsche owner. Before I start just wanted to thank everyone on here. This is the most valuable Porsche ownership website on the Internet and reading through here really helped guide purchasing decisions and also think about a bunch of different angles for how to improve things as well.

I've wanted a 911 since I was 10 years old. A 993 would be ideal for me, but they're a bit out of my price range now. I was going back and forth between 997.1 and 997.2's and ultimately decided on a 2009 997.2 C2 6MT. Black with black leather. A little over 71K on the odometer when I picked her up after a clean PPI here in Los Angeles. My previous cars include various BMW 3-series, a 3-year stint in a 2013 Focus ST, and my last car was a BMW 435i Gran Coupe. Going back in time to a 997 has been a bit of a trip, the car is so much more analog than I have been using to driving recently. It's much more raw, and it's been a breath of fresh air frankly. A bit bumpy at times, but on smooth roads it's a thing of beauty.

The prior owner had a bunch of goodies installed at Sharkwerks up in Northern California, including:
  • 19" Porsche Sport Design Wheels
  • Sharkwerks Muffler Bypass
  • Sharkwerks Lightweight Flywheel
  • RSS adjustable toe steer and rear link kit
  • TechArt Springs
  • Numeric Racing Shifter (amazing!)
  • EVOMSit Tune
  • Upgraded F&R sways
  • Upgraded Carplay Alpine head unit and amplifier

Just installed a Raceseng weighted shift **** last night (will post a review soon). Next up: Gundo hack or Fisters. Just took the car up to Angeles Crest Hwy for its first run through the canyons last weekend and it was really quite an experience. Really thrilled to be a Porsche owner now and looking forward to getting more involved in the community going forward.

One comment/question for all readers... I realize after having made the purchase that I didn't do enough research regarding PASM and how important that would have been. The ride is a bit harsh compared to what I'm used to (feels fairly similar to my ST but much more harsh than my bimmers). I understand it's a sports car, but on rough LA roads it can be pretty unbearable at times. Other than moving to 18" tires (really loving the current fitment on 19s), are there any of the modifications previously installed by the last owner in the list above that I should consider moving back to stock that might make a material impact on ride compliance? I have looked at doing a DSC Sport retrofit with Bilstein damptronics but I think I'll wait til shocks need actual replacement before plunking down money for that.

Some pictures below from Angeles Crest this past weekend:

The following 3 users liked this post by Ripking:
Big Swole (09-17-2019), jkoravos (09-18-2019), PhillyNate (09-18-2019)
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:22 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

What tire pressure are you running (and tires brand and how old) ? Makes a big difference, at least on my with 18"s it does. In the low 30's lbs for me and my car is tight and quiet, but not harsh. I have a 2005 C2 base with Eibachs and 35k miles on it and fairly new Bridgestone all seasons.
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:29 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
What tire pressure are you running (and tires brand and how old) ? Makes a big difference, at least on my with 18"s it does. In the low 30's lbs for me and my car is tight and quiet, but not harsh. I have a 2005 C2 base with Eibachs and 35k miles on it and fairly new Bridgestone all seasons.
I am running 34 in the fronts and 40 in the rears. Just received a new tire pressure gauge this morning to make sure its accurate, but the TPMS in-car looks right. Just got a tread measuring tool as well so will check that this evening but they do seem ok.

If I recall correctly, it's running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s that I think are probably around 12-18 months old with I possibly around 5k-7.5k miles on em. Can't know for sure.
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:31 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Welcome. Agreed on the tires. I purchased my car just over a year ago (2005 C2S) and it had 7 year old tires. I replaced them (with Hankooks), and the ride was noticeably less harsh.
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:32 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sbbarnett
Welcome. Agreed on the tires. I purchased my car just over a year ago (2005 C2S) and it had 7 year old tires. I replaced them (with Hankooks), and the ride was noticeably less harsh.
Did you go with the Ventus V12s? Had those on my 435i and loved them.
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:44 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Welcome. Very nice car you've found.

Tire pressure will help to get the ride feel dialed in even more on the 19"s than the 18"s. I have both for mine. Try 34f/37r cold and see how that feels and then go from there. This is the biggest contributor to ride comfort. If the tires are on the full load pressure(39f/44r I think), which is not uncommon for a dealer to do, they will be much more stiff.

