Sponsored by:

82mm TB Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019 | 09:18 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Default 82mm TB Installation

Hello all,
i am in the process if installing an IPD comp plenum and bigger GT3 style 82mm TB in my MY06 Carrera S.
the issue i am having is the existing support bracket that holds the oem TB to the PS pump pulley. With the bigger TB, one can no longer use this support bracket without pulling a lot of stress on it if possible.

I am sure this mod is quite common. Anybody care to make a suggestion? Do I just leave the bracket out. Is there a different bracket that can be used?

many thanks in advance
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:11 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

that bracket just aligns the throttle body and stops it from turning downward if there is resonance. Just make sure the clamps are tight on the plenum and you will be good!
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:37 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Thank you kind sir.
Im actually working with my mechanic on fabricating a braket that works, just to be thorough i guess...
Old 09-10-2019 | 09:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Curious what intake you're pairing with this? Going to a larger throttle body opening allows more air to flow in, but at a lower velocity. Max benefit would be achieved by using an intake that straightens the air flow into the throttle body. The best one I've found to do that is the older style Fabspeed J-Pipe that I run on my car. The newer Y-pipe didn't work as well. Next choice if you want an enclosed box is the Evolution Motorsports one.

The absolute best one looks like it would be the Champion F77 CF airbox, but I couldn't fit that one with my supercharger so don't have any direct experience to report with it - it's really pricey too (but beautiful).

Here's the J-Pipe setup with a long gentle compound curve for nice and straight flow and a hydrophobic pre filter wrap.

Old 09-10-2019 | 09:54 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Curious what intake you're pairing with this? Going to a larger throttle body opening allows more air to flow in, but at a lower velocity. Max benefit would be achieved by using an intake that straightens the air flow into the throttle body. The best one I've found to do that is the older style Fabspeed J-Pipe that I run on my car. The newer Y-pipe didn't work as well. Next choice if you want an enclosed box is the Evolution Motorsports one.

The absolute best one looks like it would be the Champion F77 CF airbox, but I couldn't fit that one with my supercharger so don't have any direct experience to report with it - it's really pricey too (but beautiful).

Here's the J-Pipe setup with a long gentle compound curve for nice and straight flow and a hydrophobic pre filter wrap.

Very nice. I am indeed using the the Y shaped Fabspeed Competition Intake. Had bought and installed that first. Im not versed on air flow physics so could not tell difference in performance from that standpoint, but I like the sound and do experience a stronger pull between 3500-5000 rpm as configured with a Supercup Exhaust System and Sport Cat X-pipe from Fabspeed as well. The (loud) sound is intoxicating LOL
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:04 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tuto993
Very nice. I am indeed using the the Y shaped Fabspeed Competition Intake. Had bought and installed that first. Im not versed on air flow physics so could not tell difference in performance from that standpoint, but I like the sound and do experience a stronger pull between 3500-5000 rpm as configured with a Supercup Exhaust System and Sport Cat X-pipe from Fabspeed as well. The (loud) sound is intoxicating LOL
Cool. Interested to see if you can feel a difference from the larger throttle body and plenum. You didn't happen to log a pull with a Durametric before the installation where you were tracking MAF values and fuel trims did you? Comparing that to a post install pull will tell you whether you're seeing any benefit as the MAF readings will show airflow and the fuel trims would show how much fuel is being added to keep the mixture right for the added air. If you're getting more air and more fuel, you're making more power.
Old 09-10-2019 | 12:04 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

As a point of reference, to my understanding, Flat6 innovation uses the stock 3.8 airbox, and has stated on video it flows the best and uses it on the 4.0 liter plus sized engines.

Cw
Old 09-10-2019 | 12:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwheeler
As a point of reference, to my understanding, Flat6 innovation uses the stock 3.8 airbox, and has stated on video it flows the best and uses it on the 4.0 liter plus sized engines.

Cw
That may be true with a normally aspirated setup, but I saw increased MAF and fueling numbers with my Fabspeed setup than with the stock airbox. Possibly because of the forced induction. I also saw a reduction when I went to the Fabspeed Y-Pipe as I think that introduced some turbulence on the intake side with the shorter intake legs and them meeting at the Y junction that I don't have with the J-pipe. That's just on my setup though - can't speak to other normal .1 cars or .2 cars. Had to change the airboxes on both my cars because the active aero rear spoilers we have installed need space for the hydraulic and electric rams down by the sides of the airbox.
Old 09-10-2019 | 01:28 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tuto993
Hello all,
i am in the process if installing an IPD comp plenum and bigger GT3 style 82mm TB in my MY06 Carrera S.
the issue i am having is the existing support bracket that holds the oem TB to the PS pump pulley. With the bigger TB, one can no longer use this support bracket without pulling a lot of stress on it if possible.

I am sure this mod is quite common. Anybody care to make a suggestion? Do I just leave the bracket out. Is there a different bracket that can be used?

many thanks in advance
Yes there is a different bracket. You need the one that is part of the X51 power kit. It's part number 997.110.423.40, item #3 in the diagrams below

Old 09-10-2019 | 02:51 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

You know I looked into that but at the end of the day did not order because I had no way to confirm that it would work. Anyways, I just ordered it from Sunset. Thank you. I will take picture and let everyone here know for future reference.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: 82mm TB Installation