Sponsored by:

Oil Level Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:10 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil Level Normal?

I've owned my 997.1 for just over a month now. I had a PPI done and a bore scope done by a reputable Indy shop in my area. No scoring, no issues, the car is in overall good condition.

I had the oil changed and have put on 450 miles over the past 3 weeks. The other day I noticed that the oil level has dropped from the top arrow to where it's showing now.

I've read that these cars eat up oil, but should I be worried? Or should I just top it off and keep an eye on it?

Old 09-09-2019, 09:14 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

I try to keep mine right there, not above but also not below the line below. haha. That sounds weird. So, not above that line, or below the line below where you are now. Better?
When I got my car, it had been serviced by Hohen and the oil was right there. When I have gotten oil changes at my local indie, it is also always right there.
Oh, and about the burning off of some oil, my car doesn't really burn oil but if it sits for a week, and then I drive it, there will be fluctuations. I rarely if ever add oil in my car but over the years, every car I have owned and all of the owners of the same models have different stories on how their cars consume oil. Last, the oil level gauge thingy is VERY picky about how my car is parked. At work, I park on some parking ramp inclines, and this affects oil levels by a coupe bars sometimes! However, at home, in my fairly level garage, I get consistent readings, so I tend to focus on those.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:03 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Thanks, that all makes sense.... But my oil level has dropped from that top line to where it shows now.

I only take note of the oil measurement in my garage, same time of day, so those variables are consistent.

The oil pressure is normal so I guess I’ll just keep an eye on it and call the Indy shop tomorrow.

Any other opinions? Sorry for sounding like a noobie worry wart new owner!!
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

When they filled it it could have been just a fraction from where you see it now so using just a tad dropped it to the next lower level. Just keep checking it to be sure it's not plummeting.
The following users liked this post:
TractControlOff (09-10-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 10:33 PM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Originally Posted by KLS
When they filled it it could have been just a fraction from where you see it now so using just a tad dropped it to the next lower level. Just keep checking it to be sure it's not plummeting.
Thanks, that makes sense. I’ll do that.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Just keep an eye on it. If you end up using more than a quart of oil per thousand miles then you should start thinking about the cause.

If your car is solid with no problems, and you live in a warm climate, it’s perfectly safe to switch to 5W oil. 5W burns a little less and can give you some peace of mind.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does this after I change oil, I agree with others, I think you are just micro quarts away from top bar.
Once I put mine to top bar after an oil change, it stays there for the duration.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:41 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

^^^ that's a good point. The difference from the top is like 2 sips of coffee, or oil if that is your thing. I would definitely recommend NOT topping off until its half. That whole gauge represents 1qt. from my understanding top to bottom.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If your running a 0w oil, these cars tend to burn through this faster in the summer months. Mine was bad with Mobil 1. Switched to Motul 5w-40 and consumption was halved
Old 09-10-2019, 01:40 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

The Entire volume of oil between the markers (excluding overfill and under fill segments) is 1 qrt. So you're only down 1/4 qrt and even at that...
It could just be just below that one segment indicator. Just keep an eye on it and when it gets to the bottom line, add 1/2 qrt and measure it again.
I prefer to keep mine right in the middle to give the AOS a break during high revs.

It's fine. Just keep measuring to get a sense of your burn rate.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 AM
FamilyMan928
Advanced

Thanks everyone!

I just read the owner's manual and here's what it says (p.137):

"The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approx. 1.2 liters. Each segment of the display corresponds to a quantity approx. 0.4 liter."
Old 09-10-2019, 09:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by FamilyMan928
Thanks everyone!

I just read the owner's manual and here's what it says (p.137):

"The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the segment display is approx. 1.2 liters. Each segment of the display corresponds to a quantity approx. 0.4 liter."
Yes, 0.4 liters between segments is correct. In a 997.1 make sure you're only checking the oil before the first driven of the day and only on level ground. No other reading is accurate, even after the countdown timer has counted down from the 10 minute or longer clock.

That level is fine as is up to that top arrow. Anything above the top arrow is not good. I also wouldn't be surprised if you took 3 readings in a row if one of them was slightly different and back at the top arrow. The measuring system isn't great, but it's all we have.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:07 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

How do you check it mid day, if driving long distance? Wait til warning light?

Cw
Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

in the .1 cars you wait until the oil is up to temp and then check it while getting gas or something. It takes about 5 minutes to scan.
in the .2 cars you just check it while at idle.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
How do you check it mid day, if driving long distance? Wait til warning light?

Cw
Correct - don't check it midday after filling up, even though the counter has counted down. Unless your car burns a lot of oil, it won't go from full to being low on oil during the course of a 600-700 mile driving day. If you check it mid-trip, it's going to show you that your're low, you're going to add oil, then in the morning when you check it again, you're going to be over-full. Just check it the next morning and add any oil if needed.

Quick Reply: Oil Level Normal?