But you've got two other elements that are going to contribute to a firm ride. The Techart springs I would imagine are a stiffer spring than stock. And you've got aftermarket swaybars, which are going to firm up the car a little more. If the sway bars are of the adjustable variety, try setting them in their softest setting. You can't do much from that point other than go forward by changing the dampers to something adjustable (Not sure what is available) and working through the settings until you get it where you want to be, going even further to a coilover setup, or going back to the stock springs and sway bars (which should be easy to acquire through the forum).
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:45 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Ripking: Yes - that's what I got. Been very happy with them.
Old 09-17-2019 | 04:55 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Welcome! Me too joined to this site recently, In my case I got a 06 C2S Cabrio. Mine being an S comes with PASM as standard, and I can tell you that it behaves “stiff” as sometimes hash ride as other 911 with 19” wheels that I tested. It seems that 18s are better to soft the ride a little bit, and also tire pressure, tire type (brand) and the age of tires also play a fair amount in the equation for a softer ride. Mine came with a set of Bridgestone’s and seems that bridge’s walls are stiffer that other brands but barely they have 2k miles rear and 10k front, so I’ll keep them until is time to change them. The Pilot PS4s are recommended for better handling and softer ride, and those are the tires that I’m planning to replace when times come. I tried PASM in “normal” and sport mode, and frankly sport mode is really harsh if you happen to drive in anything that isn’t near perfect (as a track course). Maybe could work better if using a DSC box for remap the settings but it will cost about $1.2k.
My suggestion, as was already noted above, is to first check tires. Then maybe borrow a set 18s (OEM for 911 base without PASM) and see how the ride improves.
Just remember that is a sport car and was tuned for that. Congratulations and enjoy you 911! These P-cars are really amazing machines.
Cheers!
FlatSixS
Old 09-17-2019 | 05:35 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

The Techart springs should not be any different to the ride - I replaced my stock springs with have Eibach's to lower the car and it actually rides better. I would go lower than 37Lbs (try 33-34,) but i don't know for sure being that you have 19's and less sidewall - too low and you run the risk of blowout going over potholes, etc. I do understand that the beefier sway bars would also contribute to the stiffer ride, so if you can dial those back a bit it might help.
Old 09-17-2019 | 05:53 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Welcome!

Old 09-17-2019 | 06:01 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Nice Ride!! Congrats!

Welcome.
Old 09-17-2019 | 07:39 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Congrats!! Love the wheels!
Old 09-17-2019 | 08:29 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Welcome! I also came from a 3 series to a 428 to the 997.2 (black with black leather 6speed!). I also bought a higher mileage option and it has been great. One thing I would possible do different is consider getting a warranty. My car consumes a good amount of oil and a warranty would be great peace of mind. Love the wheels. I have the fabspeed exhaust tips and I think it has a large visual impact.
Old 09-17-2019 | 08:41 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the Club! I always say your first Porsche is like taking the red pill... You will never look at cars the same way again! As far as harsh ride... Move out of LA The roads here, especially freeways, suck! Even with PASM the 405/5 fwy will rattle your fillings out. But then again, we have some of the best mountain and canyon roads always close by. Changing wheels, tires, and tire pressure will definitely help, but will also change how the car handles in the canyons if you go more for comfort and softness. I agree with others... If you don't mind the look of 18s with bigger side walls, then those are the best for comfort with your current spring setup.. I have Michelin Sport 4S, eibach springs, on 19s. I love the tire and I avoid the lanes that I know are total junk and torn up, but you can't escape every bad road here in LA... there are just too many!! .
Old 09-17-2019 | 09:26 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Congrats and welcome.

I have a very similar setup to you (see my full build and DIY list below) and while the ride is definitely firm I could never go back to stock (but I am comparing from a perspective of Atlanta / Georgia roads).

You mention "19" Sport design wheels", but the pics you posted appear to show the 991 20" wheels.
If that is the case, it would also be a contributing factor.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-subm...iy-thread.html

Quick Reply: First Porsche, First Post, Hello Everyone!