HPDE and stock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default HPDE and stock brakes

Hello,
2005 c2S is new to me. I have many years of track experience and racing. My intent with the C2S is a street car that I can OCCASIONALLY drive to bucket list tracks and do a DE on street tires rather than trailer my race car to it.

Question: Do the OE brake pads and Fluid do a good job for this? I would rather not go down the road of getting spares for this as it will be 1-2 times a year. If I need to swap pads then so be it but I have coached a number of students with cars like AMG MB or Corvettes that did DE’s on stock set ups and the pads remained meaty all day.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:14 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock Textars are “OK” on the track, they will fade if you are pushing hard. You need to change the fluid occasionally anyways, so I would probably go with something better than stock, like Motul. Have fun, what tracks do you want to run on?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
The stock Textars are “OK” on the track, they will fade if you are pushing hard. You need to change the fluid occasionally anyways, so I would probably go with something better than stock, like Motul. Have fun, what tracks do you want to run on?
I have a case of Motul 660 so no worries to flush the fluid. All the pads I use for racing are corrosive and brutal on rotors (hawk blue, carbotech xp12) so I would rather finds a compromise pad if I am going to buy another pad. Something I can drive to the track with and not so hard on rotors. I will be on street tires and will of course push a little but not like I am trying to run personal best laps on timer. Any suggestions for a compromise pad?

Tracks: Barber, VIR, Watkins Glen, Road America, COTA, Mid-Ohio

Anything farther from MIami I will just rent track side.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:50 AM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

From my research the only pad that is halfway decent as dual purpose is the Ferodo DS2500.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

Miami, I track motorcycles close to 20 weekends a year, but hadn't tracked a car in probably 10 years. Bought the 911 in December and first track day was in March. With your experience, you will need new pads and fluid, at the very least. After the first session, getting comfortable with braking points, I was already cooking the pads and having lots of fade, this was at NCCAR; which doesn't have a super long straight. I was actually disappointed in the stock setup. I'd also add that the GT3 brake ducts are cheap and probably a great addition as well.

Specifically, if you're gonna drive up to VIR, a home track for me, that front straightaway is long and fast. And if you're on full course, the backside straight is also long and fast.

Cw
Old 09-10-2019, 01:47 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice
I have a case of Motul 660 so no worries to flush the fluid. All the pads I use for racing are corrosive and brutal on rotors (hawk blue, carbotech xp12) so I would rather finds a compromise pad if I am going to buy another pad. Something I can drive to the track with and not so hard on rotors. I will be on street tires and will of course push a little but not like I am trying to run personal best laps on timer. Any suggestions for a compromise pad?

Tracks: Barber, VIR, Watkins Glen, Road America, COTA, Mid-Ohio

Anything farther from MIami I will just rent track side.
Stock pads will fade on you at Road America if you are a decent driver and you are doing 30min+ sessions and Sport Cup 2 street tires. It's a fast track so you'll be scrubbing speed from 140+, 3 times per lap. That's a lot of heat.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:55 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Thanks guys. Will explore the Forodo pad. If not does anybody suggest a good track pad? Always hear Hawk DTC 70 are a good feel/ less dusty but that’s for a spec Miata. Don’t know what the favorites are for the 911 track crowd for a street driven/steer tire car.

I am not a big fan of those insane long straights. I have seen the carnage. I know both VIR and Road America are big dog tracks and you see it go terribly wrong with the professionals there.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:11 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Thanks guys. Will explore the Forodo pad. If not does anybody suggest a good track pad? Always hear Hawk DTC 70 are a good feel/ less dusty but that’s for a spec Miata. Don’t know what the favorites are for the 911 track crowd for a street driven/steer tire car.

I am not a big fan of those insane long straights. I have seen the carnage. I know both VIR and Road America are big dog tracks and you see it go terribly wrong with the professionals there.
Pagid Yellow
PFC 08's

Both squeal on the street.
On a positive note, earlier this year they installed a SAFER barrier at the kink at Road America.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:28 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Moreover, since you're in a .1 like me, you'll likely need to make some additional changes if you want to ensure you're driving home after the weekend.

Oil pan baffles
3rd radiator.
Function first or similar cable attachments to the transmission.

Cw
Old 09-10-2019, 04:09 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

No, not at your level.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:32 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Moreover, since you're in a .1 like me, you'll likely need to make some additional changes if you want to ensure you're driving home after the weekend.

Oil pan baffles
3rd radiator.
Function first or similar cable attachments to the transmission.

Cw
Oil pan baffles needed for street tires?
Old 09-10-2019, 05:07 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I guess it depends on your tires, these new tires are sticky! and how risk adverse you are. There are reports on this forum of people having the oil light come on during long hard corners...

Something to consider.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Oil pan baffles needed for street tires?
M97 engine in your “S” should have oil pan baffles stock.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
M97 engine in your “S” should have oil pan baffles stock.
The .2 has better baffles than the .1.

Cw
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

I did the x51 baffle for occasional track use. The sump is super easy to drop.

I used OEM pads at Mid-Ohio in the spring when I had it out on a whim. I certainly had to remain aware that I had stock pads and the car wouldn’t slow like my S2k on race pads, but it worked to just have fun. I am heading back to mid-Ohio in October and plan to take the 997, I will just use OEM pads.

Quick Reply: HPDE and stock brakes