Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla model 3 performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:41 AM
user 729082021
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 33 Posts

Geez, this should be re-titled "The Hate on Tesla Thread".

Obviously they are not going to be for everyone but I think Tesla should get kudos for making exclusively smoking fast, and subjectively attractive, electric cars, as opposed to a line-up of Nissan Leafs. They're really demonstrating to the world the potential of electric and that it can be practical; not a engineering demonstration like the La Ferrari or similar.

QK
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Like SGT1372 said, performance is nice, but sure ain't all. When can you actually do that 0-60 ??? I don't race, I drive in the city and some highway. So I guess I'd have to be the first at a red light to try it. Even then, in the city the limit is well under 60mph so I can't reach that speed..... On the highway.... Well, I'm already moving and the speed limit doesn't allow me to really try it. Especially since they installed fixed speed radars on the highways...… So to me also, it's about enjoying the ride and how what I drive makes me feel. If some get a kick out of taking a cab or sitting in a silent waiting room, well they will enjoy the Model 3 who's design could have very well been the new model Chevy cavalier or something else boring like that, cause it sure ain't anywhere as sexy as the model S.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:56 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

How's the steering feel on the Model 3?
Old 09-12-2019, 01:16 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
How's the steering feel on the Model 3?
I thought it was excellent. Brakes, shocks, cornering abilities too. In general, it was the funnest car I've ever driven, if I had only to just look through the windshield and nowhere else.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Steering

The RWD is one of the most connected cars I’ve driven , immediate feedback , the AWD is a bit “heavier”’feel and not as nimble but still extremely connected
Old 09-13-2019, 04:51 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
It’s no replacement for my 911, BUT is a car that does everything well. I can hang with supercars, have a tack day , has curb appeal , handles like it’s on rails , comfy, even drives itself , and the best part UNDER 50k, specifically 46 after rebates - that’s crazy **** !! And to top it off , ownership will only cost <1k per year vs 8-10k owning my 911 and a8 and these were paid for ! I loved my 911 and someday will get another but the Model 3 performance is hard to beat on all levels given the price point
Congrats! I would never sell my 911 for a model 3 (totally different things) but there is no other car I’d rather commute in than the model 3. I think the performance version routinely smokes the 997 in autocross. Quite a few model 3s at PCA autocrosses around here. The 997 is charming, small, and light which is what I want in a fun car. It if you can’t have that, being able to get that roller coaster feeling of nearly 1g of forward acceleration any time you want without compunction for fear of wear and tear is not a bad consolation at all.

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Like everything that so clearly revolves around a snapshot in time / era, its design almost immediately looks dated. Like cars in the 80s that went overboard with LCD displays and the latest digital screens for every element). It dates the vehicle almost immediately.

***** and other ways to feel your way around a dash is much more logical when you should be looking at the road, which given the issues with the autonomous modes, people should still be doing even in a Tesla. Using a touchscreen to unnecessarily replace other more direct ways to interact with the car is a big, gimmicky fail. Zero net benefit of requiring the touchscreen to open a glovebox - only a net negative for added complexity and inconvenience.

Half the features in the touch screen on both the X and 3 are gimmicky.
How are the features gimmicky? The map takes up 75% of the screen and the bottom is Hvac controls. The size of the map is a game changer. You can actually see where you are in a neighborhood using the map like an actual map rather than just seeing the upcoming intersection as in all other in car nav units. But this point is lost on most people because people these days don’t know how to read maps anymore.

the rest of the touchscreen controls are vehicle settings like any other modern car, and media controls. Not sure how any of this is gimmicky.

I’m with you on tactile vehicle controls but the ship has sailed on touchscreen controls. Everyone is doing it now, Volvo, 992, Taycan. Maybe someday tactile touchscreen buttons will become a reality.

The minimalism of the Model 3 interior will help it stand the test of time. Busy interiors and controls are what become dated quickly. (Cue the 997.1 PCM). 997.2 is great and so is the 991 but the 992 won’t age well, and neither will those multifunction wheels on Macans. Or that driving mode selector on the steering wheel of pdk cars. Actually scratch that. Any button that says sport will always be cool. I’d hit that overboost button until the end of time.

Originally Posted by Steph1
Like SGT1372 said, performance is nice, but sure ain't all. When can you actually do that 0-60 ??? I don't race, I drive in the city and some highway. So I guess I'd have to be the first at a red light to try it. Even then, in the city the limit is well under 60mph so I can't reach that speed..... On the highway.... Well, I'm already moving and the speed limit doesn't allow me to really try it.
I don’t get this. Why do you have a 911 if you don’t care about performance? And the use case you describe is what a model 3 is perfectly suited for. This is where a model 3’s 0-40 mph performance really shines. It’s a game changer. Having the confidence in the car to be able to merge into pretty much any kind of traffic at will counterintuitively chills me out as a driver. I know I can easily merge into another lane to pass a slow car and the 1 speed transmission is so smooth I don’t care if people cut me off. It’s a game changer for driving in traffic. Conversely, I hate driving my 911 in traffic. It’s terrible in the 0-5 mph range and I’m constantly worried some texting driver would rear end my nice car making it impossible to sell. Why would you put your 911 through that torture?

the model 3 requires no warming up oil, doesn’t care if you just need to take it 1 mi down the road to the post office through 10 long stop lights, doesn’t care if you turn it on cold just to move it one parking space over, takes speed bumps efficiently with regenerative braking, has a short front overhang so hardly ever scrapes, has a huge trunk in addition to frunk storage. It’s pretty much the ultimate urban/suburban sedan.

