Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tesla model 3 performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019 | 12:06 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

Quality at the price level - how about the seatback adjustment levers (in the back row of the Model X) being painful to operate and of low quality plastic?
Hmmm, the climate control buttons in the 997 come to mind here. Just saying
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:54 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Hmmm, the climate control buttons in the 997 come to mind here. Just saying
On my 997.2 they look great... exactly as new.

Also, ironically the soft touch plastic they (Porsche) tried (that didnt hold up) was not cheap like the tesla plastic which feels horrible in a brand new car ... and hurts to the touch...

Ferraris also tried for soft touch and ended up with sticky button issues for years as well...

The fact Tesla allows seatback adjusters to hurt when operated means they skipped proper ergo testing.. no doubt a cost and time to market cutting measure as they rushed their product out the door...
Old 09-10-2019 | 11:22 AM
zamorskii
Advanced

I test drove Model 3 Performance. The drive, instant power and road grip were second to none, but I could not get past the interior, lack of at least heads-up display and limited colors/options. Monitoring speed at the corner of my eye was too much for me.
The following users liked this post:
alexb76 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-10-2019 | 03:28 PM
Floyd Landis
Intermediate

Tesla - the millennial of cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Floyd Landis:
alexb76 (09-12-2019), SpeedyD (09-16-2019)
Old 09-10-2019 | 04:25 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Subwoofers and speakers can help the sound
Taycan is doing this. Depending on what driver mode you chose or when chosing launch control the "Fake" engine/speaker noise changes.

Or you can get this app pick any exotic car and play it through your cars bluetooth / car speakers

Old 09-10-2019 | 04:42 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

As mentioned before, I let my wife make the EV decisions because it is her daily more or less. She had the Leaf and then an i3rex, which I was a big fan of both for opposite reasons—loaded leaf was a great cruiser, and the more spartan but loaded i3rex was much more sporty.
When shopping a few months back, I was dazzled by the Tesla model 3. I felt it was better than the other non-Leaf, non-i3 options but my wife just straight up felt it was not worth it as people have mentioned above and opted for a Bolt, which kind of blew my mind because it was not a money decision but more a perceived value decision made by someone with no EV budget concerns. To me the Bolt isn't better than the Model 3 but more worth the price of lease.
My wife's opinion is also interesting in that, she has become a car person only because of EVs. Before she got her Leaf, she was fairly ambivalent to cars in general, so through thick and thin, she just drove a basic Civic Lx Sedan until I got T-Boned in it by some grandma who got confused about which side of the road to drive on. However, once EVs became a viable option, mainly with the debut of the first Leaf, she is somewhat of an enthusiast.
I just liked the performance and design of the exterior of the Model 3 (basically a 997 hood, lol). The interior of most EVs is not what I want...but then again, what I want is a 997 with a better/more minimal HVAC and ICE interface, so...maybe not so relevant.
Last, I think it is also worth mentioning that she also passed on the X and the S.
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:07 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quiverkiller
I saw a video somewhere where the model 3 romped a M3 competition around the track. Still don't think I could do it.
Probably for a single lap. You can't do track days or push the car super hard for long periods of time. They aren't even tempting to me. I race karts, dirt bikes, and love my 911. Sound (and even to an extend, smell) is a sense that, if ignored, takes away from the experience (at least for me it does). To each their own tho, i don't wear an apple watch, and instead wear one of a few timepieces with automatic movements. I just love mechanical things, but that might just be me.
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbennett
I laughed out loud on that one. It reminded me of this one:
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
Probably for a single lap. You can't do track days or push the car super hard for long periods of time. They aren't even tempting to me. I race karts, dirt bikes, and love my 911. Sound (and even to an extend, smell) is a sense that, if ignored, takes away from the experience (at least for me it does). To each their own tho, i don't wear an apple watch, and instead wear one of a few timepieces with automatic movements. I just love mechanical things, but that might just be me.
Pretty sure I saw a Model 3 run multiple laps and pass some pretty impressive cars along the way. I even think the driver was a well known driver with creds...
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:37 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

in all fairness... I like this guys channel. He has a few awesome super cars and did give a nice review of the Model 3.

Old 09-11-2019 | 09:25 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Pretty sure I saw a Model 3 run multiple laps and pass some pretty impressive cars along the way. I even think the driver was a well known driver with creds...
Nico Rossberg burned a Tesla 3 at the ring yesterday, you hear any lap times yet?
Old 09-12-2019 | 04:21 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Driven and sat in Model 3. Not impressed for the price point but that is just me. Cabin already looks dated, quality is poor for price point, comfort is poor for price point, and I don't get how it can even be perceived as a substitute for a 911.

Of course, if there are practical and space constraints, I can understand having to make a change like this.

I really don't see the Taycan as hitting quite the right points either (yet). I am guessing the next generation (or maybe after that) being compelling.
100% agree, I also find the model 3 iPad control as the ONLY way to control things without a dashboard display actually dangerous and terrible to use. I hate all touchscreen for that matter, but at least in other cars like newer 911, there's still dashboard view and some buttons. The interior quality and fit and finish was 100% subpar, it was above basic Chevy and Chrysler, but below ANY German luxury car. Not to mention the insane amount of issues the cars are reporting off the lot, with no fixes offered or backlogs.
SpeedyD (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 04:26 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
I don't understand you statements.... dated cabin? poor quality? poor comfort for the price point?

I loved the Model 3s blank interior. I do not need a bunch of buttons, it can do all the same things on a touch screen and it SUPER EASY. Its clean and utterly uncluttered, sort of like Modern Furniture compared to the frilly puffy furniture. Just sleek and clean. Its super intuitive and simple and very comfortable. So I can't imagine people saying it uncomfortable. I saw no poor quality issues on my car... but that might be luck. It looks great to me.
Now, I know you're just biased as you sell batteries, loving a battery operated car!

The blank interior is THE WORST part of Model 3, I could have possibly considered it, if it had more button and a front facing dash display for speed, control, etc... like Model S. It's not only blank, it's dangerous, you MUST take your eyes off the road to do anything, with buttons after a while you have muscle memory and can change radio channels, increase temp, change setting, etc without looking! Also, the quality is absolutely poor compared to Porsche or any other luxury car, but I give you that it's better than Chevy or Chrysler interior!
SpeedyD (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 05:12 AM
sgt1372
Pro

Well, for me personally, the enjoyment I get out of driving isn't all about speed.

"Speed" is also a lot like "looks" and "money," there's always someone out there who has more of them than I do. So, I just try to focus on what I can afford, what suits my needs best and what gives me the most enjoyment for the $.

And, I'm not only talking about driving.
Steph1 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019 | 05:19 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zamorskii
I test drove Model 3 Performance. The drive, instant power and road grip were second to none, but I could not get past the interior, lack of at least heads-up display and limited colors/options. Monitoring speed at the corner of my eye was too much for me.
Exactly, if it had a center dash display with some info, plus a few buttons for changing common settings, radio, etc... then I might consider, IF it also had a much better quality interior!

Quick Reply: Tesla model 3 performance