And the best part? No more worries about IMS failure or bore scoring.
The following 2 users liked this post by loungin:
Mitch911 (01-11-2021), yvesvidal (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:13 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE I don’t get this. Why do you have a 911 if you don’t care about performance? And the best part? No more worries about IMS failure or bore scoring.[/QUOTE]

You're obviously pumped about the model 3 and that's great. Unfortunately, I definitely don't share your excitement. If I was shopping for performance, I wouldn't have bought a 911. I bought my 911 to make a childhood dream come true, for the prestige of the make and for the way I feel when I'm driving that car.... Zero for performance. As for IMS, it did worry me at the beginning, but now that I've learn to know the car, I ain't worried anymore.... Best part is that it's true ! I guess the absence of metal in the filter, zero scoaring and not a drop of oil used since ownership helped put my mind at ease.

FYI, my 911 is my third car, behind a 2017 Audi Q5 and 2018 new jeep wrangler JLU. So I have options to attack heavy traffic, cause it is a fact that the 911 isn't a joy to drive in traffic.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Redhot2474
And to top it off , ownership will only cost <1k per year vs 8-10k owning my 911 and a8 and these were paid for ! I
How did your 911 cost you $8-$10k per year? I don't think I spent anything on mine or my wife's this calendar year except gas and oil changes. On average, I'd say they cost about $2,000 to run per year. Now if you're counting depreciation, gas, maintenance, insurance, etc maybe you can get to $5k but the tesla being a new car is going to have more depreciation than a 997 bought now, still needs insurance, and you have to pay for the electricity for charging and the charging setup. I don't see how you came up with those comparative numbers.
SpeedyD (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Wow. What a thread.

More than anything this thread highlights how far apart the ethos is for different owners of these cars. Some folks (maybe most).. just want a 911 for what it represents, but not what it is as a car. In that case the move to something like a Tesla makes sense. And its great how many people buy a 997 without a sense of what it is as a car, or what their actual reasons are for buying. It makes it possible for me to buy one used at a great discount.

Tastes change, sure.. but going from a 997 to a Tesla (as a replacement) seems more like someone had no clue what they were getting into when buying the 997. Better to live and learn and enjoy the Model 3!
SpeedyD (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Like it or not EV is the future of cars, they will just keep getting better and making ICE cars looks foolishly slow and clunky. Doesn't mean you can't love the ol' ICE 997 but it's silly to claim the EV platform isn't technically superior. It clearly is. I admit, I like the sound of the ICE engine and exhaust but I also feel a little stupid for wanting something with lower performance because it sounds nice. I've always been a function over form guy but I admit the ICE vs EV has me wondering if I'm getting soft.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

This isn’t above the EV market potential, what is superior etc, just about the model 3, today.

Interior is ugly, not comfortable and looks and feels cheap at the price point. Of course it IS cheap since Tesla is not profitable and they need to find margin somewhere...

The display and much of the controls are gimmicky, not intuitive, and are functionally inferior. Opening a glovebox through a touch screen is inferior and makes no sense. BTW about 10% of a new S Class interior features are also gimmicks but that compares to probably 70% of what I experienced and saw in a Model 3.

It is an inferior car at the price point for everything except acceleration.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

While I agree that the interior is cheap and the ergonomics are dopey and are sure to be problematic long-term, the cars are selling like hot-cakes.

Other people's priorities don't always make sense to me.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Also, for sake of context, I was looking at Teslas as we may replace our XC60 with another car. Highest priorities are safety and comfort with this vehicle (wife’s primary car and the baby hauler). Comparisons are against XC90 and certified S550s. Obviously the Model X and S against the 550 and all three vs the XC90. We are not luddites... even toying with idea of T8 for short distance electric mode...

We have 7 cars and they include American, German, Swedish, Japanese, Italian amongst them, so no Tesla or brand hate either.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:51 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
The display and much of the controls are gimmicky, not intuitive, and are functionally inferior. Opening a glovebox through a touch screen is inferior and makes no sense. BTW about 10% of a new S Class interior features are also gimmicks but that compares to probably 70% of what I experienced and saw in a Model 3.

It is an inferior car at the price point for everything except acceleration.
The glove box is like 1% of the touchscreen functionality. The rest of the car is just a car. Not sure how those are gimmicks. It's actually quite simple and intuitive to use. I like that the steering wheel doesn't overwhelm you with buttons. You have 2 stalks and 2 buttons to match your 2 hands and that's it. Basic drive controls that are easy to remember how to use.

The seats are more comfortable than a 997 really and they're about the same price. Interior is more like a C class than an S class but then again, it's priced like a C class. Not sure why you're comparing a $100k+ car against a $40k car. But for being stuck in traffic 0-5mph, nothing beats the smoothness of a single speed electric drive, the quick throttle response, and autopilot cruise control, not to mention fuel savings and wear and tear on an ICE motor. So if you actually have to commute, there is nothing better than a model 3 at this point.

Save the 997 for fun drives and road trips so it lasts another 20 years because there will not be anything like it again.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Originally Posted by loungin

Save the 997 for fun drives and road trips so it lasts another 20 years because there will not be anything like it again.
+1

That's exactly why I only put about 5,000 miles/year on mine. Being only 1 or 3 or so full R-Kompressors (engine & body) in the US, it's not like I can replace it with the same car again. I'd have to go in a different direction should the unthinkable happen, which would probably be an 09 Turbo with RWD conversion.

Quick Reply: Tesla model 3 performance